Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm/Body training pros and cons

im just lumping iron palm, iron fist.

could just call it iron hand i guess. I'm not interested in just the palm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    im just lumping iron palm, iron fist.

could just call it iron hand i guess. I'm not interested in just the palm.
    The fist is not trained by all, some have issues with training the fist.
    Just as some have issues with training the fingers.

Dale Dugas has a fine program and great Jow, there are a few others here too, but Idon't know if they have instructionals.
    Steve Hamp used too and one hopes he will again.

Just avoid anything that tells you to slam or hit your hand hard and that use "everyday" jow for the treatment part of it.
    In regards to the chi building part, wither you believe in it or not, my simple view is this:
    Won't hurt, might actually help so, why not?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

This is looking pretty attractive.

https://www.coilingdragoninternalart...1925587cd07d1e

Lucas,

It is always better to learn from someone when learning this program but you can learn the basics and then start from there.

Any questions holler at me.

Paul,

As always thank you for the kind words...
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 03-18-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Lucas,

It is always better to learn from someone when learning this program but you can learn the basics and then start from there.

Paul,

My main problem is finding a qualified instructor in my area.

I am a quick learner, and have a nack with perception, so I'm hoping this could help me get situated from the beginning with something like what you offer on your site.

Is that package that I linked about my best bet for getting started?

I had some previous training when I was doing wing chun, sand bags/jow. But to me the place I was at didnt seem to have any set method. Seemed kind of poor, and I was concerned with improper practice and long term damage, so I stopped.

I am a quick learner, and have a nack with perception, so I'm hoping this could help me get situated from the beginning with something like what you offer on your site.

I had some previous training when I was doing wing chun, sand bags/jow. But to me the place I was at didnt seem to have any set method. Seemed kind of poor, and I was concerned with improper practice and long term damage, so I stopped.
    My 2 cents:
    If you can visit Dale, even for just one day, it will be well worth it.
    His program is great and time tested.
    His Jow is first class and I have used Jow from many other sources to compare.
    His instructional is great and he is always available to answer any and all questions.
    You can get in touch with Steve Hamp and see of he is closer to you, they have the same IP program from the same teacher, GM Chicoine.

IP is a work in progress, like any conditioning program, the biggest issue is looking at in from an "economist" point of view, IP like strenght training and all other forms of conditioning is "quality over quantity", more is NOT better, better is better.
    Correct is better.
    Its a 2 year program followed by a "lifetime' program simply because, like ST and other forms of conditioning, it will "go away" if not maintained.
    Good part is that this type of conditioning takes much longer to go away than ST for example, and yes, life will cause you to lose some time and there will be days that you can't do it 2x a day and you may even miss weeks at times, it is NOT the end of the world, you just get back to it.
    Sometimes a break is even a good thing, gives our bodies time to adapt to the stress put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Lucas,

Paul,

Ah Bro, you go out of your way to help people, the very least I can do is give you props for it.

As anything, you'll want to always "shop around". There are many variations of Iron Palm, just as I have seen different ways of doing Iron Vest and Muscle Restructure. You might not sign a year contract with the first school you checked out. I would advise this; read all you can about what you are wanting to persue, then check out who teaches what you want, then make up your mind as far as getting what you want.

Coach Steve,

Great words of advice.

For anyone interested. Both myself and Coach Steve teach Iron Palm from the same source. If you are interested please feel free to contact us.

Dale, I seen your sight and saw your brick breaking clips you have on there. Why only two bricks? and why the cloth? Just seems to me since your out there selling video and medicine why aren't you smashing at least 6 bricks on your website? Your IP "Teacher" smashed through at least 10...might be 12 cant remember. NOT SCORED, NOT BAKED, NO SPACERS. That was IP and still is. Not saying you're a charloten or weak but put some more blocks up there man! As on my previous post I've seen strong guys with no training break three bricks. You can do it!
    When you bring your hand down, you cannot pull it...I seen you pull a little at the end....make your hand go to the floor.
    A real nice demo of breaking is on you tube. Type in sifumiller and you'll see him crack 6 standing with a chop...and he does some with his elbow too.
    I've personally seen Steve break but I dont remember if he was there when I broke or not. It sure is fun especially when you have an audience of your peers...it kind of stokes you up. It was used for ranking.
    Anyway, more bricks!
    SW

I use a cloth as I was injured breaking a few years ago and sliced my hand open. I do not want to do that ever again.

I will be putting up more breaks in the near future. A bit busy with working, nursing school, teaching Baguazhang.

Breaking does get your going....

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    Dale, I seen your sight and saw your brick breaking clips you have on there. Why only two bricks? and why the cloth? Just seems to me since your out there selling video and medicine why aren't you smashing at least 6 bricks on your website? Your IP "Teacher" smashed through at least 10...might be 12 cant remember. NOT SCORED, NOT BAKED, NO SPACERS. That was IP and still is. Not saying you're a charloten or weak but put some more blocks up there man! As on my previous post I've seen strong guys with no training break three bricks. You can do it!
    When you bring your hand down, you cannot pull it...I seen you pull a little at the end....make your hand go to the floor.
    A real nice demo of breaking is on you tube. Type in sifumiller and you'll see him crack 6 standing with a chop...and he does some with his elbow too.
    I've personally seen Steve break but I dont remember if he was there when I broke or not. It sure is fun especially when you have an audience of your peers...it kind of stokes you up. It was used for ranking.
    Anyway, more bricks!
    SW
    I don't know what you are insinuating when you put "teacher" in quotation marks.
    As for seeing people break slabs without IP, everyone has, but how many have you seen break them with so little effort.

To me, that is the key, ( or chi if you prefer ), to break with a simple slap with almost no momentum, just be dropping your hand.
    See the video I posted in this thread of the Karate guy?
    That was a serious break, but you can see the amount of effort put into it, that is not IP in my humble view.

Sifu Millers break are superb, no gray area there, so are the break of the "mutant hand" IP guy from china on youtube.
    Coach Steve's breaks are very well done also, by the way.

Settle down there palsy. Dale, Steve and even Sifu Miller would know what I mean when I capatalize the word teacher and use parethesis.
    Sifu Millers breaks are what I was talking about...following through...not pulling, not even thinking about pulling!
    BTW I saw Steve and Sifu Miller break in person not on video.
    SW

Quote Originally Posted by stonewarrior67 View Post
    Settle down there palsy. Dale, Steve and even Sifu Miller would know what I mean when I capatalize the word teacher and use parethesis.
    Sifu Millers breaks are what I was talking about...following through...not pulling, not even thinking about pulling!
    BTW I saw Steve and Sifu Miller break in person not on video.
    SW
    I am settled
    Rooted actually, LOL !
    I didn't know what you meant, hence the question.
    Remember, this is a forum with more people in it than just a few that may know what you "mean".
    Thanks for clearing it up.

You are right, I used quotation marks not parethesis. Not finished with first cup o mud will do that to you.
    Rooted? Your probably frozen to the ground up there. I'm quite a bit south of you and we got hit with another short round of snow last night...I hate winter!