Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT The American Economy

OT The American Economy

Hello all

I rarely start off topic threads, but I want to know what everyone thinks about the American economy, the dollar (and its value), in both short and long terms. Do interest rates cuts = economic growth or do they just push down the value of the dollar? They say a weak dollar is good for exports, but how much of the American economy depends on exports? Don't most of our big corporations outsource manufacturing work overseas anyways? How does America stay competative with the emerging economies? A weak dollar is both a blessing and a curse to Europeans. Europeans have seen little fluctuation in gas prices, being most oil is traded in dollars the euro's strength keeps the prices the same. European exporters are suffering though.

All thoughts welcomed....

except stupid ones
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Hello all

I rarely start off topic threads, but I want to know what everyone thinks about the American economy, the dollar (and its value), in both short and long terms. Do interest rates cuts = economic growth or do they just push down the value of the dollar? They say a weak dollar is good for exports, but how much of the American economy depends on exports? Don't most of our big corporations outsource manufacturing work overseas anyways? How does America stay competative with the emerging economies? A weak dollar is both a blessing and a curse to Europeans. Europeans have seen little fluctuation in gas prices, being most oil is traded in dollars the euro's strength keeps the prices the same. European exporters are suffering though.

All thoughts welcomed....

except stupid ones
    I don't know about the rest of Europe, but gas in Germany is ridiculously expensive.

I think the economy will recover from the housing meltdown, but it'll take a while. This won't be solved in the next 4-6 years, that's for certain.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

We are in deep doo doo...and it will get much, much worse before it gets better.

watch Oil and Gold prices. Gold especially is the most accurate indicator of where the economy is, and is going. When Gold prices are high, the economy is bad.

the dollar is still ok.
    the South African Rand is around R8.00 per one $usd.

Gass is around R8.00 per litre (so about $1usd per litre).

Bare in mind, a loaf of bread cost around R7.50 and a 2L bottle of milk cost around R16.00.

What is an avarage basic salary (per month) for say a 30 somehting year old man doing office job, in the USA?
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    We are in deep doo doo...and it will get much, much worse before it gets better.

watch Oil and Gold prices. Gold especially is the most accurate indicator of where the economy is, and is going. When Gold prices are high, the economy is bad.

yeah, gold just reached 1,000 an oz.
    Bless you

high gold price is good for us

we get to sell you the gold
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    high gold price is good for us

we get to sell you the gold
    Well maybe we'll just invade you guys next, Mr. Smarty Pants!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

Don't fall for that trap.

The middleclass keeps getting richer, people are making more and more money, I am making more now than I ever did under slick willy.

The housing market sucks the dong, but a certain sect of housebuyers need to take PERSONAL responsibility for that mess, instead of trying to pass the buck.

still strong and growing in the 21st century.

it is still the motor/engine or dragon head of the world/global economy on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    Don't fall for that trap.

The middleclass keeps getting richer, people are making more and more money, I am making more now than I ever did under slick willy.

The housing market sucks the dong, but a certain sect of housebuyers need to take PERSONAL responsibility for that mess, instead of trying to pass the buck.

Not just housebuyers. Mortgage companies, banks, investment firms, the individuals only took what others were willing to give. My wife works directly with sub-prime collections. Half the time the people she's trying to collect from are in jail or deported (back) to Mexico. The banks screwed up in issuing these loans. I don't have perfect credit (mid 700's), but have never accumulated late charges or been turned to a collection agency or anything like that. When applying for an auto loan I was rejected (by one bank), and I'm certainly not "subprime". This bank was obviously doing it's work. I'm angry at the dealership because they submitted my loan info to more than one bank without telling us, and every inquiry into credit affects your score , but thats a whole other can of wax.

What does everyone see for the future of the dollar? The dollar is crucial in the global finance system. Could it ever be replaced by the Euro??? Some economies outside of the United States exclusively use the dollar (Panama certainly, El Salvador is beginning to use the dollar for everything), will they want to change?
    Bless you

Some economies outside of the United States exclusively use the dollar (Panama certainly, El Salvador is beginning to use the dollar for everything), will they want to change?

Reply]
    Interesting. I thought they used the Balboa?

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Some economies outside of the United States exclusively use the dollar (Panama certainly, El Salvador is beginning to use the dollar for everything), will they want to change?

Reply]
    Interesting. I thought they used the Balboa?
    So if their economy is having trouble, can you then say they have a Rocky Balboa? Can ya??? Ehhhhhhhh????
    ~ Mark Twain

~ Joe Lewis

~ Author unknown

IMHO

SAve them pennies.

Its going to be a hard 6 years. Yes, we are in a recession. Not quite a depression but I'm feeling depressed

Curb that spending.

Forclosures on the rise, Outsourcing of middle class blue collar labor overseas, China dumping mass amounts of cheap goods onto the world market, Gas prices will hit the $4 a gallon mark by September (my prediction)

If your going to be graduating from highschool, seriously think about technical schools.

bck to the ditch digging for me