Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I get a Combat or Good Quality Monk's Spade?

Where can I get a Combat or Good Quality Monk's Spade?

I wanted to know if anyone knows where i might find a carbon steel(not necessary combat ready) or high quailty
    Monks' spade. I am debating the ones offered on Wle---this one in particular--http://www.wle.com/products/W066-T.html#3883
    but I really want something amazing. I can spend up 400 dollars so If I can find a place that sells a combat or carbon steel one that would be sweet or even just a robust one that does not have a chrome plated head/cresent moon. I wish Brenden Lai's Supplies had a descent website because my Sifu said I should check there. I live in Phoenix AZ though, so I cant exactly go to their store.

Dude, go to Home Depot and buy a normal spade for 20$. Nothing more traditional than a real farming implement as a weapon!
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by No_SuRReNDeR View Post
    I wanted to know if anyone knows where i might find a carbon steel(not necessary combat ready) or high quailty
    Monks' spade. I am debating the ones offered on Wle---this one in particular--http://www.wle.com/products/W066-T.html#3883
    but I really want something amazing. I can spend up 400 dollars so If I can find a place that sells a combat or carbon steel one that would be sweet or even just a robust one that does not have a chrome plated head/cresent moon. I wish Brenden Lai's Supplies had a descent website because my Sifu said I should check there. I live in Phoenix AZ though, so I cant exactly go to their store.
    What I would do is find that stores phone number, or email address, and perhaps talk to them their. See what they can offer you. If you teacher approves of their merchandice, and they carry what you are looking for, they will probably ship to you. Of course you have to take their word that the quality is good, but luckly your teacher can vouch for their services.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Oh snap!

Unfortunately, the combat steel monk spade is out of stock.

SHAME ON YOU GENE!!

Hmmmmm

Thanks guys but I have been on most of the major martial arts supply shops I know as far as what is available online....ie

Kungfu direct, Martial arts mart, Wing Lam, etc..... All of the ones they sell look cheap....the only combat ones I can find are these http://www.wle.com/products/W066-C.htmland they look really generic or the ones made by Tiger claw and lets just say i don't care for their products...http://www.amazon.com/Long-Weapon-Sp.../dp/B0000C87VE ....plus it seems like allot of these places are all out of stock on monks' spades too.....What, did all the wushu/kungfu guys watch 36th Chamber of Shaolin last week or something? .....Anyways yeah I guess I could be less of a lazy bum and call Brenden Lai's I think his wife runs the place since his passing in'02 i believe. It's out in San Francisco I believe.

Actually you know the Home Depot idea isn't half bad really....I mean in the respect that I could make my own or have one custom made at a forge of some kind.....That would be sweet to have a one of a kind piece custom made....still I'd rather just buy one since I'm dying to start learning the forms...Sifu will let me use his but still I'd still rather have my own.

i see someone is preparing for the zombopocalypse
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I know that WLE makes customized weapons. I've handled one of their kwando's and it was a real treat. Weighted perfectly.

So making a monk spade shouldn't be that difficult. there are some really nice blades I've seen that are larger then the commericaly offered ones.

Since I learned to work with metal from a classmate of mine I've made all of my long weapons. the most fun was the Wolf Teeth Mace. My wife seriously thought I was insane with that one.

Basically I use 1/4 Plate Steel and simply welded to a solid smooth rebar I got from a construction supply company. The blood guards I used Oversized unfinished washers (I stacked 3 different sizes to get a nice sound).

After welding and smoothing I took it to a chrome shop. It fits perfectly into the tub they dip car bumpers into.

In the end it cost me a total of $250. So if you have someone else do it for you I could see them doing it for $400.

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    i see someone is preparing for the zombopocalypse
    storm's a comin'
    hope you're ready...
    Just a Disciple, No One Special

Aghh

I know about the zombie guide --lol

The monk's spade (under the name "Shaolin spade") was listed in Max Brooks' The Zombie Survival Guide as a highly effective hand-to-hand anti-zombie weapon, as it can decapitate a rotting corpse with ease and its length allows users to engage opponents at a distance. It is good for this purpose because you can attack the zombie from both sides of the spade. -----yeah still I think Id rather have something like cold steels Chinese war sword if the dead were walking the earth...http://images.coldsteel-knives.com/L..._War_Sword.jpg

Clearly this illustrates the need for practical combat ready monk spades....just in case the dead DO come back to life..

China imports have been troublesome lately

Next week, two reps from our company are going to China to straighten some things out. So right now, we are out of stock on Dragon Well Monk Spades, but hopefully we'll get the new shipment in very soon.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Next week, two reps from our company are going to China to straighten some things out. So right now, we are out of stock on Dragon Well Monk Spades, but hopefully we'll get the new shipment in very soon.
    actually, u guys are out on a few weapons.
    hope u get a good re-stocking soon...

yes, we know

That's why we're sending some people to China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That's why we're sending some people to China.
    can u bring back some lead-free products?
    or is it illegal to export products not containing lead?

Last edited by onehawaiian; 03-19-2008 at 10:22 PM.

I wonder...

I came across these AMAZING custom made Chinese swords and one day I will own
    1 or 2 or 3 ok DARN IT I want them all lets be real...darn it I can't stop drooling for some reason....FuShou Jian drip....drool......oh yeah that's why I'm drooling.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/Jian%20...Collection.htm

But anyhow my point is ---maybe they can make a custom monk spade for me......That would pwn all monk spades before it..

Has anyone every had a weapon made by these guys?