Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tura Satana

RIP Tura Satana

A day to mourn.

Her official website.

Tura Satana, Actress With a Cult Following, Is Dead
    By DAVE ITZKOFF
    Published: February 7, 2011

The cause was believed to be heart failure, her longtime manager, Siouxzan Perry, said. She said Ms. Satana was 72, though other sources listed her birth date as July 10, 1935, which would have made her 75.

Born Tura Luna Pascual Yamaguchi on the Japanese island of Hokkaido to a father of Japanese and Filipino descent and a mother who was Cheyenne Indian and Scots-Irish, Ms. Satana spent part of her childhood in the World War II Manzanar internment camp for Japanese-Americans in California before her family settled in Chicago.

Her Asian background and appearance and the fact that her physique developed early led to frequent harassment and assaults, and she lived an itinerant life, working as an exotic dancer and nude model.

After playing a supporting part in the 1963 Billy Wilder comedy “Irma la Douce,” Ms. Satana found her breakthrough role in “Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill!,” a Meyer exploitation film that, in stark opposition to the director’s later works, featured no nudity. In the film she played Varla, the leader of a gang of go-go dancers who kidnap a couple, murder the boy and force the girl to follow them on further lawless adventures.

Ms. Satana’s portrayal of Varla as a brazenly violent but unapologetically feminine woman who frequently upbraids the men who dare to ogle her — when a gas-station attendant tells her he believes in “seeing America first,” Varla replies, “You won’t find it down there, Columbus!” — earned her a cult following that endured long after the drive-in era.

During the 1960s, Ms. Satana appeared on television shows like “Burke’s Law” and “The Man from U.N.C.L.E.” She also acted in “The Doll Squad” and “The Astro-Zombies,” both by the B-movie director Ted V. Mikels. More recently, Ms. Satana was featured in the 2002 film “Mark of the Astro-Zombies,” also directed by Mr. Mikels.

In recent decades, the influence of Ms. Satana’s no-nonsense attitude could be seen in pop-cultural artifacts ranging from “Xena, Warrior Princess” to Quentin Tarantino’s “Kill Bill” movies.

Ms. Satana is survived by two daughters, Kalani and Jade, and two sisters, Pamela and Kim, Ms. Perry said.

In an interview with The San Francisco Bay Guardian, Ms. Satana explained that her performance in “Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill!” was convincing because she was essentially playing herself.

“I was getting rid of a lot of anger!” she said. “A lot of things when I was growing up and as young girl — that anger I kept inside of me all those years — I think I finally let it loose.”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A friend just forwarded me a Varla quote that I must post here

"I never TRY anything. I just DO it. Like I don't beat clocks, just people...Wanna try me?"- Varla

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

OMG...I remember her! I saw “Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill!" a few years ago at an outdoor flim showing. Weird yet fascinating flick...
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

This is weird,

This lady popped into my head this past weekend. I was wondering what she was up to.

mickey

Nice cleavage !
    I give it a good 3/4 erection
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Tura

I added Tura to our Celebrities studying martial arts thread. She was one of a kind, way ahead of her time, a real pioneer for Asian women in cinema.

I saw Faster *****cat Kill! Kill! at a special showing where Russ Meyer spoke. If you haven't seen it, you must. It's outrageously campy for '65 and shows both Meyer's and Tura's genius.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

seeeeexy.....
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-08-2011 at 01:29 PM.

You should look so good at 70, Syn7

After what she's been through, it's amazing she lived that long, actually.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

you know what, i dont usually criticize people for aging, and i'll be the first to admit that more mature women have a quality that women like 40 and under just dont have... but i dont feel she aged well at all... im lucky tho, most of my fam live into their 90's... i was born in the seventies and i still get ID'd all the time when i have a fresh shave on and am wearing more youthful type clothing... when i hit the club im all BBoy, so between the young face and the clothes im carded forsure... and to be quite honest, im usually the oldest one there who can still rock air flares and spin on my head indefinately... most of the ol skoolers stick to uprock and funkstyles... where actual dance skill takes precedence over acrobatic prowess....

anyways, i dont feel shes aged well... esspecially since she looked so good before... i will not be an appologist for people that get fat in later years, thats on them... ive worked my ass off to stay in shape... we all get what we deserve in that respect... even with injuries... she made her choices...

im sure shes a cool person, i just find her to be very repulsive in that pic... i was suprised when i saw it, i guess i assumed shed be a loose skin version of her former self like alot of older beauty types are... was it the car accident that gave her the weight???
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Forgive her her sins, Syn 7

Tura was a victim of racism, the Japanese internment, abuse and rape (she talks about her gang rape in the interview I posted on the celeb thread above). She surely had her demons. She often said she had a lot of pent-up anger which led to her portrayal of Varla. That's what makes Varla such an amazing character, especially for '65. After Varla, Tura became a cult icon, but just because you are such, doesn't mean that life comes easy from there on out. I think I admired her more for what she represented than what she really was or what she became. She turned around a horrible childhood of oppression and became a statement for a generation.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

who am i to forgive her... i know her story... life aint fair...

you know for all the bad that happened, alot of good happened too... she even turned down elvis' proposal for marriage... she kept that ring tho lol... she also went thru an absolute sh1tload of money in her life too... she was making 1500 a week as a dancer when most famillies lived off next to nothing... thats in the 50's, you know what 1500 a month meant in the 50's gene??? she had some hard times, alot of people have, but most never get to have the charmd life aswell... i would hardly classify her life as one of always being a victim... i know people who have been thru as much and worse and they would never use it as an excuse for anything.... if anything they use it as a source of strength, they will not let it defeat them...

im not hating her thang, just the way she looked in that pic...

you dont have to lie to kick it bro. we all know you think that pic is hot

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I wasn't *really* asking you to forgive her

I was really just going for that "her her sins, Syn" line. It's a writer thing.

The last thing Tura would need would be your forgiveness.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ja... i know...

ironically, the name syn7 has absolutely nothing with the seven deadly sins... kind of an easy one tho, doncha think??? i can appreciate wordplay tho, esspecially with the right music behind it...

I always figured it was chemical, Syn 7

Then I did a quick web search and look what I found.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips