Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Specialization...

Wing Chun Specialization...

I've been saying this for years now: that wing chun is first and foremost a standup very close quarter striking art - which is why I've added some elements of boxing, MT, and submission style catch wrestling to what I do.

Now the following are some excerpts of a thread entitled "Wing Chun Sucks" from the kung fu forum. Forget the title for a moment and take a look at some of what was said - it's a very interesting read.

"Realistically though, if you compare it to Muay Thai...the style is too short, tight and subtle for the devasting onslaught of the Thai's Smashing Elephant elbows. IMO, for WC/VT to win in a cage match you'd have to know how to fight in that venue and then you could pull out your subtle skills. I feel if a MT fighter studied WC/VT it would be very effective against someone else who just studied MT. Two champs both retire, one studies WC/VT and the other keeps on with the thai training...when they become old men this is where the chunners skills will come out...he knows all the tricks of the thai boxer so he uses his subtle lady like Gung Fu…"

"you gotta know how to fight before you can fight with gung fu which is subtle..."

"wing chun/ving tsun hardly moves the shoulders which does nothing for power when wrestling...muay thai choy li fut hop ga really whip their shoulders giving them the dragon back which is the main stance for clinching...WC/VT doesn't do this imo because it is advanced Gung Fu...you gotta be very skilled and very intelligent to use it against champions. It's elite Gung Fu in theory!"

"….Whereas karate plays with all ranges of combat, wing chun deals with the range of refinement."

"I guess my point is that if you have to learn another fighting system before you can make yours work, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't need to practice Muay Thai in order to be an effective Wing Chun fighter. And I don't think a style that can't produce fighters on its own could possibly be considered more refined than one that works right away. Either WC works or it doesn't...."

"In theory I agree, but the reality is they spend a year doing Sil Lim Tao before they spar from what I've read. I haven't seen any Wing Chun fighters...Choy Li Fut walks through the horse and works on combos for the first year, it's a scrapping style...Wing Chun is a fighting art...the whole not really moving the shoulders when punching is useless for a beginner, to apply that against a powerful opponent you'd need years of sensitivity training."

"Imo, if you want to get good at Wing Chun, get good at MMA fighting and then learn the Art of Wing Chun. I feel the stance is incomplete on it's own..."

"Wing Chun was my first martial art when I was very young. It does have benefits, but it also has one huge weakness. The strikes are simply not powerful enough. When we do Chi Sao, we train to trap the hands, get in close and elbow, punch, etc. But here's the problem. What happens if your opponent is full of rage and adrenalin and one or two close range hits doesn't drop him? That's the reason why I learned Boxing and Choy Lay Fut. Those arts have KO punches using the torque of your body that will drop a guy. You will NOT be able to generate significant power from such a close range as in Wing Chun. You can do all the inch training you want to on wall bags, but it won't really help you in a real fight. I must say though that if you combine the trapping of Wing Chun with a more powerful art, it's very effective. Wing Chun by itself, sorry to say, does indeed suck."

"Wing Chun was originally made up by people who had ALREADY mastered other styles. The took the what they thought were the best principles and made up wing chun. What many wing chunners forget is that these masters already had conditioned hands for grappling, considerable fighting experience, and tempered spirits from years of training. If you just train in wing chun you might be missing out on other elements."
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 03-02-2008 at 12:08 PM.

So what?

The thread name refers to the Bulshido video that we all know love, and the subsequent comments are made by some people who admit limited experience with Wing Chun. So what's the point in responding to that type of discussion?
    As Bruce Lee said in Enter the Dragon - "Don't waste yourself".

Bill-Agreed

No point in over-reacting to the general forum thread.

But- Victor's POV is different from mine FWIW. Wing chun provides great skill development to individuals. But it is upto individuals to adapt to different conditions.
    But if someone feels the need of mixing other things with their wc-that is upto them.

joy chaudhuri

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    But- Victor's POV is different from mine FWIW. Wing chun provides great skill development to individuals. But it is upto individuals to adapt to different conditions.
    But if someone feels the need of mixing other things with their wc-that is upto them.
    Joy,
    I think we're on the same page here as well.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    I've been saying this for years now: that wing chun is first and foremost a standup very close quarter striking art - which is why I've added some elements of boxing, MT, and submission style catch wrestling to what I do.
    were do you train MT or catch? How often?

Blog Entries
    What exactly is the dragon back?
    is this torque/ hip rotation like in boxing?

Here is another link to the weaknesses of wing chun!
    http://wingchunfightclub.org/joomla/...35&topic=107.0
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 03-02-2008 at 08:32 PM.

I fight standup with nothing but WC and so do the students here. They're winning in full contact events so I don't feel the need to add boxing or MT. So I guess it's an individual decision.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I fight standup with nothing but WC and so do the students here. They're winning in full contact events so I don't feel the need to add boxing or MT. So I guess it's an individual decision.
    I think it has to do with a couple of things:

1. That you can bang with it
    2. That you are open minded about what is actually IN your Wing Chun

Best,
    Kenton
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

1) I'm not interested in responding to the guys on the other thread - that's not why I started this thread. Much of their analysis is totally meaningless - so why bother?

2) Fighting full contact standup tournaments - as good as that is for experience - does not address the issues I'm raising here: ie.- why some long range boxing moves and some MT knee and elbow striking from the clinch - along with genuine wrestling/grappling skills - when up against those truly skilled in clinch fighting, shoots, takedowns, and wrestling/grappling both in clinch and on the ground - makes sense...when there are no rules.

(Or close to no rules - as in mma).

I mentioned these excerpts because they provide some interesting outsider's perspectives on wing chun's strengths and weaknesses.

The reaction here was predictable (circle the wagons).
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 03-03-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Actually the most interesting pespective of all on that thread about wing chun (for me) was the idea that some people over there have to the effect that wing chun is an elite fighting system that requires much experience (presumably in other systems) to be fully appreciated. I actually thought of Gary Lam when I read this part, for example:

"Realistically though, if you compare it to Muay Thai...the style is too short, tight and subtle for the devasting onslaught of the Thai's Smashing Elephant elbows. IMO, for WC/VT to win in a cage match you'd have to know how to fight in that venue and then you could pull out your subtle skills. I feel if a MT fighter studied WC/VT it would be very effective against someone else who just studied MT. Two champs both retire, one studies WC/VT and the other keeps on with the thai training...when they become old men this is where the chunners skills will come out...he knows all the tricks of the thai boxer so he uses his subtle lady like Gung Fu…"

"you gotta know how to fight before you can fight with gung fu which is subtle..."

***VERY INTERESTING PERSPECTIVE.

And I was also reminded of William Cheung when I first met him and began training under him when he was still in his early forties....he seemed to know quite a bit about how other stylists like boxers think and move...the importance of using roundhouse kicks to the legs (and how to defend them)...the importance of a more mobile and fluid footwork - including when delivering punches of your own from the lead hand as a means of attack while using the wu sao as the second line of defense from a not facing your centerline to his center position (ie.- the importance of not always facing your centerline to the opponent's center as you're working your way in from longer ranges), etc.

Now the following are some excerpts of a thread entitled "Wing Chun Sucks" from the kung fu forum. Forget the title for a moment and take a look at some of what was said - it's a very interesting read.

"wing chun/ving tsun hardly moves the shoulders which does nothing for power when wrestling...muay thai choy li fut hop ga really whip their shoulders giving them the dragon back which is the main stance for clinching...WC/VT doesn't do this imo because it is advanced Gung Fu...you gotta be very skilled and very intelligent to use it against champions. It's elite Gung Fu in theory!"

"….Whereas karate plays with all ranges of combat, wing chun deals with the range of refinement."

"I guess my point is that if you have to learn another fighting system before you can make yours work, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't need to practice Muay Thai in order to be an effective Wing Chun fighter. And I don't think a style that can't produce fighters on its own could possibly be considered more refined than one that works right away. Either WC works or it doesn't...."

"In theory I agree, but the reality is they spend a year doing Sil Lim Tao before they spar from what I've read. I haven't seen any Wing Chun fighters...Choy Li Fut walks through the horse and works on combos for the first year, it's a scrapping style...Wing Chun is a fighting art...the whole not really moving the shoulders when punching is useless for a beginner, to apply that against a powerful opponent you'd need years of sensitivity training."

"Imo, if you want to get good at Wing Chun, get good at MMA fighting and then learn the Art of Wing Chun. I feel the stance is incomplete on it's own..."

"Wing Chun was my first martial art when I was very young. It does have benefits, but it also has one huge weakness. The strikes are simply not powerful enough. When we do Chi Sao, we train to trap the hands, get in close and elbow, punch, etc. But here's the problem. What happens if your opponent is full of rage and adrenalin and one or two close range hits doesn't drop him? That's the reason why I learned Boxing and Choy Lay Fut. Those arts have KO punches using the torque of your body that will drop a guy. You will NOT be able to generate significant power from such a close range as in Wing Chun. You can do all the inch training you want to on wall bags, but it won't really help you in a real fight. I must say though that if you combine the trapping of Wing Chun with a more powerful art, it's very effective. Wing Chun by itself, sorry to say, does indeed suck."

"Wing Chun was originally made up by people who had ALREADY mastered other styles. The took the what they thought were the best principles and made up wing chun. What many wing chunners forget is that these masters already had conditioned hands for grappling, considerable fighting experience, and tempered spirits from years of training. If you just train in wing chun you might be missing out on other elements."

Hello Victor, I just wanted to add again in case some of the other WC/VT vets read this...I love the style, it's what got me into chinese martial arts...I hate the popular kung fu media, it saddens me that the commies and hollywood business men killed all the masters...then I see Bullshido videos, I thought I'd drop my analysis on the state of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun...from a fans point of view.

The Hop Ga I do has way more technique than wing chun...but the pinpoint closed stance flavor is something special in the martial art world..I feel it is assassin level martial art, not for the masses.

The masses are the reason those bullshido videos are there.

An 1856 revolutionary chinese dude cutting soldiers up with his butterfly swords is no bullshido...wing chun being world reknown because of bruce lee sucks. I can say this as a fan of gung fu because the style I do Hop Ga is not known any where...all the masters were criminal suppossedly...Wing Chun has millions of dollars behind it and thousands of people keeping it alive...as a combat art though, for how popular it is, indeed it does suck!.
    Last edited by diego; 03-03-2008 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    What exactly is the dragon back?
    is this torque/ hip rotation like in boxing?

Here is another link to the weaknesses of wing chun!
    http://wingchunfightclub.org/joomla/...35&topic=107.0
    dragon back, sink chest hunch shoulders outsretched claws...famous in dragon form, wrestlers do it as an on gaurd posture.

Got the name from Park Bok Nam's Bagua book.

Comments on Diego's post in brackets

The Hop Ga I do has way more technique than wing chun...

((You have to know enough about two things to make such comparisons))

but the pinpoint closed stance flavor is something special in the martial art world..I feel it is assassin level martial art, not for the masses.

((Feel does it equal know?))

The masses are the reason those bullshido videos are there

((my deliberate ignorance of bullshido.Time is precious))

((Lots of money behind wing chun?? Not really IMO- except for one or two businessmen))

joy chaudhuri

Actually the most interesting pespective of all on that thread about wing chun (for me) was the idea that some people over there have to the effect that wing chun is an elite fighting system that requires much experience (presumably in other systems) to be fully appreciated.
    I think it's a mistaken idea.
    Essentially "elite" implies that it's a bit too hard for them to pull off!
    People learn about WC and they see that nothing physically is restricting them from doing it yet they don't manage to make it work.

There's nothing particularly elite about WC at all but people have the impression that it's like a KF movie. They are going to be sadly disappointed until they realise that:
    1. WC is a skill that takes correct practice and training over time to get any good.
    2. You're going to look like crap when you're still learning what you're doing.
    3. It's still real fighting not some jedi BS.

WC *can* complement another art.
    Yeah it's got it's strengths and weaknesses. Every art has. But actually as a first art for a complete beginner it's great. It's completely suited to the beginner. Beginners don't need a bucketload of techniques and stances! They don't need all these wacky footwork patterns, angles and different punches.

And I was also reminded of William Cheung when I first met him and began training under him when he was still in his early forties....he seemed to know quite a bit about how other stylists like boxers think and move.
    I think it's a case of knowing about fighting. Some people have less experience than others hence they teach based off their perspective as best they can. A WC teacher doesn't know everything under the sun. And why should people expect them to have every single answer to be a worthwhile teacher?

Should you expect them to have every solution for all "what if" situations? Some have experience vs boxers, others vs grapplers. Hence you have to study with whoever has the skills that you want to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    The Hop Ga I do has way more technique than wing chun...

((You have to know enough about two things to make such comparisons))

but the pinpoint closed stance flavor is something special in the martial art world..I feel it is assassin level martial art, not for the masses.

((Feel does it equal know?))

The masses are the reason those bullshido videos are there

((my deliberate ignorance of bullshido.Time is precious))

((Lots of money behind wing chun?? Not really IMO- except for one or two businessmen))

joy chaudhuri
    The Ving Tsun musuem wasn't a two thousand dollar venture, lol...wasn't it like a million?...since 1980 millions have been sold in WC/VT merchandise.

I've been doing the method of Hop Ga I do for ten years I'm aware of the basics..You guys do sun fist and uppercut in your forms...we got those and swing punches...we got tornado kicks...it's a better work out than the three wing chun forms. The Wing Chun frame is something special imo...I have no idea what offends you besides bullshido made a couple funny videos. I made the thread trying to prove them wrong, and I did. Wing Chun was used by revolutionaries, it's a simple method of killing with the blades and pole. The hand to hand system is something else...look how the karate guy tooled the wing chun guys stance in that video...the stance may look like it's lacking but that's because it comes from something bigger, it's specialty animal methods based on the forms from shaolin which influenced the Hung and CLF styles.
    Last edited by diego; 03-04-2008 at 01:20 AM.