Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 in very 100 adults is in jail

1 in very 100 adults is in jail

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/28/....ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- For the first time in history, more than one in every 100 American adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report.

San Quentin State Prison in California holds more than 5,200 inmates.

The report, released Thursday by the Pew Center on the States, said the 50 states spent more than $49 billion on corrections last year, up from less than $11 billion 20 years earlier. The rate of increase for prison costs was six times greater than for higher education spending, the report said.

Using updated state-by-state data, the report said 2,319,258 adults were held in U.S. prisons or jails at the start of 2008 -- one out of every 99.1 adults, and more than any other country in the world.

The steadily growing inmate population "is saddling cash-strapped states with soaring costs they can ill afford and failing to have a clear impact either on recidivism or overall crime," the report said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Wow, the most in any country of the world?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I find that very hard to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    I find that very hard to buy
    ofcourse you do.

More than any other country in the world? Perhaps based upon the REPORTED statistics? And it's not like there are any countries that abuse people, ignore civil rights, put people in prison for political convictions etc that wouldn't report their stats, right? I mean, I'm sure Russia, China, Cuba, all give accurate stats to poll takers of course!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Hmmm....if the population of the US is 270 Million, that would mean that more than 2.7 million people are in jail...wow...

Maybe not the most in the world, but the most of the G-7 countries? probably.
    I don't think that those other countries would count political prisoners, nor do I think the US counts "POW" or "detainees".

That is just a sign that there are too many laws in the USA.

Yeah you are all right and why is it too many in prisons. Do like Britain did find an Island and populate it with prisoners or give them some greens and send them to Iraq. As long as this country continues to violate our civil rights there will be alot in Jail as there are now KC
    A Fool is Born every Day !

It's three things:

1.) A big business. I really doubted this impact on things until I saw people who really were completely innocent of any crime get railroaded and ground into the system. Just to make some a$$holes career as a prosecutor and to make money for the companies that warehouse people.

2.) As a culture, we are failing. When I was a kid, you behaved because a neighbor might tell your parents. Today, you tell somebodies parents - YOU are the problem. We're rapidly adopting thug culture as the norm, the family unit has been assassinated, and our educated class has performed self-genocide through birth control and infanticide.

3.) Based on the scumbags I see on the street, I'm not surprised 1 in 100 are incarcerated. As a culture, as a people, we need to stop accepting bad behavior as culturally acceptable.

It's a bigger issue, that no one wants to hear, because it interferes with their self-destructive bliss.

All said, it is still better here than in a true police state.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    It's three things:

1.) A big business. I really doubted this impact on things until I saw people who really were completely innocent of any crime get railroaded and ground into the system. Just to make some a$$holes career as a prosecutor and to make money for the companies that warehouse people.

2.) As a culture, we are failing. When I was a kid, you behaved because a neighbor might tell your parents. Today, you tell somebodies parents - YOU are the problem. We're rapidly adopting thug culture as the norm, the family unit has been assassinated, and our educated class has performed self-genocide through birth control and infanticide.

3.) Based on the scumbags I see on the street, I'm not surprised 1 in 100 are incarcerated. As a culture, as a people, we need to stop accepting bad behavior as culturally acceptable.

It's a bigger issue, that no one wants to hear, because it interferes with their self-destructive bliss.

Valid points.

Talking

Fools! Prisons are corporate businesses...just like parking garages, or fast food chains!

Lol hopefully some of you got the reference heres the link for the proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki-Oh
    Amituofo~

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hmmm....if the population of the US is 270 Million, that would mean that more than 2.7 million people are in jail...wow...

Maybe not the most in the world, but the most of the G-7 countries? probably.
    I don't think that those other countries would count political prisoners, nor do I think the US counts "POW" or "detainees".

it's one out of every 100 adults, the math needs some adjusting

Quote Originally Posted by Mas Judt View Post
    It's three things:

Quite true. The moral fabric of our society is gone. Remember sitcoms from 20 years ago? Watch TV now, at any time of day or night and everything is a negative message. Don't get me wrong, people should have the right to express themselves, but there should be a proper time and place for everything. What can be done about these problems? We have nurtured a culture of stupidity, and I'm sure we haven't seen the worst of it! I think the 1 out of 100 is not so bad, seeing as many should-be inmates are released due to overcrowding.

Well, enough with my "back in my day" lecture....
    Bless you

it's one out of every 100 adults, the math needs some adjusting
    Bah, details !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Bah, details !
    God bless you son, you're one fine North American!
    Bless you

Prisons in many cases are merely an extension of the welfare system.

Conservative thinkers should be on board with this idea because then they don't have to worry about some welfare bum spending their .037 cent contribution on a colt45.

yes, america will jail you for pretty much anything and near 1% of the overall population is of convict status.

nice, what a country. lol.

still, beats the heck out of a lot of other countries, I guess, as long as you go some money and a job, otherwise, your'e screwed.
    Kung Fu is good for you.