Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is CMA / Kung Fu , on the whole,a......

Is CMA / Kung Fu , on the whole,a......

complete martial arts system?? If not, what does it need ?? If so, what makes it so??

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    complete martial arts system?? If not, what does it need ?? If so, what makes it so??
    Never heard of a system called CMA / Kung Fu, so I can't comment on it. Is it Chinese, Okinawan, Japanese Indian or something else?

No

Does it incorporate modern methods of self defense such as firearms training, knife defense and offense, oc spray, ground fighting, de-escalation methods, pre-conflict and post-conflict training, criminal psychology, realistic awareness and adrenal response scenario drills using modern landscapes and non- outdated articulation.

Kung fu may not have this but maybe the kung fu teacher does. It's not about systems but people.

Those that really think a non-living module is complete is thinking with the ego, its all about the people, not the style.

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    well most Kung fu isn't. BUT, grand master of ultimate unpleasantness Emin Bonzepte has added turkish oil wrestling to his Ving Tzun system. This combined with stick fighting has made it the most deadly art on earth. So deadly that the feared Gracie family has been dodging him, unwilling to show the world how GJJ is really not practical. I'm sure I will be flamed for saying this, but you can't hide the trueth, VT will soon dominate the UFC, IFL, and all combat events.

anyway If you can win a fight, then its a "complete" system. If you can't then it isn't.

IMO: There is no such thing as being "complete". You can only hope to get closer and closer until you die. How far you make it is up to you, and how much you are willing to open your mind to.

There are many styles of martial arts that have many aspects. But no martial art has ALL aspects.

It is impossible.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

No martial art is complete- those that claim to be don't know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    No

Does it incorporate modern methods of self defense such as firearms training, knife defense and offense, oc spray, ground fighting, de-escalation methods, pre-conflict and post-conflict training, criminal psychology, realistic awareness and adrenal response scenario drills using modern landscapes and non- outdated articulation.

Kung fu may not have this but maybe the kung fu teacher does. It's not about systems but people.

Those that really think a non-living module is complete is thinking with the ego, its all about the people, not the style.
    Either you made that list up or you got it from someone else who made it up.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

There are no complete MA systems.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

It could be- minus the terrorist, car jacking - gun stuff.

But it could be if the instructor realistically follows the principles of combat- shuai, na, ti, da (throwing, locking, kicking, and punching). Some are better- but it really depends on the instructor- the facilities- and your personal goals.

yes, well all that aside there are more robust systems as far as content goes and there are thinner systems of martial arts that have not much in the way of curricula in the given art they are propagating.

kungfu, as a whole is a not a system it is an umbrella term for all chinese martial arts and associated practices. At least, in context to this question.

In that vain, cma or chinese martial arts covers a pretty wide variety of different styles and systems, many of which are considered complete.

having said that:

boxing doesn't have kicks or throws and doesn't train them, so in the broadest sense, one could say that box is an incomplete martial arts system. But in context to boxing and it's respective venue, one could say that it is a complete style.

styles will emphasize different aspects or attributes pf the human form and design their fighting style around the principles derived from that.

anyway, hope that helps to sort it without going on and on. Ultimately, it doesn't hurt to read the FAQ here. :-)
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It could be- minus the terrorist, car jacking - gun stuff.

But it could be if the instructor realistically follows the principles of combat- shuai, na, ti, da (throwing, locking, kicking, and punching). Some are better- but it really depends on the instructor- the facilities- and your personal goals.
    Oh, you mean complete EMPTY Handed system.
    Not really, you may find systems that have elements of all the above, but the proficency is usually in one or 2, sometimes 3, but rarely all of them.
    I will be doing MA for 30 years come this October and in all that time I have seen some systems profess to be complete, but the vast majority of times that are basically a striking system that has added grappling or vice-versa.

I don't know of any system that can claim to be complete from the get go, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Oh, you mean complete EMPTY Handed system.
    Not really, you may find systems that have elements of all the above, but the proficency is usually in one or 2, sometimes 3, but rarely all of them.
    I will be doing MA for 30 years come this October and in all that time I have seen some systems profess to be complete, but the vast majority of times that are basically a striking system that has added grappling or vice-versa.

I don't know of any system that can claim to be complete from the get go, know what I mean?
    Yeah- in the sense that there's no perfect system or any way to achieve that mythical invulnerability that people think is out there.

But it depends on the individual and what their goals are- like tai chi may be all that a person wants and needs- or wrestling- or whatever.

I like to think that if a person were to take a balanced approach in the beginning with martial arts- they'd be able to find something that they'd like to specialize in and make it their thing. But that means that there has to be a few general practitioners out there to teach the basics.

hahahahah @ balanced beginning in the martial arts. considering that the majority of martial artists are a minority of extreme smallness in the overall population and the diligent ones among that sea of dross are even fewer is more indicative of how unbalanced the view at the beginning is. That and the fact that when people actually discover how hard training martial arts is for real, 9 of 10 of them are out of there in the first 3 months and back to their beer and cheetos love fest while they wank on ufc and go on about their yellow belt in shotokan krotty.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    hahahahah @ balanced beginning in the martial arts. considering that the majority of martial artists are a minority of extreme smallness in the overall population and the diligent ones among that sea of dross are even fewer is more indicative of how unbalanced the view at the beginning is. That and the fact that when people actually discover how hard training martial arts is for real, 9 of 10 of them are out of there in the first 3 months and back to their beer and cheetos love fest while they wank on ufc and go on about their yellow belt in shotokan krotty.
    ****, you know that guy too ??
    LOL !

Sometimes it is a question of luck and finding an open teacher, my first kung fu teacher was adamant that Hung Ga was all that one needed to know.
    Then I went to Karate and my sensei told me, when I asked him, that judo would balance out my Striking and that I shoudl try boxing too to get a true understanding of full contact.
    From there my subsequent MA teachers have all been very open in motivating me, and others, to cross train in other system to become well rounded.
    Some because they believed that the best way to fight an opponent was to KNOW the opponent, other because they believed that all MA have somethign to offer.

Either you made that list up or you got it from someone else who made it up.
    Combat instructors, RBSD instructors and traditional MA teachers who do not have their heads up their own asses have been incorporating elements of it since pre-WW1.

Not my issue you don't understand the list or how it works into training.

my first kung fu teacher was adamant that Hung Ga was all that one needed to know.
    That is still the norm sadly.