Tarm Fei Pang
    | |
    Bosco Yang Raymond Leung
    | |
    Henry Suen
    |
    Robert James

is that correct?
    Yup thats correct, my Sifu also learned directly from Chan Woo Lueng, that is ware our northern forms come from as Lueng Sigung only taught Sil Lum 6.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post

this isnt a big deal anyways, and i wasnt trying to take ' hard work' away from anyone. it was merely a casual conversation on something i love doing.
    Agreed,

there simply is a pattern I have seen for people via the interent to say that what we do is "exactly the same" as what they do(not accusing you of that as I know you it wasn't what you were doing, but I do insist on emphasizing the differences). When ever I have trainied in person with other CLF it has never seemed "exactly" the same to me or them, but it always seems like CLF.

I have several brothers who teach other styles, from Hung Ga to Praying Mantis, good gung fu is good gung fu, period. there are more similarities than differences between all the styles and often we get hung up on "shape" but there are also differences both in shape and in function. This is why there are different stlyes.

Peep this vid, I made it for my Sidi Gary, man is gonna be a mean Sifu some day. I can't take any credit for his kicking, that comes straight from my Sifu & his talent but I did put a lot of work in with him this year on his fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzGYnxxwlPU
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Nobody does things exactly the same, heck we have differences within our own lineage. That is why I like kung fu so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    Agreed,

there simply is a pattern I have seen for people via the interent to say that what we do is "exactly the same" as what they do(not accusing you of that as I know you it wasn't what you were doing, but I do insist on emphasizing the differences). When ever I have trainied in person with other CLF it has never seemed "exactly" the same to me or them, but it always seems like CLF.

I have several brothers who teach other styles, from Hung Ga to Praying Mantis, good gung fu is good gung fu, period. there are more similarities than differences between all the styles and often we get hung up on "shape" but there are also differences both in shape and in function. This is why there are different stlyes.

Peep this vid, I made it for my Sidi Gary, man is gonna be a mean Sifu some day. I can't take any credit for his kicking, that comes straight from my Sifu & his talent but I did put a lot of work in with him this year on his fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzGYnxxwlPU
    A+!!

**** that was a well timed kick!
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    hey, robert james is also the PG guy right?
    Ive heared some good things about him from sifu Chow. If thats the one I am thinking about.
    PG guy? I'm not familiar/ don't understand? But I don't know Sifu Chow, at least I dont think I do. Please fill me in,

cheers
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

haha that poor kid.
    "Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

sorry, I had my names mixed up.
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

It is agreed there are similarities between the CLF families, but each has their unique applications and philosophies. The differences may not be distinctive to the untrained eye, but anyone who has trained in CLF can see as plain as day when and where the paths split.

I had a thread earlier about the attack philosophy as can be evidenced through our patterns. Yes, you fight sideways and at first glance of technique it seems to be the same, but no you do not apply it in the same manner. You step differently, which is to say you move differently. If you move differently then we think differently. The individual technique may be the 'same' or very similar, as this we share, but string several moves together and the differences become more...apparent. It is the 'same' story told differently.

Great work Satori. Always a pleasure to watch your adventures.

nospam.

Quote Originally Posted by nospam View Post

Great work Satori. Always a pleasure to watch your adventures.

Thanks man,

check the new vid, Sifu shows out a coupk=le of things,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5KdQaY6VeM

enjoy
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

Satori, is the Bak hsing school that's in Regina private or commercial?.

I appreciate having the chance to see your guys old footage, Suen Sifu looks like a really good teacher, when you said you only trained a few years I was impressed at how well your Sifu groomed you in the fundamentals.

What was that board breaking test?...5 boards for side kick...

didnt need to hear wat suen sifu was sayin in the first 40 seconds
    heard it many times from sifu and sigung

great demo of buck sing charp chui

One thing I noticed in the last video was something very similar to what we do in my lineage. The use of the waist and hip to get power when projecting out the chop choy. The other thing was the twisting/corkscrew motion of the chop choy.

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    Satori, is the Bak hsing school that's in Regina private or commercial?.

I appreciate having the chance to see your guys old footage, Suen Sifu looks like a really good teacher, when you said you only trained a few years I was impressed at how well your Sifu groomed you in the fundamentals.

What was that board breaking test?...5 boards for side kick...
    I've trained in the system for 5 years but had previous experience in kung fu as well. But I have had the good forutne to spend a lot of time one on one with my teacher. I lived in my sihings school for a year & even worked for Sifu (for free I might add, but then I haven't paid him for lessons in years either) for 2 years in his dim sum restaurant. I got most of my best lessons hung over on sturday mornings drinking coffee with him and cutting chicken's feet

He is an excellent instructor and if I have any talent at all I owe it to him. the school was privately run by my sihings for about 10 years after my Sifu retired in 1989 but he kept a small group of Chinese students including my sworn brother Ian who has been with him since 1988. He "re-opened at the request of the chinese community in the late 90's & we teach the lion dance for the Chinese canadian assoc. in town and have a pretty core group that have been around for a long time. really we are neither commercial or private, we just are. Doing our thing.

5 pieces of board with a kick was one part of my next test, yes.
    Last edited by Satori Science; 03-12-2008 at 05:31 PM.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    I've trained in the system for 5 years but had previous experience in kung fu as well. But I have had the good forutne to spend a lot of time one on one with my teacher. I lived in my sihings school for a year & even worked for Sifu (for free I might add, but then I haven't paid him for lessons in years either) for 2 years in his dim sum restaurant. I got most of my best lessons hung over on sturday mornings drinking coffee with him and cutting chicken's feet

He is an excellent instructor and if I have any talent at all I owe it to him. the school was privately run by my sihings for about 10 years after my Sifu retired in 1989 but he kept a small group of Chinese students including my sworn brother Ian who has been with him since 1988. He "re-opened at the request of the chinese community in the late 90's & we teach the lion dance for the Chinese canadian assoc. in town and have a pretty core group that have been around for a long time. really we are neither commercial or private, we just are. Doing our thing.

5 pieces of board with a kick was one part of my next test, yes.
    I noticed you guys have this subtle kidding with each other thing going...in the chat video you're prodding at him, "yeah, yeah" and he mimics you, I think it's cool how much of a family you guys seem.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    I noticed you guys have this subtle kidding with each other thing going...in the chat video you're prodding at him, "yeah, yeah" and he mimics you, I think it's cool how much of a family you guys seem.

cheers
    I took the Bisi I did with him pretty serious, he kept me fed thru college & kept me going/training thru a lot of hard times over the last few years. Originally he made me his disciple in the back of the restaurant. The ceremony was important to me so I prodded at him to do it with me before I left, he said "you know it really never mattered to me, all I'm worried about is what is in your heart"

I think you need to be grounded like that in TCMA, the art emphasizes so much on aggression and violence that without a good heart the results can be, well you get the idea. Mark Ho Sifu says just that in one of his interview vids, the the strength of TCMA is that they transcend simply being a way of killing, that they give you a sense of history and culture, they make a place in the world for you and help you to become a complete person because there must be more to the art than simply teaching the most direct method to kill. That said, the art cannot deviate from its purpose or it ceases to be a "martial" art. There are a lot of enlightened philosophers out there pretending to be taiji experts, I know as I've met a few....
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com