Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leg Checks!

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    Your boots go up to you knees?
    Nope, maybe mid-shin.

'Cuase, you know, if they don't then the tip about not angling low kicks up is still vaild. My sifu calls it "floating the kick" and floating a kick will cause you to fail the kicking portion of a rank test.
    When you're wearing what amounts to a multi-tipped/edged weapon, it's kinda silly to kick with anything other than that weapon.

You never miss? Or get checked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

You never miss? Or get checked?
    I'm not at all sure what that has to do with anything.
    But, I am human, and nobody's perfect.

I'm not in the habit of executing a technique with the expectation that it will miss or be checked.

It's generally a "better bet" when there is little/no chance of that happening.
    So, I "choose my shots" and the fact that I have a few decades of experience helps me to "load" the odds a bit.

My approach to MA appears to be rather different than yours.

So how old is your SiFu?

mmmm.... about 4 months older than me.

His sifu is in his sixies and says the same thing, though.

The relevance is that an accidental hit on a shin is usually just as bad as a deliberate hit. bad technique's gonna brake your leg either way.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

mmmm.... about 4 months older than me.
    Nice non-answer.
    I'm just trying to figure out if this guy you think I need a promotion from was even born when I was already a recognized instructor.

His sifu is in his sixies and says the same thing, though.
    I don't particularly care what either one of them say.

The relevance is that an accidental hit on a shin is usually just as bad as a deliberate hit. bad technique's gonna brake your leg either way.
    "break"
    It's not at all relevant when you're kicking with a boot.
    In fact, the boots are a rather effective purposeful counter-attack to an opponent's shins (or any other part of his leg/anatomy) at any time, and especially when they try to kick.

I consider it "bad technique" to even think of kicking with your shin.... of course, I also recommend that folks not try to actually fight bare-footed.

My favorite part is when the other guy stands over the broken legged dude, spreads his arms and says "WHAT?! WHAT?!"
    Mark

"break"
    It's not at all relevant when you're kicking with a boot.
    In fact, the boots are a rather effective purposeful counter-attack to an opponent's shins (or any other part of his leg/anatomy) at any time, and especially when they try to kick.

I consider it "bad technique" to even think of kicking with your shin.... of course, I also recommend that folks not try to actually fight bare-footed.
    I don't recall TCMA ( or even JMA/OMA) having a round kick untill after they got exposed to MT and TKD.
    I don't recall any round kicks in any of the traditional CMA, JMA, or Okinawan MA forms at all.
    AM I mistaken?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't recall TCMA ( or even JMA/OMA) having a round kick untill after they got exposed to MT and TKD.
    ????????
    BRAIN FADE at your age?
    Whaddaya think "mawashi geri" stands for... the guy who drives the delivery truck for the local Japanese Laundry?
    (overpriced fer sure, but their work is "meticulous" to say the least...)

I don't recall any round kicks in any of the traditional CMA, JMA, or Okinawan MA forms at all.
    CMA? "not exactly"

AM I mistaken?
    JMA/OMA?
    (at least going back to the first years of the 60s....)
    (I also remember seeing film footage of Leoning running an outdoor class at a park in the Palama Settlement kicking the BeeJeezus out of his entire class with them.... Kajukenbo "Iron Body" "stuff".... that would've been the 50s)
    uh..... yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    ????????
    BRAIN FADE at your age?
    Whaddaya think "mawashi geri" stands for... the guy who drives the delivery truck for the local Japanese Laundry?
    (overpriced fer sure, but their work is "meticulous" to say the least...)

CMA? "not exactly"

JMA/OMA?
    (at least going back to the first years of the 60s....)
    (I also remember seeing film footage of Leoning running an outdoor class at a park in the Palama Settlement kicking the BeeJeezus out of his entire class with them.... Kajukenbo "Iron Body" "stuff".... that would've been the 50s)
    uh..... yes.
    Mawashi geri was an "add on" and wasn't part of any of the "te" systems and you don't see any round kicks in any of the original karate forms.
    Don't recall seeing them in any of the CMA I have seen, do you?
    Which ones?

drink your milk.

understand angles of attack.

be strict in your training.

and that could still happen to you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    drink your milk.

understand angles of attack.

be strict in your training.

Unless you are of an advanced, yet undisclosed, age and have a really cool screan name. And wear boots.

Kicking up under-involves the hip, so it's fundamentally less powerful, also easy to check, easy to catch, if it's above mid thigh easier to spike. Your boot will also make a MUCH more significant contact if you turn your hip right over. Do you sleep in your boots? Wear them on the beach? Wear them jogging? No? Maybe you should practice better form then.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

" these boots were made for walking..."

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Mawashi geri was an "add on" and wasn't part of any of the "te" systems .....
    As "history" has it, the early 60s (let alone the 50s) were before contact with TKD, or the even more recent contact with MT.

... and you don't see any round kicks in any of the original karate forms.
    Of course not, and the reason is fairly obvious.... from the "proper perspective".

Don't recall seeing them in any of the CMA I have seen, do you?
    Which ones?
    It's that "perspective" thingie, again.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    drink your milk.
    Milk is for the unweaned... unless you're having a breakfast cereal.

It seems to me that'd be kinda hard for it to happen if you don't use that particular type/kind of kick or target.