Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young VS Old

Young VS Old

Does young always beat old? What do you think? Royce vs Hughs,Tank vs Kimbo. I recently had my own experience with this in my Shuai Jiao training. I went up agaist a guy who hasn't trained long. He is a lot bigger then me and much younger and he beat me 1 to nothing. I usually do well against a big beginner. But this guy was strong, aggressive had good ballance and I just wasn't exposive enough to mount a good offence. So what is your opinion?
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 03-02-2008 at 10:18 PM.

Time is a *****, no way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Does young always beat old?
    Not necessarily.

I recently had my own experience with this in my Shuai Jiao training. I went up agaist a guy who hasn't trained long. He is a lot bigger then me and much younger and he beat me 1 to nothing. I usually do well against a big beginner. But this guy was strong, aggressive had good ballance and I just wasn't exposive enough to mount a good offence. So what is your opinion?
    You're not supposed to go "toe-to-toe"/"straight up" with someone like that.... that's supposedly where your greater experience, larger repertoire, and the usual acquired elderly characteristic of "treachery" will serve you "in good stead".

True story.

Two bulls stand on a hillside, overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull says, "Hey pop! Let's run down there and f@ck one of those cows!"

The old bull says, "No, son. Let's walk down and f@ck them all."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    True story.

Two bulls stand on a hillside, overlooking a herd of cows. The young bull says, "Hey pop! Let's run down there and f@ck one of those cows!"

?????
    Nothing treacherous about that... lecherous, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    Not necessarily.

You're not supposed to go "toe-to-toe"/"straight up" with someone like that.... that's supposedly where your greater experience, larger repertoire, and the usual acquired elderly characteristic of "treachery" will serve you "in good stead".
    I did all that still lost o well. just want to see what you people think

happy b day wiz
    Bless you

The old saying that experince must fear the vitality of youth ( or however it goes) is quite correct.
    Even more so when youth isn't "intimidated" by experience.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Does young always beat old? What do you think? Royce vs Hughs,Tank vs Kimbo. I recently had my own experience with this in my Shuai Jiao training. I went up agaist a guy who hasn't trained long. He is a lot bigger then me and much younger and he beat me 1 to nothing. I usually do well against a big beginner. But this guy was strong, aggressive had good ballance and I just wasn't exposive enough to mount a good offence. So what is your opinion?

Never rely on face value of young, old, fast, lineage, etc.
    Examine, test, observe, etc then make a judgement based on these and you will become better.

Was your opponent boastful (puffed out chest like he was a bad dude) or calm?
    Was he kind and considerate?
    Did he appear openminded? Apparently he did and he wanted to see what you could have shown him but he tested (as he should have) and learnt you did not have anything to show at that point in time! Am I correct?

He did it politely, that is!

You could always learn to "cheat" better......
    OTOH, "sh1t happens"!

There are never absolutes. Take Randy Couture as a high profile example.

Additionally, I was watching WEC last night and watched a fight between a guy who was 33 vs a guy that was 23. The kid wanted to fight the "veteran" because the vet had knocked out his friend in an earlier fight...whatever.

Point being the kid came out all guns blazing...the veteran stayed composed, and took advantage of the kid's lack of experience. Knocked the kid around with about 4 distinct solid shots (and each time the kid looked like he was out on his feet). The kill came when the vet knocked the kid down with another solid shot, when the kid tried to rest on him by rushing in, the vet suplexed him (no ****) and then hit him again, and then gulliotined him.

Awesome fight, and proof that old doesn't always lose to young.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    True story.

That's MY bunny mahng!
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Never rely on face value of young, old, fast, lineage, etc.
    Examine, test, observe, etc then make a judgement based on these and you will become better.

Was your opponent boastful (puffed out chest like he was a bad dude) or calm?
    Was he kind and considerate?
    Did he appear openminded? Apparently he did and he wanted to see what you could have shown him but he tested (as he should have) and learnt you did not have anything to show at that point in time! Am I correct?

He did it politely, that is!

Good addvice. the guy seems friendly. Not boastfull. I just surprized at myself.

I thought there was some posts about older MMA fighters....

...but I couldn't figure out how to search for them. So I'll just put this here. Maybe if I find those other posts, I'll merge them into this to keep things tidy.

FEBRUARY 24, 2016

68-YEAR-OLD GRANNY MAKES MMA DEBUT AND LOSES BY VIOLENT AND DISTURBING TKO, PROMOTION SAYS THEY ‘MADE POSITIVE MMA HISTORY’

JAN OMEGA
    On February 19, 2016, many MMA fans tuned in to watch what is now called “the worst MMA televised event ever,” Bellator 149: Shamrock vs. Gracie. In the main event, UFC legends Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie fought in their final fight in a trilogy. The co-main event was Kimbo Slice and Dada 5000 settling their lifelong grudge. Prior to their fights, MMA fans were hoping for a sense of nostalgia. Instead, they victimized onlookers with a freak show.

The worst fight of the night, and now considered the worst fight in MMA history, was easily Kimbo Slice versus Dada 5000. After a minute in the first round, both competitors gassed out, making the remainder of their fight mundane and sluggish. Unfortunately for everyone watching, that remainder lasted up to three rounds. Eventually, Kimbo won the fight by TKO. On paper, it says Kimbo hit Dada with a right hook, but it looks more like Dada collapsed from exhaustion.

Within the aftermath of Kimbo Slice and Dada 5000’s fight, many within the MMA community have questioned if such fights should even happen. It is worth asking given that Dada had to be taken straight to the hospital after his fight. Also, Dada almost died from heart and renal failure. When is someone stepping in the MMA cage too old, too unfit, or too inexperienced to fight? These are the questions promoters need to ask before making a fight official. If they did, a “soccer mom” wouldn’t have been brutally knocked out, Dada 5000 wouldn’t have fought, and most recently, a 68-year-old granny wouldn’t have been brutally TKO’d. What worse about the latter is promoters are claiming the “made positive MMA history” with the fight.

Sparta Combat League, an MMA promotion based out of Colorado, is the latest promotion to join a long line of others who have booked fights that made the MMA community say in their minds “What the hell?” According to MMA Mania, they recently booked a match between Laura Dettman, a 24-year-old fighter with a 3-2-0 MMA record, against Ann Perez, a 68-year-old granny who made her MMA debut that night.

Laura Dettman and Ann Perez’s fight can be seen in its entirety in the following attached video. Some people might find the video disturbing given it is footage of a young woman assaulting a much-older lady despite it being allowed.

Laura Dettman does not hold anything back as she literally decimates Ann Perez, who had a troublesome time keeping up her guard. Once Dettman gets Perez down to the ground, it does not take long for her to full mount in position for a barrage of ground and pound. It looks like the referee was taking his sweet time in stopping the fight, because Perez clearly could not defend herself.

Ann Perez and Laura Dettman took a picture together after the fight which was uploaded by Amanda Armstrong. The promotion touted the fight as “making positive MMA history.” [Image via Amanda Armstrong’s Facebook]
    Thankfully, Ann Perez was not severely hurt, probably because she has a lengthy combat background specifically in kickboxing. The match was even promoted as “making positive MMA history,” given that Perez now holds the record of the oldest person to compete in MMA, according to Uproxx. That is truly an accomplishment Perez deserves applause for. However, is her record worth breaking? Do we really want to see someone in their 70s, 80s, or even their 90s go up against someone who is in their late teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, or even 50s?

Ultimately, MMA promotions will book fights just like Laura Dettman versus Ann Perez (and Kimbo Slice versus Dada 5000 and Ilima-Lei Macfarlane versus Katie Castro), because MMA fans will want to see them. Most likely, this situation will be analyzed seriously when it is too late.

[Image via SCL 48 Fight 7 Dettman v Perez]
    And for archival sake, there's this: Ken-Shamrock-vs-Royce-Gracie-Full-Fight-2016-02-19
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I give Ann Perez credit for stepping into the ring, but IMO she doesn't belong there. They said that she comes from a solid kickboxing background, but that was NOT evident from the start. Or perhaps she kickboxed in the 1980s and took the last 30 years off? Age might only be a number, but when it comes to competitive in-ring fighting, it's more than a number when someone at their physical peak is cleaning your clock.

This was really stupid. As stupid as, and potentially more tragic than, the fight that had the overweight, non-fighter soccer mom who was predictably KO'd.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-24-2016 at 04:51 PM.