Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suen Sifu on Bak Hsing CLF

Suen Sifu on Bak Hsing CLF

Hey all,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0nxtOBpqA

Here is a short interview with my Sifu, Master Henry Suen Wai on his thoughts, ideas and experiences after 42 years in our style. In my mind he is one of the stellar martial artists who have attained the higheset levels of their art. As well he has lead all of his disciples down the right path because of his attitude and openness as well as his teaching abilities. I owe my Sifu everything I have & to quote my freind Sharif Bey, "all my successes belong to my Sifu, only the mistakes are mine"

I'm on leg one of my "world travels" stay tuned to my youtube as there is a wealth of new video on the way.
    Last edited by Satori Science; 03-10-2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

I don’t understand one thing. Are you saying Side way fighting stance is unique to Bak Sing CLF or to CLF in general. I don’t do bak sing (Im LKH CLF), but I do the same. The opening sequence of Ng Long Choy and Che Kuen teaches us to fight side ways.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

That was great. Thanks for that!
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I don’t understand one thing. Are you saying Side way fighting stance is unique to Bak Sing CLF or to CLF in general. I don’t do bak sing (Im LKH CLF), but I do the same. The opening sequence of Ng Long Choy and Che Kuen teaches us to fight side ways.
    I'm guessing how they lean in that stance...the hop ga punches I do use full shoulder but we don't have their lean back horse leopard fist to ribs.

Good chat Satori, thanks for sharing.

James

I guess I am saying that it is how we fight, if it is also how you fight then no I guess it isn't unique then.....
    Post a video up illustrating your point so I can respond to exactly what you mean.

Diego glad you enjoyed it man
    I am in Vancouver right now and pretty free until Thursday, PM me with your contact # if you want to hook up & have time this week. Or you could come chill with my crew at Tiger Balms on Saturday if your tied up this week?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Satori Science; 03-10-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: add
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

no i wasnt being nasty or anyting, its just something Ive read on here before, and now heard it on the video.

I know apparently thats a tam sam thing, he faught side ways, but all the while i was thinking this was a CLF thing.

In the video your sifu said this is unique to our style, i was asking if he meant unique to your BS or to your CLF.

得 心 應 手

well.....

no i wasnt being nasty or anyting, its just something Ive read on here before, and now heard it on the video.

I know apparently thats a tam sam thing, he faught side ways, but all the while i was thinking this was a CLF thing.

In the video your sifu said this is unique to our style, i was asking if he meant unique to your BS or to your CLF.

Well, every style uses sideways stances when they do a side punch or chop in their forms, but do they extend sideways, "the way that we do, when and how we do" when they fight. I have never seen others do this in the way we do, I sparred a Lee Koon Hung man yesterday. Real nice fellow, but I saw no signs of what I am talking about in his movements, i did however see "similar" movements in his forms. As I said, the easiest thing, if your actaully curious is to simply post something up, so I can see what you mean. On public or private is fine,

cheers,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

Who was this LKH man you sparred with? Just curious if I know him.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    Well, every style uses sideways stances when they do a side punch or chop in their forms, but do they extend sideways, "the way that we do, when and how we do" when they fight.
    Yes. Having seen both sides of the fence I can say that the difference is largely stylistic. Tsop Chui is fully side on with all the energy extending out to the side, that's what makes it Tsop Chui. It's the same wether it's Hung Sing or Bak Sing.
    What Bak Sing is very good at is explaining certain aspects of CLF fighting theory very clearly, and indeed when I teach San Shou I still use the Bak Sing model to teach certain skills.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

satori, my fighting style is more san shou with clf techniques thrown in. when i say this, i mean I use a basic side ways stance, while using CLF techniques in a 'free style' sort of way.

I've seen many san shou fighters who used the same side way stance, and i've seen Thaiboxing (and pekgwar) fighters in HK who also do that.

Another thing I liked on the video is that I saw your sifu talking about the techniques he did 'wrong' before he trained with lung chee (was it?). He said he used to side step away from the guy, and then learned how to step into the guy. I actually see exactly how this works, and like both ways, but I do agree with your sifu that the way of moving into the guy is probably better for fighting.

It seems to me you are getting a little aggressive in your replies to me. Just so you know, I wasn’t arguing against your sifu in any way, and I didn’t mean any harm in my posts. I simply asked something in the same way I would have asked if your sifu was in front of me. No foul intentions. Being civil and polite doesn’t cost much.

But again, I was honestly not trying to stir anything. Your sifu looks like a nice and well skilled CLF master. I respect people like that.

No need to post videos, this is a simple discussion.
    得 心 應 手

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    What Bak Sing is very good at is explaining certain aspects of CLF fighting theory very clearly, and indeed when I teach San Shou I still use the Bak Sing model to teach certain skills.

I think I know what you mean
    得 心 應 手

Blog Entries
    Im my opinion, and this could be up to the individual, but we all use the side stance when it comes to fighting. That has always been the method of Professor Lau Bun's Hung Sing lineage. in fact, i am talking briefly about the side stance in a book on CLF i've been working on.

Not trying to stir up the pot, but at first after seeing so much Buk Sing stuff lately, i was shocked to see sooo much in them that we have been doing all along. but after that initial shock, i realized that we are really the same to a certain extent. so it all makes sense.

The side stance is very common amongst all three branches from i can tell. Chan Yong Fa breaks down the side stance and the 3 gates nicely on one of his web sites.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

yeah, that was exactly what i was saying. so perhaps Sifu Seun meant all CLF when he said our style.
    得 心 應 手

Buk sing might have a tendency to lean in a bit more with their chop choy's than the other branches when it comes to the side stance but I think the side stance is very common to CLF in general. I know we use a lot of it.

interesting stuff!

he seems like a nice man and a great sifu.