Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 in very 100 adults is in jail

Hybrid View

1 in very 100 adults is in jail

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/28/....ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- For the first time in history, more than one in every 100 American adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report.

San Quentin State Prison in California holds more than 5,200 inmates.

The report, released Thursday by the Pew Center on the States, said the 50 states spent more than $49 billion on corrections last year, up from less than $11 billion 20 years earlier. The rate of increase for prison costs was six times greater than for higher education spending, the report said.

Using updated state-by-state data, the report said 2,319,258 adults were held in U.S. prisons or jails at the start of 2008 -- one out of every 99.1 adults, and more than any other country in the world.

The steadily growing inmate population "is saddling cash-strapped states with soaring costs they can ill afford and failing to have a clear impact either on recidivism or overall crime," the report said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Wow, the most in any country of the world?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I find that very hard to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    I find that very hard to buy
    ofcourse you do.

More than any other country in the world? Perhaps based upon the REPORTED statistics? And it's not like there are any countries that abuse people, ignore civil rights, put people in prison for political convictions etc that wouldn't report their stats, right? I mean, I'm sure Russia, China, Cuba, all give accurate stats to poll takers of course!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Hmmm....if the population of the US is 270 Million, that would mean that more than 2.7 million people are in jail...wow...

Maybe not the most in the world, but the most of the G-7 countries? probably.
    I don't think that those other countries would count political prisoners, nor do I think the US counts "POW" or "detainees".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    NEW YORK (AP) -- For the first time in history, more than one in every 100 American adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report.
    goes to show the high level of freedom everyone is so proud of enjoying here.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    goes to show the high level of freedom everyone is so proud of enjoying here.
    This is why I condone the death penalty.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    If I were King (of the fore-eh-eh-eh-eh-eh-essst...)
    I would use those guilty of heinous violent crimes, such as multiple homicide, brutal rape, pedophilia, etc for research. Let them pay their debt to society.Just look at all the medical research we could do on human test subjects. We could find cures for cancer, aids, etc. And if the test fails? Ok, next.
    Why spend all our tax dollars on handing out guest passes (multiple, consecutive lifetime sentances) where they use our space, eat our food, get medical and dental,
    heck-I still don't understand why they use alcohol wipes and clean needles for lethal injections.

And then use the leftovers for soylent green. Feed the homeless.
    And save the lab animals.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I would use those guilty of heinous violent crimes, such as multiple homicide, brutal rape, pedophilia, etc for research. Let them pay their debt to society.Just look at all the medical research we could do on human test subjects. We could find cures for cancer, aids, etc. And if the test fails? Ok, next.
    Why spend all our tax dollars on handing out guest passes (multiple, consecutive lifetime sentances) where they use our space, eat our food, get medical and dental,
    heck-I still don't understand why they use alcohol wipes and clean needles for lethal injections.

I can get down with this. Anyone ever see the movie Fido? We could get that going with prisoners instead of zombies.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Soylent green is made from pee-pahl!

ALL excellent ideas!
    (ok, particularly since they're almost identical to mine!)

Building prisons is a very large industry in the US now. The problem is that as a nation of freedom we are able to make choices and some of us don't make good choices. We have laws to help us all have an equal shot at happiness. Young people seem to think that they should be happy even if it amounts to taking someone elses happiness from them.
    All this BS started when the bleeding hearts stopped the draft. That draft was what kept us safe. The first thing anyone wants to do when a young person steps out of line is to send him off to some stupif boot camp. Before they did away with the draft, everyone went to a boot camp and spent 18 months learning something useful. The courts today have taken your right to parent away. You can not control your children when all they have to do is drop a dime on your ass and send you to jail. Then the courts want to blame the parents when the courts have to start dealing with them. Bring back the draft and it will end this madness. Young people drop out of school or graduate and have nothing waiting for them. No work ethic, no life principals to live by, nothing. Then they start breaking the laws.
    In Dallas if you are black and between 16 and 35 you have a very good chance of being murdered. And you are most likely to be murdered by another black man between 16 and 35. Whites and Asians have statistics too. It will not get better. It will only get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/28/....ap/index.html

San Quentin State Prison in California holds more than 5,200 inmates.

The report, released Thursday by the Pew Center on the States, said the 50 states spent more than $49 billion on corrections last year, up from less than $11 billion 20 years earlier. The rate of increase for prison costs was six times greater than for higher education spending, the report said.

Using updated state-by-state data, the report said 2,319,258 adults were held in U.S. prisons or jails at the start of 2008 -- one out of every 99.1 adults, and more than any other country in the world.

The steadily growing inmate population "is saddling cash-strapped states with soaring costs they can ill afford and failing to have a clear impact either on recidivism or overall crime," the report said.
    Crime is no more or less than it always has been, it is just that this fool thing about wearing your draws down under your a$$. How you expect to outrun the police when they fall down around your ankles?
    Jackie Lee

So you're saying more people get caught now? What is the national average in the US for unsolved vs solved cases? Not factoring in an estimated amount of unreported crime, of course. Curious.