Thread: Learning with no teacher...

Learning with no teacher...

Hi all!!!

Im new to the forums, this will be my second post now.
    Just wondering if there anyone could give my some things like
    Links, Books, Drills etc etc that I can do to help with learning kung fu
    without a sifu?

Where I live there is no where to learn kung fu apart from where Im learning now which teches Tiger and Crane but it's not the main focus of the school.
    Ive been learning martial arts for about 7 years and have studied a few different styles, but the things I have learnt in kung fu thus far have intrigued me alot.

I've tried Wing Chun as its the only other style offered and I wanted to learn SOMETHING but I found it hard to keep up because it wasnt really what I wanted to be doing.
    Im planning on training in China soon to learn the real martial arts but until then Id like to be able to train myself and learn as much as I can.

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Long-Wang View Post
    Hi all!!!

without a sifu?

Where I live there is no where to learn kung fu apart from where Im learning now which teches Tiger and Crane but it's not the main focus of the school.
    Ive been learning martial arts for about 7 years and have studied a few different styles, but the things I have learnt in kung fu thus far have intrigued me alot.

I've tried Wing Chun as its the only other style offered and I wanted to learn SOMETHING but I found it hard to keep up because it wasnt really what I wanted to be doing.
    Im planning on training in China soon to learn the real martial arts but until then Id like to be able to train myself and learn as much as I can.

Thank you all!
    If you want a good distance learning teacher, I highly recommend Grandmaster Doc Fai Wong. His style is CLF and Tai Chi. You can reach him at docfai@gmail.com. There's also Sifu Frank McCarthy who puts up a number of Hung Sing, Lau Bun lineage specific drills on youtube. He's on here as Hskwarrior. In other CLF lineages, I don't know of any distance learning programs aside from Tat Mau Wong's.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

there is plenty of material available that will allow you to dabble in many many styles.

learning with no teacher is like saying "driving a car, without the car"

your teacher will be your practice and the methods you have in front of you.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Long-Wang View Post
    Hi all!!!

without a sifu?

Thank you all!
    Without a point of reference, something to relate to, its virtually impossible to learn without a teacher, though sometimes no teacher is better than a bad one.
    If you have some prior experience in a MA with "carryover" into another styles, like Judo going into BJJ, AND you have access to good training partners you MAY b e able to get a solid core in a system via DVD's and books (DVD's being preferable, but you really won't be able to get the "true experience" that comes with a qualified instructor.
    Now, that said, in your case it may not be possible to to do that so I can suggest that you find one that is closest to you and try to "commute" once a month at least for training and then workout on your own with partners ( partners are a must).

If you have a very solid core and many years of experience you can learn form videos and such ( again with decent partners) unless the power generation is totally different than anything you have experience with.

Truly it is all about "point of reference".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I can suggest that you find one that is closest to you and try to "commute" once a month at least for training and then workout on your own with partners ( partners are a must).".
    Ideally you want a few of you to do the commute .....allows more information to be taken in and more importantly recalled and recalled accurately when you're back home. Also gets your training partners to 'buy into' the training along with you.

Hung Gar's Tiger & Crane as well as Wing chun. That's more than most people have available.

How far have you gotten in your training?

what is it you are looking for?

If your just a collector of forms I'd recommend www.youtube.com

there is so much material on there it should keep you busy for the rest of your life.

If your going to China that probably means you've got $$, so............

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei View Post
    Hung Gar's Tiger & Crane as well as Wing chun. That's more than most people have available.

How far have you gotten in your training?

what is it you are looking for?

If your just a collector of forms I'd recommend www.youtube.com

there is so much material on there it should keep you busy for the rest of your life.

If your going to China that probably means you've got $$, so............

Finished the siu pau kuen, siu jin kuen, ng lun ma, waiting to be evaluated on my ng lun chui, and looking into nine-star blocking and the wall bag set coming up. They may be forms, but forms are just sequences of drills, which are how you are trained to fight. It's also now being suggested to me that I find myself a partner at this point.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

yep a partner is definetly needed at this point.

Forms are the Map but you still need the keys (theories and principles) to open the treasure box.

Thank you

Thank you all so much for your help so far, if anyone has any more please let me know!!!

Im happy with learning Hung Gaa but its not the whole system being taught, its
    only one full from and some more of another that my sifu picked up in his travels
    and he knows all the applications as well as some eagle claw applications and a few random weapons forms but his main style is Wing Chun and its the only style he knows all of, if that makes sense. But Id like to find somewhere to learn a full system to master, but until then I'd like to be able to get started somewhere with anywhere that can help start someone off in learning traditional kung fu. I have about 8 years martial arts experience so Im not just learning from no where, but I know that with no sifu to direct me I cant get far, Id just like to get as far as possible.

And it's actually not that expensive to travel to where I want to go, Ive got it worked that its roughly 4-5k inc. return airfares, training, accomodation, food and clothing for a month of full time training.

The teacher who is not also a student is neither.

The student without at teacher...who is clearly not also a student.......the teacher that is.....not the student without the teacher who is not also a student....er.....

1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.