Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MMA & violence

I did juvenile boxing as a teen. we were not allowed full contact matches until 16 and no fc matches without full gear.

that's 14oz gloves, header gear, cup and mouthguard.

not sure kids should be choking each other out while their bodies are still developing.

adult and children bodies are hugely different and training in hard martial arts as a child with full contact etc does have a chance attached to it of irregularities at an older age.

if done properly and with utmost concern for children's safety, then you could do it.

better than the Thai stuff like betting on 9 year olds to knock each others lights out. That kind of stuff is just pathetic.

I do agree there are a lot of schlemiels running ma gyms out there. probably about 90% more than there should be really , but what are ya gonna do? we live in a capitalist and individually aggressive, assertive society that encourages and nurtures domination over others.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

adult and children bodies are hugely different and training in hard martial arts as a child with full contact etc does have a chance attached to it of irregularities at an older age.

if done properly and with utmost concern for children's safety, then you could do it.

better than the Thai stuff like betting on 9 year olds to knock each others lights out. That kind of stuff is just pathetic.

I agree. I think kids can participate in martial arts, but they have to participate as children, not pro fighters in training. I'm not going to bring up basic dog psychology....but there's something about that spartan pardigm of MMA that requires adult comprehension.

Teach the kid wrestling, teach him karate, kickboxing, etc. all with requisite safety gear and precautions. Let him blend later in life and develop that killer instinct on his own--not as something that's a product of his MA training, but as a competitive instinct curious to competition.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    I'd be willing to bet most of the 'trainers' don't have the training or experience needed to train people in MMA. There have been quite a few guys busted over on Bullshido running MMA gyms who have absolutely NO training in MMA at all.
    yeah i'l bet there are more than a few guys who are intermediate at JJ judo and muay thai no trally excelling at either who are peddlingg MMA
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

What park were the kids rolling at again?

Again, where is this rolling in the park you speak of?
    Are you really that lazy that you can't refer back to the first page to get the name of the parks?

"But if you were near either Poly Vista or Pioneer Park a few weeks ago, you may have seen an unsanctioned, unofficial match."

You want to know the city and state go look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    The scary part is you just more or less agreed with what i've been saying, and you're absolutely convinced you got the best of this argument.
    There is no end to the amusement provided by some of these threads. I'm seriously beginning to think that MMA has a detrimental effect on brain cells.

I'd be willing to bet most of the 'trainers' don't have the training or experience needed to train people in MMA. There have been quite a few guys busted over on Bullshido running MMA gyms who have absolutely NO training in MMA at all.
    Are you referring to MMA as a style (combo of MT, BJJ and Boxing) or are these guys teaching with NO martial arts background at all. Not bashing or starting a fight, just want to clarify.

And I train under legit guys who have proven experience and lineage.
    I just really like this statement (mostly the 'lineage' part) coming from a guy training MMA style.

The line between MMA and TCMA is rapidly blurring. Seriously, has a clear definition of MMA been established and agreed on by all? I ask because peeps seem to keep referring to it like it's a style. Case in point the thread on the Southern Forum about CLF vs MMA.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Can't tap out against a stun gun

I suspect there's a lot more to this story....
    Mixed martial arts promoter injured, 15 suspects sought after Que. hotel brawl
    Canwest News Service
    Published: Monday, July 28, 2008

OTTAWA - A 28-year-old Mississauga, Ont., man and another 38-year-old man were knocked unconscious following a brawl in a Gatineau, Que., hotel room Sunday that sent three people to hospital.

Both men regained consciousness later in the day. None of the injuries were life-threatening.

Police responded to a call Sunday of a beating at a hotel room just after 4 a.m.

Lieut. Claude Vaillancourt said six men and two women were in a room on the eighth floor when they heard a knock on the door.

When one occupant opened the door, 15 people entered the room.

The six men were shot with a stun gun and beaten with bottles, said police. The women were unharmed.

Fifteen suspects, all from Ontario, were in Gatineau to participate in an Ultimate Fighting Challenge event at a local arena Saturday night, Vaillancourt said.

The event's promoter was one of the victims taken to hospital, police said.

No names have been released.
    Brawl after Hull martial arts meet leaves man in coma
    Source: CBC News
    Posted: 07/28/08 8:25AM
    Filed Under: Canada

A man remained in a coma in hospital Monday following an assault in Gatineau's Hull district Saturday night on three men who had just participated in a mixed martial arts tournament nearby, Gatineau police reported.

As of Monday morning, no one had been arrested in relation to the attack in which 10 people allegedly showed up at a Best Western hotel room with stun guns and beat the three occupants with bottles and their fists.

The three victims, aged 28 to 38, including two Ontario men, were sent to hospital. Two of them, who suffered from cuts and facial injuries, have been released.

Police confirmed all three had participated in an ultimate fighting tournament at the Robert Guertin Arena Saturday evening and one was the promoter of the event.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just because a few people get into a fights doesn't mean that all or even most MMA guys are into breaking the law by being violent at public events.

The media would have people believe that MMA guys are violent sadists who beat each other up for fun. That may be true for some, but not for the majority. Most MMA guys are simple upstanding citizens who enjoy the art of combat but abhor criminal violence. Lots of guys like to fight, but they don't like to HARM themselves or others.

There's just as much, if not more, violence at a rock concert as there is at a MMA event. Yet nobody automatically claims that people that enjoy rock music and attend rock concerts are violent criminals who break the law.

I think it's better that people exercise their competitive urges in a safe legal setting like a kung fu kwoon or MMA academy than break the law in street brawls. I do not support street brawling in any form, and there's no excuse for it whatsoever.

The majority of MMA is practiced and enjoyed by law abiding citizens who stay within the law. Were that not the case, MMA would be banned nationwide and around the world.

Crime at MMA events is NOT PROFITABLE, financially or situationally.

where i stand...

MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    MMA is a fücking joke. there is no art whatsoever involved in the mma... none. it is the byproduct of fear... men fighting in cages like animals-ironically there are rules. it is an attempt to sever the classic master-disciple relationship... it promotes fear, hate, violence, anger, and aggression... it is an insult to all true martial artists.
    dear lord, another one

what's the matter, did the big bad MMA guy kick sand in your face and kiss your girlfriend?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    dear lord, another one
    well that is what happens when the immune system gets fired up... the re-enforcements coagulate.
    what's the matter, did the big bad MMA guy kick sand in your face and kiss your girlfriend?
    actually the big bad McMartial Arts guy couldn't handle the job and quit... as for one of those fûckers kissing my girlfriend... ha, she's a more solid backfist than any dipsh!t MMA'er. all ego and entertainment. the MMA is for show buisness... eat that tough guy's.
    Last edited by uki; 09-12-2008 at 03:54 AM.

That's nice but the backfist is still a dumb punch.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    That's nice but the backfist is still a dumb punch.
    what better way to knock out a dumb McMartial artist than with a dumb punch...

I've met a fair number of MMA trainees and TMA guys. Seen about the same douche-factor across the board. Which is to say, more than enough, but not as much as expected.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    I've met a fair number of MMA trainees and TMA guys.
    the trainee's are not guys?
    Seen about the same douche-factor across the board.
    i didn't know it was possible to see a douche factor... guess i am looking for the wrong things.
    Which is to say, more than enough, but not as much as expected.
    you mustn't have too high of expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    Where on earth does all this vehemence come from? Haven't you smoked your bowl yet this morning?!

Are there any other sportsmen you detest? Ping-pong players perhaps? Rowers? Volleyball players?

Most guys in MMA train very hard. It's no joke. You sound from your posts like you train hard (good for you) but you're always banging on to others on here about not having experienced your training so not being qualified to comment, yet how much of a serious MMA competition training programme have you experienced?

One the nicest guys I know is a proMMAer: he grew up with wrestling, learnt the whole of the wing chun system first, then fought Thai in Thailand, followed by Japan for jujutsu and submission wrestling. He's a humble nice guy, and supremely skilled. And I've met a lot of smug dismissive vehement TCMAers who accidentally wander onto the wrong board and start posting **** about things they know nothing about...!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Where on earth does all this vehemence come from?
    nature...
    Most guys in MMA train very hard. It's no joke.
    i am not saying they do not train hard... but i believe their reasons for training hard are outta line.
    You sound from your posts like you train hard (good for you) but you're always banging on to others on here about not having experienced your training so not being qualified to comment, yet how much of a serious MMA competition training programme have you experienced?
    i work hard, my entire day is a training day... but i train to be of service to others, not to win competitions and satisfy a false sense of accomplishment.

And I've met a lot of smug dismissive vehement TCMAers who accidentally wander onto the wrong board and start posting **** about things they know nothing about...!
    i wandered right to where i was supposed to go and i am posting the things that need to be posted... random chance of choice.