Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Def Jam: Fight For New York meets The Ultimate Fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by brothernumber9 View Post
    The other coaches picked their teams based on a mix of some drills and training sets. (at least that's the way they showed it on BET)
    that may be all they did. A buddy of mine tried out for IFL, and he said all they were doing was pad drills and grappling drills - at least for that round of the tryouts. They cut him after that, so I dunno what else may have been involved.

I thought it was, and will be entertaining, and way more real in a way than TUF ever was.

yeah, that's what I am expecting.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

i don't got cable so i'll probably have to bittorrent this show.
    is mike easton really on there?
    that guy's a lloyd irvin prodigy (he and mike fowler are off the chain).
    i met him before and merryp used to train with the guy; not gonna say he's my favorite person or anything, but it'd be interesting to see how he does.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Anyone see the third episode? Lttle Jon/Mayweather's teams also did fights to vie for team spots. It also seems some of the hip hop guys' super hard attitudes have brushed some of the coaches the wrong way.

Crazy Horse called out every one of TI's guys and TI, and said he'd knock them all out, though it got deflated and they ended up getting back to business.

On the otherhand, Mayweather is not trying to listen to Shonie Carter, and even went as far to imply that he could woop Carter. Talk about a pompous a$$. Mayweather is on a fast track to self destruction, if he doesn't get destroyed first by someone who actualy fights outside the limits of boxing.

A few people got knocked out and once some of the dust settles between the celebrities, the focus will hopefully turn to the fighters more.

lookin forward to it.
    '

Hasn't anyone pointed out yet that Shifu Novell Bell is coacing team Dipset,

Here is a real gung fu man coaching an MMA team on national TV, seems like a huge oppoturnity for TCMA

Although a bunch of people are probbly about to tell me I'm wrong....

Episode 1
    http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/200...isode-1-video/

cheers,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Quote Originally Posted by Satori Science View Post
    Hasn't anyone pointed out yet that Shifu Novell Bell is coacing team Dipset,

Here is a real gung fu man coaching an MMA team on national TV, seems like a huge oppoturnity for TCMA

Although a bunch of people are probbly about to tell me I'm wrong....

Episode 1

cheers,

Nobody told me about this, dang... i gotta bittorrent the show now :-P
    I have no cable so i got no other way to watch it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Nobody told me about this, dang... i gotta bittorrent the show now :-P
    I have no cable so i got no other way to watch it.
    I put the link to the video in my last post,

Episode 1

BT's promo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRCpfjJjwnI
    Last edited by Satori Science; 03-26-2008 at 02:05 PM. Reason: add
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Man, maybe I'll lose some street cred for saying this; but I really don't like this idea.
    Floyd has just been trying to get a piece of mma once he got to the top of the boxing world, looked around, and saw that the boxing king is no longer the bamfer on the planet.
    The hip hop guys have no business being there whatsoever and just seem to take every opportunity to attach their name to anything that will make them appear more hard.From the pictures I saw on the underground, it kinda looked like they bus in white cans to knock out.
    The bolded part seems to be pretty much it. It's about being from the streets and being gangsta...no naturally showing you can fight or that you're about fighting is going to help that cause.

I also don't think that just because some hip hop artists may enjoy martial arts as a pasttime that hip hop needs to be "connected" to it. Hell...there's country stars, rock stars, comedians, and all sorts of other celebrities that like martial arts. Only genre that's trying to attach itself it the hip hop scene...but again it's for obvious reasons. It goes hand-in-hand with social deliquency. Just when MMA was getting a better image. How does dressing up like you're going to rob a convienence store have anything to do with the sport?

Bad joo joo all around.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

anther side of the story

Its clearly a marketing ploy, but its TV. CLEARLY its a marketing ploy, ya know. It is BET after all

I was just stoked to see a reality TV show that looked differnt, that was trying to break new groud and create new format ya know, one that didn't premises itself on a mansion full of white people

There was a quote, from one on the MCs from Harlem ware he out and out said

"I'm not checking for fighters from Harlem or from "the hood" or ware I'm from, I'm looking for the best fighters"

In any event I liked the gritty look, and the coaches are very diverse and represent a core of different accomplished African American fighters.

But then its just my take,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

so let me get this straight...
    alexis aquino gets ticked that he doesn't get considered for the show, which claims to be all about "the best fighters", eventhough he's got an undefeated pro-mma record....
    he confronts the coaches/selection people...
    they tell him on camera if he wins the fight, he'll earn his spot on the team...
    he fights the fight & dominates the guy they want him to beat...
    the coaches are so mad with egg on their face that they talk trash about him and boot him from the show (and the chance at $100K) anyway?

shadiness...
    possible lawsuit...

sad thing is, with all the lloyd irvin shirts on there, i'm constantly looking for folks i know in the background. lol

yah I'll probably still bit torrent this; but it really is a train wreck.

so let me get this straight...
    alexis aquino gets ticked that he doesn't get considered for the show, which claims to be all about "the best fighters", eventhough he's got an undefeated pro-mma record....
    he confronts the coaches/selection people...
    they tell him on camera if he wins the fight, he'll earn his spot on the team...
    he fights the fight & dominates the guy they want him to beat...
    the coaches are so mad with egg on their face that they talk trash about him and boot him from the show (and the chance at $100K) anyway?

shadiness...
    possible lawsuit...
    Fair enough,
    I know the scene your talking about but clearly missed some of the subtext,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

BT sets the record straight...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03riLnjZNNo

Sifu Novell is not happy it would seem,
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com

Last weekend I went to Dillard's and saw racks of Tapout shirts.
    Jumped over to Spencer's to get my buddy a gag birthday gift and saw at least 4 varieties of mma board shorts (sprawl included).
    MMA's really gone mainstream.
    Admittedly, tellin people to get their hands off of mma doesn't make sense.

Part of it's that I don't see the point- Floyd was talking trash about mma fighters within the last 6 months and the other 2 guys neither promote shows nor associate themselves with any big names in the community.
    Where's their background in mma?
    Or is this all there is left to do now that dogfighting's been busted in Atlanta?

Hip hop's always been about martial arts, yes - capoeira in break dancing, wu tang and their kung fu, and the 52 blocks - but MMA really doesn't have a reputation as being an "innercity" thing.
    bjj and muay thai come from some of he most gangsterist **** holes on earth...

Quote Originally Posted by diego View Post
    bjj and muay thai come from some of he most gangsterist **** holes on earth...
    ghettos in Brazil and Thailand are a lot different than here in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by jackmcmanus21 View Post
    ghettos in Brazil and Thailand are a lot different than here in the USA.
    kids in north america pick up fighting skills from relatives who spent a lot of time in the feds...street kids in brazil fighting on beaches and street kids in thailand stabbing each other in alleys is not much differant than american drug dealer kids fighting in arcades...the climate is ripe for champion talent.

Natural talent is natural talent, it will be there regardless of whether someone is ghetto/gansta/from da streets. None of that means shiet.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."