Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Gary Gygax

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

R.I.P. Gary Gygax

Last edited by Oso; 03-05-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yeah, i hear he failed a fortitude save after being touched by a ghoul
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

actually, I'd a said someone might have cast 'Creeping Doom' on him.

or Baba Yaga finally caught up to him.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I hear he was actually hosting games up until january. btw your link is dead
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

He did not escape from the Temple of Elemental Evil.....R.I.P.

That dude gave me a lot of fun when I was a kid.

fixed link

In 2001 I sold all my D&D stuff as I had not really played in 5 or 6 years.

4 bank boxes full of stuff...a 1st edition printing of Fiend Folio as well as the remnants of a pink box and perhaps 90% of everything published regarding Ed Greenwood's 'Forgotten Realms' setting.

Got about $1700 for it on Ebay...i'd kill to have it all back now.

but, the only stuff I did keep were all the modules leading up to Q1-Queen of the Demonweb Pits:
    T1-The Village of Hommlet
    the much later published mega-module "Temple of Elemental Evil"
    A1-A4 - The 'Slavers' series
    G1-G3 - The Giants series
    D1-D3 - The Drow Series
    and Q1

I still would like to DM a party through all of that one day before I die.

D***, this has been bumming me out for like two days now. I haven't played in years, but I'll never forget those days.
    I need to go buy a d-sumthin' 'er 'nother to commemorate his passage into the REALM OF THE DEAD.

~Thank You Mr. Gygax, wherever you are.

*Hey, I wonder if he could be found in the Mists of Ravenloft?!
    Last edited by Golden Spider; 03-06-2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: failed my attack roll
    The clouded mind, sees nothing...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/03/04

"Rolling in his grave" XD

I never played DnD, but even so, he revolutionized RPGs and paved the way for tons and tons of creative concepts for games, period.

RIP!

Edit:
    Last edited by Golden Spider : Today at 01:24 AM. Reason: failed my attack roll
    LOL
    Mark

stopping people getting laid since 1974

i dont see why you are so sorry to see him go
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

D&D introduced me to what I consider to be the most well-crafted rpg in history....Call of Cthulu.

I had TONS of rpgs, from the most obscure to the most common, none of them would of had a chance without Gygax.

Man it has been a ZILLION years since I dm'd a game.

call of cthulu was a classic but the best rpg ever is a tie between ninja burger and kobolds ate my baby. but yeah the dude definately spawned a genre of awesome gaming. i haven't played in like 12 years but i still have all my first edition books in my closet somewhere. its a shame to see him go. i guy i know asked me to help him develop an rpg and mr. gygax was brought on as a consultant to help us get it up and running and eventually published. it never took off bc the guy i was working with is a tool and refused to simplify it and it read like a college calculus book rather than a gaming manual. but whatever. gary gygax was a nice guy from my limited experience with him. its a shame and a huge loss.

$1700! Holy cats!

I wonder if I still have my original D&D stuff stored in a box somewhere in my parent's house. I'd Ebay that for a K in a flash. My lord. Where did that stuff go? I might even have some autographed stuff. Gotta find that stuff now. Mom probably through it out.

I played D&D with Gygax himself. I was into wargaming when D&D began - that was my junior high days - and Gygax was still going to conventions to DM. My first published articles were in D&D fanzines. It was a perfect beginning for what I do now...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I still own a copy of the orginal box set, you know, the smaller booklets (8 1/2 x 5 1/2). I never played with that set, but purchased them when I had the chance when I was a kid, figured they'd be worth some money later. Now may be the time.

Haven't played a real RPG in years! I really enjoyed Traveller (original) by GDW and other GDW games (like Dark Conspiracy). Of course, D&D.

It was because of D&D that I got interested in Martial Arts. A friend of mine saw me pouring over the basic D&D rule book (old blue cover w/dragon) and we got together to play a few games of cource. My friend was also big into martial arts which rubbed off on me.

Wow......

Bob
    From One Thing, Know Ten Thousand.

you know how i know you guys dont have girlfriends?

its sad he died. i remembered playing that game in 4th grade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I don't know about you but i played D+D and still was a junior high pimp.
    Yeah Gygax had a hell of a mind/imagination. I still have a bunch of dice, modules
    and books like Monster Manual I, II, Fiend Folio, DM Guide, Players Hndbks,
    Legends & Lore, Wilderness Survival Guide, Manual of the Planes, and a few
    more i cant think of. Man, i haven't played since 85, 86. Was fun though and
    opened me up to other RPG, and ideas in general. Those books were pretty
    in depth. You could learn different mythologies and character traits, etc.