Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: 1 in very 100 adults is in jail

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    couldn't find your regular bootlick today so you decide to put your nose up Ross's ass?

typical. lol
    What's typical is you coming up with ridiculous statements and assertions and then having no proof to back them up.
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

I am going to TTT every thread where David Jamieson makes claims that turn out to be false, and he then squirms and claims he didn't make the claim in the first place

Unfortunately, there are so many of them that it will flood the forum
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I am going to TTT every thread where David Jamieson makes claims that turn out to be false, and he then squirms and claims he didn't make the claim in the first place

Unfortunately, there are so many of them that it will flood the forum
    Ross, it doesn't surprise me that you drag your ass into this forum again and are still bothered by stuff from 4 or 5 years ago. It tells me a lot about you.

It's hilarious and what's worse dave? I still stand by everything I said all through this post. So. Check your dance card, I've moved on. You're still in denial about that sad state of the justice system and nothing has changed.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Also, this is for you Dave.

Marvel at the alacrity as I await your humble apologies....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtors...tors.27_Prison

an important quote: A year long study released in 2010 of fifteen states with the highest prison populations by the Brennan Center for Justice, found that all fifteen states sampled have jurisdictions that arrest people for failing to pay debt or appear at debt related hearings. Aside from citizens being jailed without legal counsel the study identified four causes that lead to debtors' prison type arrests for debts (see the rest of the article)
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 02-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/02/28/....ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- For the first time in history, more than one in every 100 American adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report.

San Quentin State Prison in California holds more than 5,200 inmates.

The report, released Thursday by the Pew Center on the States, said the 50 states spent more than $49 billion on corrections last year, up from less than $11 billion 20 years earlier. The rate of increase for prison costs was six times greater than for higher education spending, the report said.

Using updated state-by-state data, the report said 2,319,258 adults were held in U.S. prisons or jails at the start of 2008 -- one out of every 99.1 adults, and more than any other country in the world.

The steadily growing inmate population "is saddling cash-strapped states with soaring costs they can ill afford and failing to have a clear impact either on recidivism or overall crime," the report said.
    Crime is no more or less than it always has been, it is just that this fool thing about wearing your draws down under your a$$. How you expect to outrun the police when they fall down around your ankles?
    Jackie Lee

So you're saying more people get caught now? What is the national average in the US for unsolved vs solved cases? Not factoring in an estimated amount of unreported crime, of course. Curious.

It's not about more people getting caught. It's about too many laws and a nation that uses law enforcement for revenue and incarceration as economic stimulus.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

It's not about more people getting caught. It's about too many laws and a nation that uses law enforcement for revenue and incarceration as economic stimulus.
    i think sending middle class average people in debt to jail is too cruel. they gonna get raped.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The pants thing was more a joke, but then there could be some truth to it for real. Our populations are climbing like crazy by the day. It stands to reason that more people will be tossed in the pen. Most of these people are people you would not want living next door to you, some are not so bad. But making sure they are not neglected or mistreated costs tax payers a huge sum. I suspect maybe a few innocent people might be in jail too, but I seriously doubt any innocent has been put to death in Texas yet. And now, with modern forensics I doubt it will ever happen.
    Two things. First, start up the military draft again. At 18 a young person should have graduated or dropped out of school. Make them sign up and eventually draft them into active duty for 18 months. The first thing people want to do with a bad kid is to send him to some sort of boot camp. Problem is, once it is over in a few weeks they go right back to their stupid friends. That 18 months will change the way they think and will keep them off the street with their hoodlem friends, as their friends will be in boot with them.
    Second, rehabilitation does not work when all you do is sit in a cell and brood over being mistreated or something. They eat well and have a bed, so they learn to live within another cultural system. They learn all sorts of crap that makes them even worse when released. So, rather than give them time to think about these things, start up the chain gangs again. That and a weekly a$$ whipping with something like a whip or belt that is cut into strips on the end. Make it where all they can think about is getting the hell out of there and never coming back. Most of these jerks needed that growing up, but the bleeding hearts have taken away your right to parent your children. We can all see what coddling them has done to them.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Our populations are climbing like crazy by the day. It stands to reason that more people will be tossed in the pen.
    The U.S. birth rate fell below replacement levels in 1972. It remains below replacement levels. The population rise in the U.S. is from legal and illegal immigration. This has been leveling out over the last several years. Southwestern states have seen population rises but a good portion of the country has had fairly flat population growth of late.

1920-2006 U.S. population increased 2.8 times, incarcerated population increased 20 times. Prison population quadrupled from 1980-2008. This does not include juvenile detention.

Your assertion that the incarceration rates are trending with the population changes are ridiculous hogwash.

I suspect maybe a few innocent people might be in jail too, but I seriously doubt any innocent has been put to death in Texas yet. And now, with modern forensics I doubt it will ever happen.
    142 people were on death row, then released after they were found innocent. They spent an average of nearly 10 years in jail. 18 of those cases were substantially affected by DNA evidence.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/inno...reed-death-row

Apparently Texas may have executed innocent people, it's actually a stretch to believe otherwise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18091903

First, start up the military draft again.
    That's your answer??!!
    The wildly unpopular draft. Since we're in a perpetual state of war, you wish to inevitably force many into fighting a war they don't even believe in. Freedom at it's finest right there.

Second, rehabilitation does not work when all you do is sit in a cell and brood over being mistreated or something. They eat well and have a bed, so they learn to live within another cultural system. They learn all sorts of crap that makes them even worse when released. So, rather than give them time to think about these things, start up the chain gangs again.
    "Chain gangs" are still in place and quite common in many areas. I'm not sure what your getting at with that. The state may not call them chain gangs, but there's the warden with the rifle and the inmates working along the road. True it's voluntary, mostly. I do believe, in Arizona at least, there are still involuntary chain gangs.

That and a weekly a$$ whipping with something like a whip or belt that is cut into strips on the end. Make it where all they can think about is getting the hell out of there and never coming back. Most of these jerks needed that growing up, but the bleeding hearts have taken away your right to parent your children. We can all see what coddling them has done to them.
    Your suggesting mandatory, weekly corporal punishment? Am I to presume this also applies to petty offenders demonstrating good behavior while they pay their debt to society?

Public flailing with a whip, Singapore style, is necessary because of parenting rights and coddling. Your kind of all over the place here. There's not a single intelligent statement or opinion expressed in your post and it is a prime example of people who base their views entirely on some preconceived notion or prejudice.

Compare U.S. stats with almost any other country in the world and tell me there is not something fundamentally wrong with the way we approach incarceration in this country. Sure there's plenty of bad people who need to go to jail. Sure there's huge urban social problems, but do you really believe our citizens are far and wide, the absolute worst group of scum in the world, or perhaps the problem lies within the laws and the tradition of using police to line public coffers and prisons for private gain?
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 04-03-2013 at 06:03 AM.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Private jails and their political benefactors are a marriage made in heaven and revenue is great for this industry, and there is no stimulus to reverse the trend.
    Mandatory minimum sentenceing forces the trend because judges do not get the individual circumstances to consider so the jails fill up faster. The drug wars strategy has failed on all levels with the main impetus being that punishment is cherrypicked based on what kind of drug is used so a few benefit, while the majority get 3 meals a day

A few decades ago very many people went to for profit prisons. Those convicts are now starting to be released more and more everyday and the consequences are brutal. They go in one thing and come out something much much worse. You should read the Aryan article I posted up there^^^. Basically when they desegregated the prisons they forced a situation that encouraged racial gangs. In the 80's and 90's unprecedented numbers of young men when to prison. Now they are coming out connected, organized and pissed off. Not good. Some people do really bad things and get what they get. But most of the prison population become monsters in there, not before. Remember that most of the people in there are there for things like repeated property crimes due to untreated addiction. Rehabilitation is an essential process if we want to reduce the numbers. If you are a for profit prison then you actually have a financial incentive to create these monsters. Another example of intolerance and capitalism run amok. Unbridled capitalism is very dangerous. It is estimated that one in 25 business leaders are psychopaths. Certainly the model itself rewards psychopathic behaviour. What's really sad is that more and more each day this form of capitalism is punishing those who don't try to squeeze everyone for all they can.

Well done Kellen. You get two thumbs up for that one.

The for profit prison system is one thing, but its not just that simple.

The problem is in America we have a justice system that is based on the method of punishment to prevent crime. Its attempting to threaten as a deterrent. Which should raise red flags immediately to the futility of the matter. What good is a threat of incarceration when the opposite alternative is a life threatened with death via starvation, violence or any other number of things that plays into the daily lives of those caught in the lowest social statuses?

This is something that goes back to at least Nixon. The for profit prison system is just some rich snobs taking advantage out of the witch hunt mentality Americans already possessed.

The only way this will change is if Americans grow the hell up and realize that rehabilitation is the better way when at all possible. That and we have to get real about owning up to correcting the prevailing socioeconomic issues facing our country that we've been half ass addressing and sweeping under the rug that have existed since the end of the civil war. In short, we need less conservatives...