Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Akira

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinWood View Post
    aaaah man, there goes my favourite movie...
    Leo Dicaprio?!?!?! How can "AKIRA" be made in America??????

I'm sorry but there is no way this is going to live up to Otomo's film, they will try and "CG" the cr@p out of it and create another Transformer or whatever the latest comic/game/anime-based movie is...
    Yeah no kidding. As soon as I saw the title I was hopeful. The moment I saw leotardo decrapios name, I knew this movie was going to suck big time.

why do people choose to take something that is wonderful and try to ruin it?

at least have, oh i dunno, Japanese people playing Japanese people.

I fail to see how leo is Japanese.....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

it probably wont be japanese set. probably in L.A. or something.

leo is a great actor. i hated him cause of titanic, but i saw blood diamond and the departed and he is a good actor.

they dont need to voerload it with cg.
    but yeah leo is not japanese.

rumors are leonardo dicaprio is only producing.

i was looking at how can akira be white? akira wasnt the main character, akira was the kid they experimented on, and was long dead. and that they can use a japanese actor for. some people are so dumb.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 05-22-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Its apparent leo isnt japanese......duh

the point i was getting to, similar to speed racer, is the fact that hollywood is continually taking movies that should have FULL japanese casts, as well as other ethnicities and loading them up with WHITEY.

its really really annoying, and also a big slap in the face.

there are plenty of asian actors out there who could use the work and act well.

ya, speed racer looks cool but im not paying hollywood a dime for that ****e
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    it probably wont be japanese set. probably in L.A. or something.

leo is a great actor. i hated him cause of titanic, but i saw blood diamond and the departed and he is a good actor.

they dont need to voerload it with cg.
    but yeah leo is not japanese.

rumors are leonardo dicaprio is only producing.

i was looking at how can akira be white? akira wasnt the main character, akira was the kid they experimented on, and was long dead. and that they can use a japanese actor for. some people are so dumb.
    and you are right, some people are so dumb. leo playing any lead role, which is likely the case, would be portraying a JAPANEASE person....duh

we all know WHO akira was....

sure leo is a good actor, but not any better than millions of others out there. hes just popular. thats how it works.

Yea I agree, Leo is a great actor, I have no beef with the leotard.

My issue is that the idiots in Hollywood will take this film that is very much an underground JAPANESE (to the bone) film/manga and "Americanise" it, same as every other "Block-buster" cr@p they push out. Throw in a load of witty jokes, too much "awesome CG effects" and maybe even a soundtrack by some MTV pop "teen-rock" band.

What made Akira so awesome is the fact that it's art. It was all done by one man. Katsuhiro Otomo. He did the manga by himself, and directed and did all the key drawings for the film. He even directed the recording of the music. It's all his idea. There is no board of directors and "award-winning" team of directors involved. It's personal and you can feel his personal touch.

I have no doubts that this film will hurt the Akira name and that makes me sad.
    "If we dont worry then nothing shall worry us, only then shall we be of sound mind"

Not Leo

Zac.

Zac Efron 'to play lead in Akira remake'
    High School Musical star Zac Efron lined up to play Shotaro Kaneda in Hollywood version of classic Japanese anime based on manga comic, reports say

Akria and Zac Efron Zac Efron is being lined up to play Shotaro Kaneda in Hollywood's take on anime

He is the blue-eyed star of the High School Musical series and dream date for teenage girls across the globe. It is a classic cult Japanese anime and manga comic which maintains a heady reputation among fans of the genres more than 20 years after its initial release. Now, according to reports in the blogosphere, the terms Zac Efron and Akira may become forever connected after the actor was touted to star in a planned Hollywood remake.

In what would be one of the strangest casting decisions of all time, Efron is reportedly in line for the leading role of Shotaro Kaneda in Warner Bros's live-action English language version, according to both the Bloody Disgusting and Slash Film blogs. The project is being lined up as a two-part adaptation, with From Hell's Hughes brothers set to direct. Bloody Disgusting also reports that Morgan Freeman has been offered the role of The Colonel, the head of a sinister government project in the original film and comic book series.

Akira was originally a 2,182-page manga epic which was adapted by director Katsuhiro Otomo into a two-hour film. Despite its complex, densely packed storyline, it has gained huge popularity over time since its release and helped to fuel the growth of anime's popularity outside of Japan.

The Hollywood version would presumably transport the action from the original's Japanese setting to a US location. In Otomo's film, the action takes place in Neo-Tokyo, a city built on an artificial island in Tokyo bay following the destruction of the original Tokyo in an explosion 30 years previously. Akira is the name of a young boy whose powers led to the disaster. Kaneda, the role apparently snapped up by Efron, is a biker and gang leader who discovers that his childhood friend Tetsuo is developing similar destructive powers.

Efron has somewhat hedged his bets since the most recent High School Musical film, High School Musical 3: Senior Year, which appeared in 2008. He has appeared in teen-friendly fare such as 17 Again and the recent The Life and Death of Charlie St Cloud, and also more adult-oriented movies such as Me and Orson Welles.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

i really hate hollywood sometimes.

leo was never slated to star in this picture. his company bought the rights to the film to produce it. i personally think zack is a good choice, the guy has been impressing me in his film choices, and has shown that he has range. im not a fan boy, so i dont get my panties in a bunch about things, especially comic book adaptations. i like to see filmmakers interpretation of things. this story has been hanging around for almost twenty years and nobody has thought about turning it into a live action film till now. unfortunately their arent many young famous japanese stars in the US. so you have to go with whats available. my point is judge the film when it comes out. dont be a bunchy whiney little fan boys.geeze, and this is coming from someone who saw the film when it came out in japan, with my late dad who was stationed there at the time, so akira has a special place in my heart.

But will Morgan Freeman make a decent Colonel?

Bloody Disgusting say Morgan Freeman is circling the role of The Colonel.

Morgan Freeman (Seven) is circling the role of the Colonel in the Manga adaptation shooting next year. "Akira"
    Will they give him a buzz cut for it? I imagined someone a bit more imposing, can he pull off laid back menace?

I wonder if they'll get Danny Devito or Jon Lovitz to play Mr. Nezu.

you ever see morgan freeman in dreamcatcher? total badass...when you have someone of his calabre there is nothing he cant pull off..

I'm not opposed to an American live-action version. I only wish they would change the character's name to a European name, because Zac Efron, as mentioned, is clearly not Japanese, and not even Asian. It's long overdue to stop using makeup and funny accents to try to make white people seem Asian on film. They don't put white stars in blackface to play black characters anymore; the closest to that was last year or so, with Robert Downey Jr., and that was a comedy). Change the entire title name, character names, and the location to in the U.S, as was done with Infernal Affairs/The Departed, and Ringu/The Ring.

Though if Zac Efron's in it, it'll be a monster hit because of the teens/tweens/cougars, most of whom have no idea nor care about the original Akira. It'll make lots more money than if they put effort into discovering an actual Japanese or Japanese-American young guy with looks and acting chops to appeal to U.S. audiences. After all, Zac was discovered at one time too, right?? I would say Kane Kosugi, but in his 30s, he's way too old for the role. But yeah, even so, it would be a very hard sell for American audiences to accept a Japanese in a lead role in a U.S. film.

yeah i dont think the character is gonna have a japanese name, but the name kaneda while japanese could be a nick name..(i actually had a kid in my class who was african and his name was kaneda). yea the film will be a beast zac efron, morgan freeman, i wonder who else is gonna fill out the cast. if they do this right(which i actually think they will, i have a gut feeling about this) the hughs bros. will be the go to guys for all things anime. warners originally thought it was gonna be the wachowskis but after speed racer, who knows where they stand.

The Hughs Bros have always been pretty good with juvenile delinquents as subject matter.

Looks like Zac is a no-go

“Zac Efron is entertaining offers to star as gang leader Shotaro Kaneda in a film based on the manga comic Akira,” writes Perez Hilton, who adds, ”Oh geez. This may be the only thing worse for him than that facial hair!”

He then writes, “The project sounds inneresting, but we’re not sure if it’s the best fit for Zac.”

No need to worry.

Though the story was picked up all over, a rep for the Hughes Brothers, who are directing the live action film, tells Gossip Cop that rumors about Efron starring in Akira are “not true.”

for some reason i couldnt see them going with efron anyway...these are the hughes bros. and DS is right they are really good with that stuff. dead presidents is still one of my favorite crime caper films. hmmm.....you know what ill say it and just take the heat, i think taylor lautner would make a great kaneda(im ready for the heat, dude can do his own stunts and has that asiatic look) i would also cast sung kang(han from tokyo drift) as an alternative for kaneda. i see aaron yoo(disturbia, the wackness) as the perfect tetsuo. i would also cast hip hop impresario Drake(dont hate the guy was actually a half way decent actor before switching to music). anyway this is just my not so humble opinion.lol, i think i def want to see a mixed bag cast. not freaking some white washed movie. unlike m.night the hughes arent going to try and make a safe cookie cutter movie, they are going for edgey and will try to go as far as they could. that being said there isnt that much of a selection when it comes to good actors and actresses in young hollywood. so hopefully they choose wisely. also warners is pouring in 100+million in this movie. so casting someone like lautner will go a long way to getting what you want as a filmmaker. gotta lure the studio into false belief that you play ball lol.

Wacky cast

'Akira' Focuses On Short List Of Actors After Getting Steve Kloves Rewrite
    By MIKE FLEMING | Monday March 21, 2011 @ 11:04pm EDT

EXCLUSIVE: The script for the Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures live action adaptation of anime artist Katsuhiro Otomo’s 6-volume graphic novel Akira has been sent to a short list of actors. The picture is finally taking shape for an August start, following the delivery of a rewrite by Steve Kloves that has director Albert Hughes and the studio brass excited. The story takes place in the rebuilt New Manhattan where a leader of a biker gang saves his friend from a medical experiment. There are two major roles, and I'm told that for Tetsuo, Robert Pattinson, Andrew Garfield and James McAvoy have been given the new script. For the role of Kaneda, the script has been given to Garrett Hedlund, Michael Fassbender, Chris Pine, Justin Timberlake and Joaquin Phoenix. The two leads are expected to come from that group of actors.

Andrew Lazar is producing with Appian Way’s Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson Killoran. Akira has been one of Warner Bros' high priority projects since the studio with Legendary Pictures acquired it for a 7-figure sum 2 years ago from manga publisher Kodansha. The intention has been to make 2 films, each covering 3 books in the series. Akira was first adapted for the screen in 1988.
    This is starting to feel a lot like Airbender.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart