Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akira

Akira

DiCaprio? I'm trying to visualize it as live action.
    DiCaprio, Warner Bros. in for live-action 'Akira'
    By Borys Kit
    Feb 21, 2008
    "Akira"
    UPDATED 11:05 a.m. PT, Feb. 21, 2008

Anime classic "Akira" is getting the live-action big screen treatment courtesy of Leonardo DiCaprio and Warner Bros.

Ruairi Robinson has been hired to direct what would ideally be a two-part epic. Gary Whitta is writing the adaptation, which DiCaprio will produce via his Appian Way shingle. Andrew Lazar is also producing via his Mad Chance shingle. Jennifer Davisson, who heads up Appian, will also be involved in some producorial capacity.

"Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.

With its mature themes and cutting-edge animation, "Akira" was a milestone movie in anime and even animation circles, and led the way for anime making inroads into Western pop culture in the 1990s.

"Akira" has long been in development at the company, with producers Jon Peters and Basil Iwanyk involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington and Pitof. The rights lapsed but Warner managed to re-scoop them again for Robinson, who came to the studio with a vision of a two-part adaptation.

The new story moves the action to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.

The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release for the first movie.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners. Otomo is executive producing. Legendary Pictures is co-financing.

Whitta, repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion, wrote "The Book of Eli," which the Hughes Brothers are directing for Warners and Silver Pictures.

"Akira" would mark the feature directorial debut for Robinson who was nominated for a best animated short Oscar in 2001 for a sci-fi comedy called "Fifty Percent Grey." He also wrote and directed a sci-fi short titled "The Silent City." Robinson is repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

the thing that shocks me about this whole thing, is that they are giving what will essentially be a 100 million dollar film to a first timne director. i smell hollywood bull**** going on.

Well, I have read and reread the Akira comic books many many times and it is still the most well executed and well illustrated series of comics Ive laid eyes on. I have had superhero book readers give me crap about this, but then again, who in the hell still reads superhero books?

That being said, I have no desire to see this made into a film. The anime was awesome only because it took some very cool stuff from the books and animated it, quite well. Story wise though, it was crap and seemed like it was just a highlight reel of the awesome books.

This film will probably be really bad. I mean, they are going to have to do so much retarded reconfiguring of the story to 1. have it take place in america with all american actors and 2. have a hip-hap-happy crappo hollywood ending.

Leonardo Dicaprio? Someone please shoot me with a big Dirty Harry gun.

In the end I'll probably see it anyway, because I am a little biatch.

dude your a hater. first dicaprio is producing the film he's not going to star in it. two its very easy to say your in new york instead of tokyo what do they have to change. i hate people like you (no offense) who right something off that they haven't even seen yet. wait to the film comes out before you run your jaw. the guy who is directing this film(oscar winner btw) has made some amazing short films. I think this film is going to be visually stunning, from the directors past work i can assume that. as for the actors we will see, i think casting is gonna make or break this film.

Doug

Just looking at this thread...your two posts have two very different opinions about the movie. One 'seems' to make a negative commentary on the director's ability and the other praises his past work.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    Well, I have read and reread the Akira comic books many many times and it is still the most well executed and well illustrated series of comics Ive laid eyes on. I have had superhero book readers give me crap about this, but then again, who in the hell still reads superhero books?

That being said, I have no desire to see this made into a film. The anime was awesome only because it took some very cool stuff from the books and animated it, quite well. Story wise though, it was crap and seemed like it was just a highlight reel of the awesome books.

This film will probably be really bad. I mean, they are going to have to do so much retarded reconfiguring of the story to 1. have it take place in america with all american actors and 2. have a hip-hap-happy crappo hollywood ending.

Leonardo Dicaprio? Someone please shoot me with a big Dirty Harry gun.

In the end I'll probably see it anyway, because I am a little biatch.
    The anime is still awesome. I too have some reservations about anime adaptations. Movies like Wicked City and Fist of the Northstar come to mind.

I was disappointed that it will take place in America instead of Japan...for Neo-Tokyo is THE backdrop for which we are familiar with. Plus, all the mystique about Japan and the people won't be showcased. I'm wonder if they will be able to pull it off. They would have to revamp the whole thing. Gosh...they need to change a bunch of stuff. I'm sure it is fair to say that it will be somewhat of an off-shoot of the original story.

Neo-Manhattan would be an interesting concept though.

At the very least, I hope they keep the music.

PS...if you want to talk about the anime, we can bring it over to the Martial Arts in Anime thread.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=49294
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    Just looking at this thread...your two posts have two very different opinions about the movie. One 'seems' to make a negative commentary on the director's ability and the other praises his past work.
    all i said was they are giving a first time director a big budget film. then i did my research and saw some of his shorts including the one he won an oscar for and saw why? the reason why i said i smell hollywood bull**** is because he is also slated as the writer and hollywwod is notorious for getting a writer on board promising him to be the director of the film and then after he writes the script they drop him, do some rewrites and take his name off of it. happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    The anime is still awesome. I too have some reservations about anime adaptations. Movies like Wicked City and Fist of the Northstar come to mind.

I was disappointed that it will take place in America instead of Japan...for Neo-Tokyo is THE backdrop for which we are familiar with. Plus, all the mystique about Japan and the people won't be showcased. I'm wonder if they will be able to pull it off. They would have to revamp the whole thing. Gosh...they need to change a bunch of stuff. I'm sure it is fair to say that it will be somewhat of an off-shoot of the original story.

Neo-Manhattan would be an interesting concept though.

At the very least, I hope they keep the music.

PS...if you want to talk about the anime, we can bring it over to the Martial Arts in Anime thread.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ad.php?t=49294
    yeah this should go over to the martial arts in anime thread.

Live action

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    yeah this should go over to the martial arts in anime thread.
    The discussion about the adaptation could stay here. But it is difficult because there are and will be comparisons to the anime. The news of the new film has changed the rules of engagement...seemingly.

That's probably why Gene started it's own thread and didn't lump it with the other one.

Anyone else have any thoughts about the upcoming film adaptation?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

I can't wait to see it, hot girls running around dressed in cosplay.. I'd buy a ticket.
    "Don't think,
    just train"

I feel if they do adapt it into an American movie, good luck to them. What made Akira so great, to me, was the level of complexity of the animation/effects, which are still incredible now, 20 years later. Sure, they'll simply CGI it now, but can it compare? I guess we'll have to see.
    But the version I have is the old VHS English-language version. The English dubbing was awful; maybe someday I'll buy the original-language DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I feel if they do adapt it into an American movie, good luck to them. What made Akira so great, to me, was the level of complexity of the animation/effects, which are still incredible now, 20 years later. Sure, they'll simply CGI it now, but can it compare? I guess we'll have to see.
    But the version I have is the old VHS English-language version. The English dubbing was awful; maybe someday I'll buy the original-language DVD.
    what alot of people don't understand is that when its done right CGI can truly enhance a film. i mean look at star wars. horrible peice of monkey trash yes. but flawless cgi. samething with sin city, i could name quite a few film that are just as good. like i said this will be a budget between 60-100 million dollar film.

Cgi

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Go get the dvd Jimbo.

The animation quality is one of the best examples of traditional cel animation. The quality was great compared to anime made during the same time and those made later on. And yes, it still holds up today.

CGI would not necessarily make it a good film. A lot of special effects won't cut it if they change the story or anything that would disagree with fans of the original. I hope it will be a faithful adaptation using the manga and the anime.

Still though...."New Manhattan." I don't know how that will turn out. I need to see some type of trailer later on to make a more accurate assessment.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

akira live action

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

aaaah man, there goes my favourite movie...
    Leo Dicaprio?!?!?! How can "AKIRA" be made in America??????

I'm sorry but there is no way this is going to live up to Otomo's film, they will try and "CG" the cr@p out of it and create another Transformer or whatever the latest comic/game/anime-based movie is...
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"