Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wall Bag Set

Blog Entries
    choy lee fut people are suckers for pain. banging our bags against walls. go figure.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Wall Bag Set Necessary?

Just for the sake of discussion....

I'm all for progression and keeping CLF, CLF regardless of the form or practice being done, but I couldn't help but think while watching the wall bag set if it was really necessary? The Sa Bou Jong achieves roughly the same goal and even provides a moving target plus a target that you can use angles of attack on.

Even with the Ching Jong the person training should be smart enough not to kill themselves but gradually progress in the strength of their attacks as the body allows.

Wow, I haven't posted in a loooong time!

It's fun to just read the forums though.

Anyhow, in response to fawlung, I think the easiest way to respond to this is not everyone has a sa bau jong or a ching jong...

I never learned either of these forms (although I would like to have) when I lived near my school and I understand that the actual dummies themselves are pretty expensive and hard to get these days anyway unless you buy the wood and build them yourself.

On the otherhand, finding two sandbags and pinning them to a wall is fairly easy and quite economical! And, as you said, you have pretty similar gains to the sa bau jong...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What's this about banging people's bags against walls ?
    This video comes to mind. LOL @ 1:50 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8kGPXOoUw

The sau bau jong is nothing more than a hanging bag so that would also be pretty easy for someone to use. I agree about the ching jong, mine cost me about $700 or so if I remember correctly.

Whatever people have to do to train traditional or modern it really doesn't matter as long as it works for you. Besides what is modern now will be considered traditional in another decade or so anyhow. Modern is fine as long as it doesn't compromise the system itself. All things must grow but if you add nuclear waste to something it might grow in ways it was not intended.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    The sau bau jong is nothing more than a hanging bag so that would also be pretty easy for someone to use. I agree about the ching jong, mine cost me about $700 or so if I remember correctly.

Whatever people have to do to train traditional or modern it really doesn't matter as long as it works for you. Besides what is modern now will be considered traditional in another decade or so anyhow. Modern is fine as long as it doesn't compromise the system itself. All things must grow but if you add nuclear waste to something it might grow in ways it was not intended.
    Hi Sisuk!

Actually, $700 doesn't sound all that bad... must be the BIG BUCKS I get as an engineer these days... I wish...

I suspected the sau bau jong was a hanging bag... I never saw anyone at our school practice it, yet we had several hanging bags... do you know it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    I wrote an article in kungfu taichi magazine called "traditional yet progressive" That focuses on the traditionally progressive approach to the choy lay fut method. The link to the article here http://www.hungsingchoylayfut.com/desktop_007.htm
    Thanks for the link! It was a great read indeed.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

i like that wall bag set. it looks pretty cool. i can see how it can help you.

whats the harm in doing something like that?

Think I must make me some of those wall bags
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Might be interesting to place the wall bag on a medium size tree and put one in the front and one on each side...

You could also more or less do a "wall" bag set utilizing the side of the ching jong depending on how the ching jong is set up.

Blog Entries
    the only thing that matters is having an open mind and finding a use for the wall bag.

I for one definately am for the practice of wall bag forms. hell in the past i would use the tree the same way. or even a wall period.

One must always see the potential in any type of training no matter how silly it is.

The actually have some nice modern type wall bags at brendan lai's supply store here in sf.

Blog Entries
    fawlung, that is what i do with my students. hang the wall bag from a tree, and if you want to use the whole tree, place a few around the tree. it would even help your bagua type of stepping.