Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall Bag Set

Wall Bag Set

It was written that one must perform the wall bag set five times a day for several years. Is this a universal rule throughout CLF or does the wall bag set not even exist for some of you?

Additionally, it is also said that the wall bag set is not a traditional set. What is meant by this?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Wall Bag Form

I found this one from S America?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pYUikEmEkls

Although the one I was taught is a little different, but basically the same. The person who taught me said it was NOT a traditional set.

Ginosifu
    Last edited by ginosifu; 03-03-2008 at 01:42 PM.

The Wall Bag set passed in Grandmaster DFW's lineage is not a traditional set, so it was created by Grandmaster. He designed it, I believe, to help strengthen the fists and to help understand how the strikes come out with full power. The Wall Bag is the kind of training you can do solo, without a partner, but isn't hardcore to the point where you are beating a wooden dummy before your body is naturally developed (though, I think we all still do ). If you do this set 5 times every day for the first few years of your training then you hands will be well conditioned.

Blog Entries
    the big problem is that too many people worry if a form is traditional or not as if it would make the form any more effective being that its traditional.

We all make up forms that eventually get passed down then become traditional over time. everything evolves or remains stagnant.

Personally, i could care less if a set is traditional, as long as it is derived from CLF and not from some other style, then in my opinion it is still CLF. just modern CLF.

The wall bag form is a great form to have. regardless of traditional or modern birth.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Trad VS Modern

Ditto what hskwarrior said

Ginosifu

as Sifu Frank pointed aou it doesnt matter if its not traditional as long its effective... we also have a form on a heavy punching bag..the techniques are not new they are all from the forms..so now u do the techniques on a heavy,moving object so u have to follow,adapt ur footwork its a good excercise..its actually the first form u learn in my school...

Actually, isn't CLF designed on the very premise of evolving and improving?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Blog Entries
    we should all hope so brother drake. we should all hope so.

unfortunately, there are those who try to place themselves at the top of the hierarchy by claiming to have the most traditional forms.

but in my opinion, any existing form that either Jeung Hung Sing or Chan Heung created themselves wasn't originally a traditional form. It was based off of things they learned.

We all practice forms not created by our founders, but our direct lineages. Nothing wrong with that.

Lets say you have one wall bag form, and this has inspired more techniques and methods that wasn't in the form you learned. Because it wasn't handed down by the founders, should you toss in the garbage?

HELL NO, to answer that nicely. you put together another wall bag form. as long as all the techniques are derived from the Choy Lee Fut style, than anything you put together is CLF, just not traditional, but MODERN CLF. JUST KEEP IT CHOY LEE FUT!!!!! (but you have to be CLF to do so)
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 03-05-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Traditionally nontraditional. I like that.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Traditionally nontraditional
    I wrote an article in kungfu taichi magazine called "traditional yet progressive" That focuses on the traditionally progressive approach to the choy lay fut method. The link to the article here http://www.hungsingchoylayfut.com/desktop_007.htm
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    I found this one from S America?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pYUikEmEkls

Although the one I was taught is a little different, but basically the same. The person who taught me said it was NOT a traditional set.

Ginosifu
    Boy, you know something is wrong when you start bowing to a sand bag, lol. Was that guy trying to gain power in his punches or learning how to dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    I wrote an article in kungfu taichi magazine called "traditional yet progressive" That focuses on the traditionally progressive approach to the choy lay fut method. The link to the article here http://www.hungsingchoylayfut.com/desktop_007.htm
    I enjoyed that article. I am almost finished with The Sup Gee Kau Da set and some of the things you mentioned I can relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    we should all hope so brother drake. we should all hope so.

unfortunately, there are those who try to place themselves at the top of the hierarchy by claiming to have the most traditional forms.

but in my opinion, any existing form that either Jeung Hung Sing or Chan Heung created themselves wasn't originally a traditional form. It was based off of things they learned.

We all practice forms not created by our founders, but our direct lineages. Nothing wrong with that.

Lets say you have one wall bag form, and this has inspired more techniques and methods that wasn't in the form you learned. Because it wasn't handed down by the founders, should you toss in the garbage?

HELL NO, to answer that nicely. you put together another wall bag form. as long as all the techniques are derived from the Choy Lee Fut style, than anything you put together is CLF, just not traditional, but MODERN CLF. JUST KEEP IT CHOY LEE FUT!!!!! (but you have to be CLF to do so)

The only thing I'd add is to show it to other CLF folks, especially seniors, before going off and naming it something like " Sifu Frank's really kickass version of the wall bag set, only with mad fu jau action and less silly yum tsops" and trying to put it into a cirriculum.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Blog Entries
    my wall bag form is called: theincrediblebetterthanedibleshmoovaseggs wall bag form.

traditional or not, its top notch.

What's this about banging people's bags against walls ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !