Thread: World Victory Road

World Victory Road

Without a peep from local press, except in the on-line community, Colorado’s favorite UFC champion and K-1 veteran, Duane “Bang” Ludwig, left for Japan in the pre-dawn hours of March 1st to participate in the inaugural World Victory Road event against Takanori Gomi

Without a peep from local press, except in the on-line community, Colorado’s favorite UFC champion and K-1 veteran, Duane “Bang” Ludwig, left for Japan in the pre-dawn hours of March 1st to participate in the inaugural World Victory Road event against Takanori Gomi. Although the buzz of this event is just becoming more visible in U.S. MMA circles, the Tokyo promoters are looking forward to their Pride lightweight champion kicking some prestigious American butt. Did they not do their research? Rumor has it that Gomi has been exploring a possible overture from UFC President Dana White but for him to increase his value, doesn’t he need to expunge the memory of his gogoplata submission to Nick Diaz in July 2007? Perhaps philosophically, he can dismiss that loss because it was overturned and determined to be a no-contest when Diaz was tested positively for marijuana but I have to ask every former flower-child . . . wouldn’t being high on marijuana diminish one’s ability to perform rather than enhance it?
    March 5th is the date of this contest between the local favorite, Gomi and our champion, Duane “Bang”. Oh, but to be a cricket on the wall for that event! This will not be televised or even a pay-per-view in the U.S. but if our boy comes home victorious, every MMA writer will be right on top of this story as an “I told you so”.
    Accompanying Duane “Bang” on this trip is his Manager, Sven Bean, his Coach, Betiss Mansouri, his Corner, Eliot Marshall and his lovely and supporting wife, Jessica. Sven Bean tells me that Duane is more cut and ripped than he recalls him ever being. Although the invitation was only proposed recently, Duane was already preparing for another bout in Tacoma, Wa in an upcoming Strikeforce event against Steve Berger so his focus has been unwavering on victory.
    Duane “Bang” Ludwig is a former IKF (International Kickboxing Federation) and American Muay Thai Light and Middleweight Champion among other prestigious credentials. He is best known for his K-1 record but his Jiu Jitsu training has been intense and he feels confident in his ground game. A signature move of his is one that he adopted from his early fascination with martial arts films when the Karate Kid flattened his opponent with a balanced bird-like whip kick.
    Heads up, Gomi. Duane “Bang” Ludwig has continued to “up” his game both on his feet and on the ground. He isn’t traveling to Tokyo as a token sacrifice to elevate the prestige of a fighter who has not had an opponent other than a sparring partner in over a year. If a fight goes the distance on home ground, there could always be interpretations as to whether a local hero could lose but my guess is that Duane “Bang” has no intention of turning this decision over to the judges.
    Thoughts? Has anyone else ever heard of this event?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I must admit, though, I really liked this bit about Nick diaz's Mary Jane use...

Did they not do their research? Rumor has it that Gomi has been exploring a possible overture from UFC President Dana White but for him to increase his value, doesn’t he need to expunge the memory of his gogoplata submission to Nick Diaz in July 2007? Perhaps philosophically, he can dismiss that loss because it was overturned and determined to be a no-contest when Diaz was tested positively for marijuana but I have to ask every former flower-child . . . wouldn’t being high on marijuana diminish one’s ability to perform rather than enhance it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it