Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Other Immigration Issue in the United States

The Other Immigration Issue in the United States

Okay, this is not an "Illegal Immigration" thread!

America's other immigration issue.

The Universities of the United States are world class learning facilities that attract some of the best minds from around the world. Students travel here to learn medicine, engineering, and all other academic disciplines. Often foreign scholars travel to the United States on student visas to learn at our world class Universities. They come here and attain a great education that will enable them to build a better future for themselves.

The problem is that they create that better future for themselves in other places, because many have difficulty obtaining work visas. We (Americans) give these bright minds the best training in the world then they are no longer welcomed. Often these (would be) immigrants desire to stay in the United States to work, to do research, or to teach. They could be contributing their skills to American companies, informing our citizens, and at the same time not contributing to our increasing global competition. Many people do desire to return to their home country, which is their choice. But many desire to stay, and enjoy American salries (and therefore pay taxes).

Canada's Immigration system makes it easier for people who attain higher education degrees in Canada to work and get on the way to Canadian citizenship. Canada realizes the value these educated immigrants can contribute to every aspect of the Canadian economy.

Why is this?

Is this spillover from the anti-illegal immigration mentality?

Are we more xenophobic as a nation?

Am I plain wrong and crazy?

Let me know what you all think!
    Bless you

dont know bout people coming over there

but there are SO MANY american students over here its insane i cant go anywhere in london without hearing an american accent at least once every ten minutes

maybe the real problem is all your talent is coming here XD
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

It all really depends on where your situated, or living. Personally living in the Northeast I know plenty of immigrants who go to school here, mainly people who have just immigrated from China, or Japan at my college, also I have a good friend from Moldova who is in the same classes with me.

It kinda works all ways though, having immigrants as family (Nicaragua) they think the exact opposite of what you just posted Bodhi, even immigrating to Nicaragua takes quite some time living there on a work Visa for a while then they consider you for citizenship.
    Amituofo~

I'm not saying we should make it easier to get citizenship, I'm saying we should make it easier for people educated here to work here when they're finished with their education.
    Bless you

The manufacturing industry is in trouble as it in in N America because of cheap labour overseas, if the US doesn't keep the "service" sector in house and they go back "where they came from", what is stopping the service sector from getting into trouble here too?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

america doesn't need doctors as much as darfur need s astable society of which doctors are a part.

If all the mental talent taht was educated in the west, stayed in the west and didn't disperse to other nations, if we as nations did not share our knowledge with other nations and their peoples then the value of the knowledge is diminished and becomes a tool of control and therefor even more corruptable.

what needs to happen is exactly what is happening. You want peple to return to india and become doctors there who are equipped with the knowledge of the west to go in tandem with what they have to deal with their.

We want electronics people and engineers to be going back to third world and developing countries to help raise those countries up.

we want to do this because we are all sick of looking at photographs of starving children in time magazine.

wealth is useless in any aspect be it money or knowledge if you cannot share it with those that need it most. Graft and avarice are short lived pursuits of self interest and do no one any good at all least of all the person who is behaving in such a manner or for that matter, a state which behaves that way.

as it is above, so it is below.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    america doesn't need doctors as much as darfur need s astable society of which doctors are a part.

If all the mental talent taht was educated in the west, stayed in the west and didn't disperse to other nations, if we as nations did not share our knowledge with other nations and their peoples then the value of the knowledge is diminished and becomes a tool of control and therefor even more corruptable.

what needs to happen is exactly what is happening. You want peple to return to india and become doctors there who are equipped with the knowledge of the west to go in tandem with what they have to deal with their.

We want electronics people and engineers to be going back to third world and developing countries to help raise those countries up.

we want to do this because we are all sick of looking at photographs of starving children in time magazine.

wealth is useless in any aspect be it money or knowledge if you cannot share it with those that need it most. Graft and avarice are short lived pursuits of self interest and do no one any good at all least of all the person who is behaving in such a manner or for that matter, a state which behaves that way.

as it is above, so it is below.
    Most of the immigrants I'm talking about are not from places like Darfur, moreso from places like China, India, and Korea. All our competators, who have their own educated people.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    Most of the immigrants I'm talking about are not from places like Darfur, moreso from places like China, India, and Korea. All our competators, who have their own educated people.
    I guess I always thought exchange students were to go and learn in another country then take thier broadened minds back to thier own homes... to help keep a handle on the growing "bash what ever country for not being like me" metality that is taking over pretty much every educated country. Morons like GA like to bash America. Then you got French bashing, Canadian bashing, Cuban bashing.... It goes on and on. The only way to get rid of it is to encourage the young minds to explore other cultures then take real first hand knowledge of those cultures back to thier homes. With understand, tolerance becomes more likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I guess I always thought exchange students were to go and learn in another country then take thier broadened minds back to thier own homes... to help keep a handle on the growing "bash what ever country for not being like me" metality that is taking over pretty much every educated country. Morons like GA like to bash America. Then you got French bashing, Canadian bashing, Cuban bashing.... It goes on and on. The only way to get rid of it is to encourage the young minds to explore other cultures then take real first hand knowledge of those cultures back to thier homes. With understand, tolerance becomes more likely.

I work in a large university, I'm also a graduate student. Many students want to stay and work in the United States. If a student want to leave when they finish their education, by all means, return, live long and prosper, but, we could have great technical/medical/whatever minds here, that want to be here, advancing our research and technology, and contributing to our economy, rather than doing the same somewhere else.

As for GA, he's young (and immature in some ways). He'll grow out of his stupidity (if he's lucky).
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    competitors should not be denied education.

what should be done is that we should be more competitive ourselves and play on the same field.

education, art, business etc are separate entities and should work with each other but be independent disciplines.

It is our governments duty to look after our trade agreements via tariffs, fees, embargos, agreements, treaties and so on.

we do not need to base this on what a brain drain does.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

what should be done is that we should be more competitive ourselves and play on the same field.

education, art, business etc are separate entities and should work with each other but be independent disciplines.

It is our governments duty to look after our trade agreements via tariffs, fees, embargos, agreements, treaties and so on.

Did I say ANYTHING about ANYONE being denied and education? I simply said the United States current policy makes it difficult for people who study here, and want to work here when they finish, to do so. Please read entirely and don't put words/concepts in my mouth.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 03-19-2008 at 12:50 PM.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    I guess I always thought exchange students were to go and learn in another country then take thier broadened minds back to thier own homes... to help keep a handle on the growing "bash what ever country for not being like me" metality that is taking over pretty much every educated country.
    Do you know any kids looking to be exchange students to some place like, oh, say, Mexico?

Then you got French bashing, Canadian bashing, Cuban bashing....
    I tend to post "tease"/"humorous"-type stuff about them.... except I don't believe I've ever found anything at all humorous about Cuba.

It goes on and on. The only way to get rid of it is to encourage the young minds to explore other cultures then take real first hand knowledge of those cultures back to thier homes. With understand, tolerance becomes more likely.
    But.... what happens when you "really understand them" from that "first hand knowledge" and it turns out that the very "best" thing to do with them is wipe them off the face of the planet?

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post

But.... what happens when you "really understand them" from that "first hand knowledge" and it turns out that the very "best" thing to do with them is wipe them off the face of the planet?
    You haven't travelled to too many nice places, have you?
    Bless you

Strange, that's what they say about us...

Tariffs and embargos to nothing positive in the world market of today, they just create situations that come back to bite us on our butt or create animosity.