Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Is CMA / Kung Fu , on the whole,a......

those vids are probably wushu-ized

but you should get my point.

http://www.amazon.com/Chin-Tradition...4299704&sr=8-5

Not modern at all, well....not THAT modern anyways.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

[QUOTE=MightyB;845303]
    Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post

This is modernist revisionist theory- quite simply- t'aint true. The chinese concept of groundfighting is not and never has been what we consider "modern groundfighting". All forms of DiTang no- matter which style- are defensive techniques that are mostly evasion and kicking in nature- and are designed for when you fall, and the other guy is standing. There is no grappling as we associate grappling today found in traditional kung fu. What these people are doing is adding western style grappling to their style. And Kudos for them for doing so- as long as they had qualified instruction in grappling before they tried to ad it to their style.
    Eventhough what you say is also true, it is my understanding that ground fighting in kung fu incorporates chin-na and striking techniques,again within the principles of the individual arts.

At least this is true for (the mainland chinese) Wing Chun that I practice. Having said that, I have not reached the ground fighting level in the cyllabus, but that is how it is in this type of Wing Chun and it has nothing to do with western wrestling. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.

SanJuro, you're a bit of a scholar.

First published in 1936, this work represents primary source material of ancient combat techniques designed in a time of occupation and war, when the threat of lethal hand-to-hand combat was an ever-present reality for soldiers, those involved in law enforcement, and very often for the ordinary citizen.

Who was occupying and at war with China in 1936. What style of hand to hand would they use? How would that modernize the traditional art?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Chin-Tradition...4299704&sr=8-5

Not modern at all, well....not THAT modern anyways.
    Oh no, does this mean that the Gracies and Ken Shamrock did not invent grappling, oh no..aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Many people forget or don't know that the art of wrestling was around in China, long before kung fu, and still continues to be around.

This means that the being attacked/challenged by a wrestler was a real possibility for any kung fu master throughout the development and evolution of the various kung fu styles, and of course as we know now, kung fu styles provide provisions and contingencies for such scenarios. THAT IS, if they are taught/practiced the way they were meant to.

see the above MightyB post and ponder the effects that an occupying army of Ju-Jitsu trained soldiers would have on a "traditional" art.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    SanJuro, you're a bit of a scholar.

First published in 1936, this work represents primary source material of ancient combat techniques designed in a time of occupation and war, when the threat of lethal hand-to-hand combat was an ever-present reality for soldiers, those involved in law enforcement, and very often for the ordinary citizen.

Who was occupying and at war with China in 1936. What style of hand to hand would they use? How would that modernize the traditional art?
    No doubt that judo influenced CMA at that time, just like no doubt that CMA influenced JMA before that.
    No one lives in a bubble, as much as some MA would like to think so.

see the above MightyB post and ponder the effects that an occupying army of Ju-Jitsu trained soldiers would have on a "traditional" art.
    Why, they wouldn't last 10 seconds against kung fu fighters.LOL.

Have a look at this link. This is Tiger style kung fu with groundfighting. www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPP9_TNBhF4

Why, they wouldn't last 10 seconds against kung fu fighters.LOL.

Have a look at this link. This is Tiger style kung fu with groundfighting. www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPP9_TNBhF4
    The MMAers already tore that video to shreds, so it's not worth repeating here.

Personally I kind'a liked it.

At least this is true for (the mainland chinese) Wing Chun that I practice. Having said that, I have not reached the ground fighting level in the cyllabus, but that is how it is in this type of Wing Chun and it has nothing to do with western wrestling. There is always more than one way to skin a cat.
    Since you haven't reached that part of the cyllabus yet, what happens when you get taken down in a fight ??

Since you haven't reached that part of the cyllabus yet, what happens when you get taken down in a fight ??
    In all seriousness- the traditional perspective is "what in the heck did you do so wrong that allowed that guy to take you down in a fight?" "You suck".

Well you can't learn everything at one go. To answer your question, I will try not to get taken down, just as I would if there were multiple attackers.

The MMAers already tore that video to shreds, so it's not worth repeating here.
    And how did they do that, considering that most of them do not really understand what kung fu is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB
    Personally I kind'a liked it.
    At least you've got good taste.

Well you can't learn everything at one go. To answer your question, I will try not to get taken down, just as I would if there were multiple attackers.
    Which brings us full circle to why I prefer to cross train.
    But again, that is just me.

CMA is not A MA, no more than FMA or JMA are MA, they are generic terms for the MA of a given culture.

If you say you study CMA, I would ask you which one(s), and if I said I study JMA you woudl ask me which ones.

Now, if you tell me that you study CLF, Shuai Chiao , WC and *insert CMA devoted to weapons here*, then I would say they you are a well rounded CMA.
    And by this definition, MMA is not complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it