Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Is CMA / Kung Fu , on the whole,a......

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    And by this definition, MMA is not complete.
    If you mean sport MMA, nope, never has been,
    If you mean Mixing MA, its as complete as you make it.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If you mean sport MMA, nope, never has been,
    If you mean Mixing MA, its as complete as you make it.
    LOL! And by mixing MA you pizz off both the Purists and the MMA nut riders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

LOL! And by mixing MA you pizz off both the Purists and the MMA nut riders.
    How does mixing martial arts pizz off mixed martial artists?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    How does mixing martial arts pizz off mixed martial artists?
    Because they are "the first to do it" . And those CMA that also train ground work "aren't really CMA, they are just joining the band wagon." Can't count the number of people who don't consider Pai Lum a Chinese martial art because the grand master was from Hawaii and was a conteporary of the the founder of Parker Kenpo.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

My opinion is that to talk of a CMA system being complete, it is in terms of the old traditional ways, not necessarily modern. A complete system, in the traditional sense, has both external and internal aspects and incorporates kicks, punches, chin-na, fighting strategies, weapons and internal chi development. Most modernists do not believe in forms practice, but over time a flow and understanding does develop. Generally speaking, it was intended for self defense and health. It also takes years to learn how to understand and use it how it was intended and is very effective in most instances. No style is invincible and complete in modern terms. For those in a hurry, like most Americans, MMA is very good. Can you imagine if the MMA people added iron palm and skin training to their practice?

People are still not talking about the same context....

complete as in what....self defense, ranges of physical practice, holisitc;s...what?

I consider complete to be a method of study in terms of self defense, which btw is not about being a good fighter, but one person's complete may be different from the next.

Can't count the number of people who don't consider Pai Lum a Chinese martial art because the grand master was from Hawaii and was a conteporary of the the founder of Parker Kenpo.
    Well, to be fair, with it being such a hybrid it depends on what you get shown from Pai Lum. You might have one demo look more like something non CMA, but then look at something like Daniel Pai's sword basics video and see a series of basic sword exercises you'll find in any wushu school across China Unlike other kenpo schools, it seems to be much closer to the CMA side of the spectrum than a typical school that's labeled kenpo.

Anyway, I think most would agree some CMA people worry too much about purity. It's all about honesty. If you're completely lacking in a skill set, be honest with yourself and learn that skill from the best teacher you can find regardless of what land mass the source comes from. And when you do learn it, don't make up some B.S. quasi-mystical story about where it came from, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    Well, to be fair, with it being such a hybrid it depends on what you get shown from Pai Lum. You might have one demo look more like something non CMA, but then look at something like Daniel Pai's sword basics video and see a series of basic sword exercises you'll find in any wushu school across China Unlike other kenpo schools, it seems to be much closer to the CMA side of the spectrum than a typical school that's labeled kenpo.
    I never said Pai Lum was old or strictly traditional. But it claims to be Chinses and the grand master was Chinese and was taught by his grandfather, who was a Chinese imigrant. Wouldn't that make it Chinese?

its along the lines of "If you add grappling to your muy tai, is it still muy tai or can you only ever call it MMA."

its along the lines of "If you add grappling to your muy tai, is it still muy tai or can you only ever call it MMA."
    MT always looks like MT regardless of what you add to it.
    There is nothing wrong in filling in the holes that EVERY systems has, in terms of martial skill it would be silly NOT to.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

you thinking too much. It would be a issue if you opened many schools, sold dvd's ect.. but for most people it doesn't matter what you call it. work on the idea not the name you give it.