Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: 1 in very 100 adults is in jail

No argument here. My point was that for profit prisons are creating a new breed of dangerous people because of their methods. At least the public one pretend to do some rehab.

I can go on for days about the social ills all tied together in this. But yeah, no argument here.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    No argument here. My point was that for profit prisons are creating a new breed of dangerous people because of their methods. At least the public one pretend to do some rehab.

I can go on for days about the social ills all tied together in this. But yeah, no argument here.
    Look at the Northern European systems. they shame all North American systems with their rehabilitation and lowered recidivism.

In North America, or rather in Canada, Prison is more associated with another tier of the welfare system.

In the states, it represents the new slavery economy. Whereby prisons are run privately for profit and prisoners are used for free labour that the prison is paid for. therefor, the prisons that practice this are profiting from slave trade in effect.

When people realize how few uber wealthy there are, perhaps they will realize that those same uber wealthy are no friend of theirs or their countries. these people merely extract wealth from your country an exact a crap life upon you in the doing of it. Wait til they rob your savings accounts like they are doing in cyprus to make up for their greedy errors.

They already stole 20% of your Retirement plans in 2008-2010.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Look at the Northern European systems. they shame all North American systems with their rehabilitation and lowered recidivism.

In North America, or rather in Canada, Prison is more associated with another tier of the welfare system.

In the states, it represents the new slavery economy. Whereby prisons are run privately for profit and prisoners are used for free labour that the prison is paid for. therefor, the prisons that practice this are profiting from slave trade in effect.

When people realize how few uber wealthy there are, perhaps they will realize that those same uber wealthy are no friend of theirs or their countries. these people merely extract wealth from your country an exact a crap life upon you in the doing of it. Wait til they rob your savings accounts like they are doing in cyprus to make up for their greedy errors.

They already stole 20% of your Retirement plans in 2008-2010.
    Word.

In Canada, like 98% of criminal charges are addiction related. They do have programs but they aren't mandatory unless ordered as such. With such a high percentage, it's sad that only a small percentage are actually compelled to go to through the rehab programs.

Sure, some people won't be ready, but many are or will see that they are when they get through it. I've seen it close up. It's mostly junkies, cokeheads and methheads up in there.

Lately we have seen many people sentenced to treatment facilities instead of prison, but the resources are inadequate for dealing with the magnitude of the problem.

One good solution would be to make rehab programs inside the prisons be an alternative to the work programs. But then that would mess with funding and many things would have to change. But many would choose rehab over most of the work programs. If the goal is really to keep people from reoffending, this would be a great idea.

Oh and.... man can we please get rid of these neo cons this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

Oh and.... man can we please get rid of these neo cons this time around.
    This is where the people need to get off their collective lazy and apathetic asses and get out and vote.

We had a 30% turnout last time and that's of the eligible 60%!

My fellow country men are at fault for this Harper idiot in my opinion. If people here stopped waiting for someone else to take care of it, we wouldn't even be here.

Me personally, I think the construct has reached failure and it's time for wider governance and not centralized the way it is now. the rules have to change completely and the system needs to be swapped out for something that is more reflective of a true representative democracy, which it isn't now and it's all because most of us that can, do NOT go and vote.

Which says a lot worse stuff about what idiots my neighbours that don't vote are than it does about the idiot who happened to get elected.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This is where the people need to get off their collective lazy and apathetic asses and get out and vote.

We had a 30% turnout last time and that's of the eligible 60%!

My fellow country men are at fault for this Harper idiot in my opinion. If people here stopped waiting for someone else to take care of it, we wouldn't even be here.

Me personally, I think the construct has reached failure and it's time for wider governance and not centralized the way it is now. the rules have to change completely and the system needs to be swapped out for something that is more reflective of a true representative democracy, which it isn't now and it's all because most of us that can, do NOT go and vote.

Which says a lot worse stuff about what idiots my neighbours that don't vote are than it does about the idiot who happened to get elected.

Agreed. I would consider voting for the liberals in the federal election. Never provincial though. At least not here. Our provincial liberals are way too much like the federal conservative party. Could be worse though, I could live in alberta

I like the idea of JT heading the fed libs. He may be exactly what they need to get back the younger votes that were lost to the fed ndp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    The U.S. birth rate fell below replacement levels in 1972. It remains below replacement levels. The population rise in the U.S. is from legal and illegal immigration. This has been leveling out over the last several years. Southwestern states have seen population rises but a good portion of the country has had fairly flat population growth of late.

1920-2006 U.S. population increased 2.8 times, incarcerated population increased 20 times. Prison population quadrupled from 1980-2008. This does not include juvenile detention.

Your assertion that the incarceration rates are trending with the population changes are ridiculous hogwash.

142 people were on death row, then released after they were found innocent. They spent an average of nearly 10 years in jail. 18 of those cases were substantially affected by DNA evidence.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/inno...reed-death-row

Apparently Texas may have executed innocent people, it's actually a stretch to believe otherwise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18091903

That's your answer??!!
    The wildly unpopular draft. Since we're in a perpetual state of war, you wish to inevitably force many into fighting a war they don't even believe in. Freedom at it's finest right there.

"Chain gangs" are still in place and quite common in many areas. I'm not sure what your getting at with that. The state may not call them chain gangs, but there's the warden with the rifle and the inmates working along the road. True it's voluntary, mostly. I do believe, in Arizona at least, there are still involuntary chain gangs.

Your suggesting mandatory, weekly corporal punishment? Am I to presume this also applies to petty offenders demonstrating good behavior while they pay their debt to society?

Public flailing with a whip, Singapore style, is necessary because of parenting rights and coddling. Your kind of all over the place here. There's not a single intelligent statement or opinion expressed in your post and it is a prime example of people who base their views entirely on some preconceived notion or prejudice.

Compare U.S. stats with almost any other country in the world and tell me there is not something fundamentally wrong with the way we approach incarceration in this country. Sure there's plenty of bad people who need to go to jail. Sure there's huge urban social problems, but do you really believe our citizens are far and wide, the absolute worst group of scum in the world, or perhaps the problem lies within the laws and the tradition of using police to line public coffers and prisons for private gain?
    Well lady, since you know so much about this problem, what do you suggest? Coddle them some more? Or until they come to your house? You can't win a war without some collateral damage, plain and simple. So you beat hell out of a few innocents or maybe even kill one now and then. It is thinking like yours that helps fill up the high dollar rooms at the local graybar hotels.
    The draft never was popular. These punks that go off to the police boot camps are not really thrilled about it either, but if it works with some of them, it would work with more of them if it were manditory. Or we could always do it your way. Just keep on locking them up and giving them all the perks of a country club to go with it. That might eventually rehabilitate someone, recon?
    Louisiana banned the death penalty. Too many innocent people might get killed. The penalty for robbery with a gun was life in the pen, so was cold blooded murder. Only thing is, life means life there, and you don't walk out in 10 or 15 years, and you can only do one life term. Murder during a robbery would get you no more then the robbery alone, so it was almost a garantee that you were going to get killed. No witnesses you know.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    You can't win a war without some collateral damage, plain and simple. So you beat hell out of a few innocents or maybe even kill one now and then. It is thinking like yours that helps fill up the high dollar rooms at the local graybar hotels.
    Thinking like mine? You mean resorting to facts and statistics instead of regurgitating redneck cliches?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Well lady, since you know so much about this problem, what do you suggest? Coddle them some more? Or until they come to your house? You can't win a war without some collateral damage, plain and simple. So you beat hell out of a few innocents or maybe even kill one now and then. It is thinking like yours that helps fill up the high dollar rooms at the local graybar hotels.
    The draft never was popular. These punks that go off to the police boot camps are not really thrilled about it either, but if it works with some of them, it would work with more of them if it were manditory. Or we could always do it your way. Just keep on locking them up and giving them all the perks of a country club to go with it. That might eventually rehabilitate someone, recon?
    Louisiana banned the death penalty. Too many innocent people might get killed. The penalty for robbery with a gun was life in the pen, so was cold blooded murder. Only thing is, life means life there, and you don't walk out in 10 or 15 years, and you can only do one life term. Murder during a robbery would get you no more then the robbery alone, so it was almost a garantee that you were going to get killed. No witnesses you know.
    Yeah except for the resources for homicide are greater than for robbery. If you commit a murder during the commission of a robbery, you actually stand a greater chance of getting caught. And most places do not put people away for life fore robbery. That's ridiculous.

Maybe we can hang you in the town square as a deterrent to anyone who is even considering stepping out of line. May as well hang your family beside you. It's just a few innocents, collateral damage, right? Small price to pay for the greater good. In fact, you guys should just volunteer.

One thing the American prison system has proven is that the current model does NOT work. People go in for minor offences and come out cold blooded killers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Thinking like mine? You mean resorting to facts and statistics instead of regurgitating redneck cliches?
    Facts are overrated.

Americans put more energy into believing propaganda than they do actually seeking the truth. It's easier to just be a fat alcoholic loudmouth retard eating chips on the couch and regurgitating other peoples opinions online than it is to actually put in some real work.

We live in a time where complete morons spend all day watching you tube videos thinking they are getting a real edumacation. Fucking troglodyte highschool droppouts everywhere!

BTW... what's a graybar?

I will tell you the solution.... Put more into education, lower tuitions and make learning more accessible to ALL. Within one generation you will see MASSIVE positive change. I guarantee it.

When people are educated, generally, they make better decisions. It really is that simple.

This heavy hand garbage has never worked. Sad that we keep repeating the same mistakes. It's like 2/3 of the population are emotional children.

When people realize how few uber wealthy there are, perhaps they will realize that those same uber wealthy are no friend of theirs or their countries. these people merely extract wealth from your country an exact a crap life upon you in the doing of it.
    But.....they create JOBS!

Trickle down economics totally works. Yall should give me all your stuff. I'll make crumbs for everyone.

Gimme all yo monay!

Crikey! Ohio leads the way!
    In recreating debtors prisons.

http://www.acluohio.org/wp-content/u...ope2013_04.pdf
    Kung Fu is good for you.

That's just lovely. So bankers get a bonus and everyone else gets prison. Nice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3064795.html

Corrections Corporation Of America Admits To Falsifying Staffing Records

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A private company that operates Idaho's largest prison acknowledged Thursday that its employees falsified nearly 4,800 hours of staffing records over seven months last year in violation of its contract with the state.

The admission by Nashville, Tenn.-based Corrections Corporation of America is the latest in a string of staffing problems alleged or being investigated at the Idaho Correctional Center south of Boise.

Earlier this year, the Idaho Department of Correction asked state police to investigate staffing discrepancies at the lockup.

Corrections Corporation of America confirmed an internal review concluded some employees at the prison falsified the number of hours worked last year, starting in May and running through November.

The records show hours when prison staff and guards were supposedly staffing security posts, but those positions were actually vacant. Workers involved will be reprimanded, and the company told the Department of Correction it will reimburse the state.

Department spokesman Jeff Ray said the agency intends to do a separate review of the Corrections Corporation of America's findings. He said it's too soon to determine how the state will proceed or act on the contract violation.

The company's annual $29 million contract expires in June 2014, but could be renewed another two years.

"I think the focus right now has been figuring out how many hours were lost and who was involved," Ray said. "Later we'll certainly explore how to go forward from there."

Ray and company spokesman Steve Owen said the unstaffed hours account for a fraction of total staffing time during the seven-month stretch. The prison didn't experience any significant increase in inmate violence during the period, they said.

Even so, Owen said the company is taking the staffing vacancies and the falsified reports seriously.

"We will take appropriate disciplinary action with the involved personnel, and we will work to enhance the staffing, training and record keeping processes at the facility," he said.

The company, which operates prisons across the nation, has contracted with the state to run the Idaho Correctional Center for more than a decade.

The contract details how the company must run the prison. It includes minimum staffing requirements that also have been spelled out in a legal settlement the company reached with the American Civil Liberties Union-Idaho after inmates sued in federal court.

In a separate lawsuit filed against Correction Corporation in November, inmates alleged the company falsified staff logs to hide chronic understaffing.

An amended complaint filed in January described a staffing scheme that makes it appear as if more correctional officers are on duty than the number who actually worked a certain shift. The inmates contend fewer guards were on duty than were listed in the staff logs when some of them were attacked and stabbed by gang members in a brutal assault caught on the prison's security cameras.

Idaho corrections officials asked state police to begin investigating the company's records earlier this year after finding some staffing discrepancies through an audit. Around that time, The Associated Press filed public records requests for shift logs at the prison that showed guards listed as working 24, 36 and 48 hours consecutively without time off.

Ray said state police will decide whether to probe the company's staffing and payroll records prior to May 2012.