Thread: wu dang being like shaolin?

wu dang being like shaolin?

dont know if this is in the right section...
    but i never really kept up with wu dang
    but ran into this clip on accident
    a lot of this stuff look like wushu..maybe withs ome wu dang flavor??since i dont know wu dang...or seen much...
    but it look like a typical shaolin performance these days....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlJOY7cNEhw
    it even has the one body lie on 5 spear thing too like in shaolin!!!
    is everyone going into the wushu aspect now??
    looks nice though, im not gonna lie =)

Looks nice. But I believe the reason why Wu Dan is doing more wushu forms is because of the Chinese gov't attempt to standardize kung fu.

its an interesting performance.

and since thats what it was, a performance, rather than a demonstration of wudang gongfu, of course they used modern wushu to draw in the interest. shaolin uses modern wushu for that same purpose.

but the second half there was modern shaolin style performance. all the final weapons were shaolin style forms, not wudang style.

i just see this performance as a way to draw interest and let people know there is still wudang tradition- mainly by their dress, like shaolin performers dressing like monks. once you go there to learn you may (or may not) find the traditional wudang gongfu.

the same trap is in shaolin. modern wushu is used to draw you to it and if you're smart you may find the real stuff behind it all. and if you're not so lucky then you'll go and learn more modern wushu and waste all your money on them.

two sides to every coin... that buys a pancake- which also has two sides. i'm hungry.

Is it possible that Shaolin martial arts themselves are rooted in the Taoist arts, so they tend to look the same for that reason?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

i would say no, because they dont really look the same.

those weapon forms in the second half were not wudang style. it was straight shaolin.

wudang

depending on where you learn wudang it can actually have a great amount of shaolin influence in it, mostly contemp long fist aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon View Post
    Is it possible that Shaolin martial arts themselves are rooted in the Taoist arts, so they tend to look the same for that reason?
    no
    shaolin was the original martial art =)

Quote Originally Posted by shaolin_allan View Post
    depending on where you learn wudang it can actually have a great amount of shaolin influence in it, mostly contemp long fist aspects.
    i wouldnt call that shaolin influence on wudang. nor would i say there is wudang influence on shaolin.

what that there is is prc influence on them both!

no
    shaolin was the original martial art =)

If you follow the latest research, you can see much of Shaolin is based off of the Taoist Tong Bei (white ape). That style goes back 3000+ years or so.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Coming soon to a city near you......people with long hair in top knots claiming to teach real traditional Wudang....from Wudang mountain.