Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm/Body training pros and cons

Iron Palm/Body training pros and cons

OK, I will ask the experts here. Perhaps Mr Dugas can shed some light too.

What are the pros and cons of this type of training? We all know that if not done right it can be a detrement to you. But what other effects can it have short and long term? How does it affect the health of a martial artist overall considering it is done correctly?
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    OK, I will ask the experts here. Perhaps Mr Dugas can shed some light too.

What are the pros and cons of this type of training? We all know that if not done right it can be a detrement to you. But what other effects can it have short and long term? How does it affect the health of a martial artist overall considering it is done correctly?
    What have you heard?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Red face

Pros
    Strengthen Hands, Arms, Bones, Increased muscle in hands and arms.

Teaches you to strike correctly/Follow through with strike/Transmit your energy effectively into your target.

Fun as hell

Cons
    If your a moron and train wrong you can end up with seriously messed hands.
    Time it takes to practice.

Training it wont make you invincible, time is better spent training if your chosen art, once you gain good enough skill in the art then you can think about adding supplemental training like this to your routine.

That's just my view point on this. I used to train Iron Palm for an hour and a half every night and attained pretty high skill level with it but found it to be quite useless when the person your fighting against has much higher fighting ability than yourself. That and school/work got in the way, also my girlfriend complained when I slapped her ass lol but my time has freed up again so I may go back to training this.
    Last edited by Broken Fist; 03-12-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    -Me

Strengthen Hands, Arms, Bones, Increased muscle in hands and arms

I bet a person can not find ONE scientific study to validate any of the above.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Wolf's Law states that gradual and continuous stress placed upon a bone will result in incresed bone density. This is exactly what Iron Palm training is.

Who needs scientific study when you can find a master of iron fist and just see for yourself....

just because science has not devoted the time to study iron fist methods does not mean it does not exist....the world isnt flat anymore either.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post

I bet a person can not find ONE scientific study to validate any of the above.
    Well, I had an x-ray done before my Ip and then 6 months after, and there was "noticable differences in bone density", according tot he technician.
    Haven't done one since though.
    Of course he didn't notice it off the bat, he was looking at the healing process of a finger I had dislocated a year or so before that ( my excuse for the x-ray), as he was looking I asked him if he noticed any difference in my before and after pics in regards to the bones, and after closer scrutinty he remarked on the bone density, funny he asked me if I had started working a jack hammer for work.
    Again, this is after only 6 months.

Not "pure" scientific, but good enough for me.

I know Wolff's law as it is indicated for weightlifting. Wolff's law has to do with a loading principle and how that loading principle works to give that specific bone more resistance to that specific type of loading.

That can be tested. Where does it showcase for a fact that slapping a bag full of material does this specific statement-
    Strengthen Hands, Arms, Bones, Increased muscle in hands and arms
    Now if he mentioned power development and nerve conditioning to pain, that is soemthing I can go with, at least a different discussion anyway.

btw- you do notice I am not saying it does not, but am asking for proof.

someone should take 3 people that have studied Iron Fist/Palm training for 10 years or more, then 3 martial artists who have never studied IP.

set up something they can hit that will gague the force issued with a punch.

Have the punching point be done on iron or steel plate

see who can hit it harder

someone should take 3 people that have studied Iron Fist/Palm training for 10 years or more, then 3 martial artists who have never studied IP.

set up something they can hit that will gague the force issued with a punch.

Have the punching point be done on iron or steel plate

see who can hit it harde
    Sorry, but that will not showcase what you attended to explain.

Hitting power has almost nothing to do with iron palm conditioning. Look into the physics of how mass works in motion, proper structure alignment, physical conditioning, and don't forget good old genetics.

im talking about how hard a guy can hit a solid piece of metal and not break his hand.

increase the number of people involved in the study.

10 IP vs 10 non IP trainers.

if 8 IP trainers can hit noticably harder than non IP trainers, that is evidence IMO

only prob is you have to get guys to break their hands. so no one will volunteer.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Wolf's Law also applies to the increase in leg and foot bone density occuring in runners due to impact on the pavement, or running surface.
    Iron Palm is gradually increasing the impact, duration, and striking medium.
    Skin and muscle density occurs similarly to how a callous is formed. The body adapts to stress. Muscle fibers also develop from increasing weight loads, as in weight lifting. Power is increased due to the fact that the strikes are "relaxed," meaning the recruitment of protagonistic muscle groups, and the relaxing of antagonistic muscle groups. Combine that with the proper structures,body movement and you have Quite a synergystic approach.
    It's basic physiology, not some Fantasy Island Kung-Fu Movie type nonesense.
    If it is kept within these realms, it's really nothing special. It's only when the LARPERS get their mitts on it that it all goes down the tubes.