Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Def Jam: Fight For New York meets The Ultimate Fighter?

Def Jam: Fight For New York meets The Ultimate Fighter?

BET is launching it's own fight show along the lines of TUF. Nelly, Ludachris, T.I. and Floyd Mayweather will all coach their respective stable of fighters in hopes of winning $100,000. I think it premiers tomorrow night.

EDIT:

http://publications.mediapost.com/in...&art_aid=78299
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

. . .

the hell?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Man, maybe I'll lose some street cred for saying this; but I really don't like this idea.
    Floyd has just been trying to get a piece of mma once he got to the top of the boxing world, looked around, and saw that the boxing king is no longer the bamfer on the planet.
    The hip hop guys have no business being there whatsoever and just seem to take every opportunity to attach their name to anything that will make them appear more hard.
    From the pictures I saw on the underground, it kinda looked like they bus in white cans to knock out.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

This thing is a Mongolian Cluster F-ck of the worst order. They did a "try out" in NY that was basicly people just beating the crap out of eachother while the guest rappers cheered them on. Not to mention holding MMA fights in NY state is illegal. Did I mention they didn't have enough people so they walked around the street asking random people if they wanted to fight? Subsequently they got kicked out of the NE and went to Atlanta I think.... real low class production, catering to the worst side of human nature
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Man, maybe I'll lose some street cred for saying this; but I really don't like this idea.
    Floyd has just been trying to get a piece of mma once he got to the top of the boxing world, looked around, and saw that the boxing king is no longer the bamfer on the planet.
    The hip hop guys have no business being there whatsoever and just seem to take every opportunity to attach their name to anything that will make them appear more hard.
    From the pictures I saw on the underground, it kinda looked like they bus in white cans to knock out.
    hip hop has pretty much always been tied to three things in some way - martial arts, gaming and art. It's just part of the culture. That's why I mentioned fight for new york in the thread title - rappers, fighting, gaming, etc. I don't really see anything wrong with them having their own team, but they need someone with experience coaching the fighters. I dunno how that's going to work.

Side note: I actually dunno if I am supposed to say this *shhhhh* but speaking of art, hip hop and fighting, I heard from a source that mark ecko is getting his hands around a fight team and also an mma clothing line.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Last weekend I went to Dillard's and saw racks of Tapout shirts.
    Jumped over to Spencer's to get my buddy a gag birthday gift and saw at least 4 varieties of mma board shorts (sprawl included).
    MMA's really gone mainstream.
    Admittedly, tellin people to get their hands off of mma doesn't make sense.

Part of it's that I don't see the point- Floyd was talking trash about mma fighters within the last 6 months and the other 2 guys neither promote shows nor associate themselves with any big names in the community.
    Where's their background in mma?
    Or is this all there is left to do now that dogfighting's been busted in Atlanta?

Hip hop's always been about martial arts, yes - capoeira in break dancing, wu tang and their kung fu, and the 52 blocks - but MMA really doesn't have a reputation as being an "innercity" thing.
    Yeah, you've got fighters who come off a bit thuggish: Rampage, Yves Edwards, and Crazy Horse; but it just hasn't been the main image of the sport - more universal than that.

Now, if this is an effort to grow interest in the inner-city so they have more representation in the sport; I don't have any problem with that- but dressing up like armed robbers/gangbangers and busing in cans so the crowd can cheer on white dudes getting ktfo'd? Is that the right way to go about it?

And mark ecko? sweet geebus. If he should really make that mistake, it will cause me to vomit any time I see those stupid shoes of his; preferably on the wearer.
    I mean, Tony Hawk doesn't swoop in and make a game about tagging or hold a contest to find the next great rapper to come out of the 'burbs, why don't more of these guys just stick to what they're good at?

EDIT: Fight for new york was more pro-wrestling than anything else.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 03-17-2008 at 02:32 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    This thing is a Mongolian Cluster F-ck of the worst order. They did a "try out" in NY that was basicly people just beating the crap out of eachother while the guest rappers cheered them on. Not to mention holding MMA fights in NY state is illegal. Did I mention they didn't have enough people so they walked around the street asking random people if they wanted to fight? Subsequently they got kicked out of the NE and went to Atlanta I think.... real low class production, catering to the worst side of human nature
    yeah, I heard one guy on the radio saying that he trains himself... I think it's safe to say they won't have the best quality fighters.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Hip hop's always been about martial arts, yes - capoeira in break dancing, wu tang and their kung fu, and the 52 blocks - but MMA really doesn't have a reputation as being an "innercity" thing.
    Yeah, you've got fighters who come off a bit thuggish: Rampage, Yves Edwards, and Crazy Horse; but it just hasn't been the main image of the sport - more universal than that.
    irascience from dilated peoples trains bjj. there are some others too. but no, boxing has always been more the inner city art.

EDIT: Fight for new york was more pro-wrestling than anything else.
    vendetta was pro wrestling. FFNY was fighting. you could use weapons from the background, and they had fighting styles - martial arts, kickboxing, street fighting and grappling.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    irascience from dilated peoples trains bjj. there are some others too. but no, boxing has always been more the inner city art.
    No doubt there are others. Dead Prez's "Way of Life" that theblacktaoist likes to use in some of his youtube clips is one of the best descriptions of training life bar none. To tell the truth though if Wutang, Irascience, or DP had put this show on, I doubt I'd be half as uncomfortable with it.

vendetta was pro wrestling. FFNY was fighting. you could use weapons from the background, and they had fighting styles - martial arts, kickboxing, street fighting and grappling.
    I stand corrected. Vendetta was the only one I'd seen, not FFNY.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

It seems I have been PWN3D:

Quote Originally Posted by Shonie Carter
    Hey if you didn't know already i was apart of the production of the show. News flash i was LIL John coach officially. Next subject, don't talk about demographic desparities please. Let's look at the facts on MMA in america. It has been marketed to middle class and upper class white americans, only recently has there been a slight marketing endeavor towards the hispanic/ latin culture. I must ask you the original audience has been the nascar/ roller derby/ prowrestling/ weekend suburban warrior fanatic anyway. So why is it an issue over a minority business group getting involved in the big business anyway? In my opinion and it is only my opinion, why not rappers involvement. There is already enough blonde haired blue eyed muscle heads from america involved. Is it to be assumed as I previously said many atime there is a growing fear of chocolate being swirled into the overdosed vanilla sky of MMA land?
    These are the very thougts I am speaking of, I have never in my life figured to be a part of anything negative. I look not at an athlete by the color of his skin with hatred or unapproval. I look at the content of his character only. I will be noted as saying I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally with predjudice. We as a people have to realize there are things bigger than ourselves. I have dedicated myself to a higher equation of athleticism for years. I probably have done so longer than most of the forum members here. I tell this let not an opinion of another be your decise on what is true on mma because the color of another man or woman's skin.
    Okay, so Mr International Shonie Carter's behind it, I feel relieved.

EDIT: more quotes
    Really I understand their point but it is flawed, yes arguementative fallacy in every aspect. I will further elaborate on this matter. First of all, did you ever take notice to the fact even the UFC shows celebrities at the the show and have them often comment? Secondly, you have to remember it is about putting butts in those seats. This is what a promoter cares about. The reality of the situation is I do this because I love it and there are many like myself who agree to practice putting themselves in harms way under a guideline of rules unlike our troops overseas. Who entertains them? The combative athlete does. There are those of us who started this sport before many of you even knew what it was, before it was sexy, before the cameras were rolling, before the big titties and the sponsorships opportunities became available to supplement training. You may remember many of the fighter because of trademark move or brand or haircut. Let me ask you this what do you really know about the business and the politics behind the closed doors and back door deals that actually happen as I have witnessed and know about personally?
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 03-18-2008 at 03:50 PM.

So . . .

It's a good idea to put what, at first blush, appears to be martially untrained, money-motivated, could-be athletes in a ring, have some rappers "coach" them, and call it "mixed martial arts?"

Yeah, I so don't see this putting the mixed martial arts in a worse light.

No sir.

Great idea.

Super.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

vash
    my point is that shonie carter's coaching things behind the scenes.
    that means at least someone's there that knows their stuff.
    Mr International's got awesome judo, fought in early UFCs, fought Cung Le in San Shou, was a contestant on TUF, and has been around the game a long time.
    I trust him a lot more in overseeing the coaching aspects of mma fighters than Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I watched the first shows last night. Each team's owners/coaches, decided their own methods for picking thier respective teams. So far there was only one team (that they aired) that held a sort of trial bye fire, a sort of MMA tournament to make the team, and that was T.I.'s team.
    The other coaches picked their teams based on a mix of some drills and training sets. (at least that's the way they showed it on BET), except for one hothead who was bitter that he wasn't picked at the NYC trials and wanted to fight for a spot on the roster, which they are going to show on the next episode.

A few of the teams have some coaches that are old school MA teachers/Sifus/Senseis that at least have a sense of training and actual fight experience whether karate full contact or MMA. A couple teams have seriously suspect "coaches". No disrespect to 'Crazy Horse' but he admittedly does not train for fights, so he may not make a very good coach. And then there was some other guy who is just a sort of street/thug fighter. I don't quite remember his name, and am too lazy to look it up now, but he was 40yrs old, and at one point said he trained in China and Japan, which I would bet $100.00 was a complete lie. This guy looks to be even a worse coach than 'Crazy Horse'. He may be a streetwise bad a@@ but he looks to know very little about ring fighting from what was aired.

In any case, I will continue to watch. As unsafe or unprofessional as it may have seemed, I am looking forward to the fights from the teasers they showed, and in a way, I'm expecting some of the celeb team owners that like to yip yap all day, to be embarrassed at some point for trying to posture too much at some point in front of guys that can be a bit intimidating without guns or fat a@@ body guards.
    I thought it was, and will be entertaining, and way more real in a way than TUF ever was.