Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Sucks....

Wing Chun Sucks....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jB3sfXnZyyA

Now I love the actual form of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun I think the power generation is sweet.

Realistically though, if you compare it to Muay Thai we haven't seen any Wing Chun champs...the style is too short, tight and subtle for the devasting onslaught of the thais Smashing Elephant elbows. IMO, for WC/VT to win in a cage match you'd have to know how to fight in that venue and then you could pull out your subtle skills. I feel if a MT fighter studied WC/VT it would be very effective against someone else who just studied MT. Two champs both retire, one studies WC/VT and the other keeps on with the thai training...when they become old men this is where the chunners skills will come out...he knows all the tricks of the thai boxer so he uses his subtle lady like Gung Fu.

That's what the legends tell us about the system, the monks refined their technique into something very effective

you gotta know how to fight before you can fight with gung fu which is subtle

thai's have big shoulders and thighs and bouncy feet...smashing blows

wing chun/ving tsun hardly moves the shoulders which does nothing for power when wrestling...muay thai choy li fut hop ga really whip their shoulders giving them the dragon back which is the main stance for clinching...WC/VT doesn't do this imo because it is advanced Gung Fu...you gotta be very skilled and very intelligent to use it against champions. It's elite Gung Fu in theory!.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    you gotta know how to fight before you can fight with gung fu which is subtle
    Do you seriously believe this?

Is your post sarcastic? I seriously can't tell.
    Last edited by Ravenshaw; 03-01-2008 at 05:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    Do you seriously believe this?

yes, wing chun is a trapping style, hop gar is an offensive style like muay thai...choy li fut beat muay thai i hear...what i'm saying is fighting is fighting, give both guys two screw drivers and one guy is gonna tighten up his footwork while the other is going to fly into him...a small frame system such as wing chun is like adding mace to the screw driver fight.
    First they were swinging wildly and then the wing chun guy comes in subtle and blind sides the guy as he gets precise with his screw driver hitting the weak spots.

What I see in the martial media is peeps promoting the Art of Wing Chun/Ving Tsun...but imo, according to legend Wing Chun is a master system...methods to enhance your fighting style.

Wheras karate plays with all ranges of combat, wing chun deals with the range of refinement. Many people know how to defend them self but have never taken a self defense class in their life, they know how to fight...these are the types that need to be selling wing chun/ving tsun.

let me put it like this, i'd rather train muay thai than wing chun...wong shun lun isn't a built dude, but he looks slick...i'm talking about physical fitness and fight skills...shadowbox thai elbows and round kicks it's a huge work out...wing chun form is very refined...who's gonna have better condition after five years.

wing chun was meant to be studied once you were conditioned...sil lim tao for a year...it's all in the legends.

choy li fut beat muay thai i hear
    The style of CLF beat the style of MT?

...what i'm saying is fighting is fighting, give both guys two screw drivers and one guy is gonna tighten up his footwork while the other is going to fly into him...a small frame system such as wing chun is like adding mace to the screw driver fight.
    I really have no idea what this means.

First they were swinging wildly and then the wing chun guy comes in subtle and blind sides the guy as he gets precise with his screw driver hitting the weak spots.
    This would be speculation.

I mean, I practiced WT for a year, but I don't understand where you're getting there conclusions that a MT fighter would be better served splitting his time between MT and WC instead of spending all of it on MT.

Also, the first form isn't very good conditioning at all.

The style of CLF beat the style of MT?

I really have no idea what this means.

This would be speculation.

I mean, I practiced WT for a year, but I don't understand where you're getting there conclusions that a MT fighter would be better served splitting his time between MT and WC instead of spending all of it on MT.

Also, the first form isn't very good conditioning at all.
    you're over reading my posts

I LOVE WING CHUN IT SUCKS JUST LIKE KUNG FU........

commies and business men kill everything good...

i'm talking about making wing chun better, now reread the thread.

I guess my point is that if you have to learn another fighting system before you can make yours work, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't need to practice Muay Thai in order to be an effective Wing Chun fighter.

And I don't think a style that can't produce fighters on its own could possibly be considered more refined than one that works right away. Either WC works or it doesn't.

you're over reading my posts

I LOVE WING CHUN IT SUCKS JUST LIKE KUNG FU........

commies and business men kill everything good...

i'm talking about making wing chun better, now reread the thread.
    How rude.

Heaven forbid I read your posts.

I didn't say WC sucks.

How rude.

Heaven forbid I read your posts.

I didn't say WC sucks.
    LOL, actually that was me being polite...I get rude, I apologize
    Last edited by diego; 03-01-2008 at 07:23 AM.

I guess my point is that if you have to learn another fighting system before you can make yours work, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't need to practice Muay Thai in order to be an effective Wing Chun fighter.

And I don't think a style that can't produce fighters on its own could possibly be considered more refined than one that works right away. Either WC works or it doesn't.
    In theory I agree, but the reality is they spend a year doing Sil Lim Tao before they spar from what I've read. I haven't seen any Wing Chun fighters...Choy Li Fut walks through the horse and works on combos for the first year, it's a scrapping style...Wing Chun is a fighting art...the whole not really moving the shoulders when punching is useless for a beginner, to apply that against a powerful opponent you'd need years of sensitivity training.
    Imo, if you want to get good at Wing Chun, get good at MMA fighting and then learn the Art of Wing Chun. I feel the stance is incomplete on it's own...according to legend it came from Hung Ga sister methods anyway, which is all big frame Gung Fu.

LOL, actually that was me being polite...I get rude, I apologize
    Is rude the new "retarded"?

Kind of like....I get retarded in here?
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppukku View Post
    Is rude the new "retarded"?

Kind of like....I get retarded in here?
    My good friend, did I ever tell you you annoy me not just a little bit?

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AMG2EAWVo4A

I was trying to be polite.

"Polite", as in the new "communications liaison of the intellectually elite to the poor, poor, poor class of the mentally handicapped."
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Wing Chun was my first martial art when I was very young. It does have benefits, but it also has one huge weakness. The strikes are simply not powerful enough. When we do Chi Sao, we train to trap the hands, get in close and elbow, punch, etc. But here's the problem. What happens if your opponent is full of rage and adrenalin and one or two close range hits doesn't drop him? That's the reason why I learned Boxing and Choy Lay Fut. Those arts have KO punches using the torque of your body that will drop a guy. You will NOT be able to generate significant power from such a close range as in Wing Chun. You can do all the inch training you want to on wall bags, but it won't really help you in a real fight. I must say though that if you combine the trapping of Wing Chun with a more powerful art, it's very effective. Wing Chun by itself, sorry to say, does indeed suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Seppukku View Post
    I was trying to be polite.

"Polite", as in the new "communications liaison of the intellectually elite to the poor, poor, poor class of the mentally handicapped."
    i'm sure it would hurt ya grandma to talk about your dumb father like that...dumb i say you ask why because...he didn't practise safe sexual relations.