Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zheng Gu Shui

Question Zheng Gu Shui

I would like to know what you all use for bone soreness after conditioning. I would prefer to get something over the counter made by a reputable company, my sifu recommended Zheng Gu Shui, but I was wondering if anyone recommends something better.

Thanks for any help,

take care,

Mantis

I was told to be careful if your girl is preganant -- it can cause a miscarriage.

I don;t know if this is true or not, but better safe than sorry

Pregnancy

EvolutionFist - I have heard the same thing from a reliable source. Something to do with the blood flow I think?

Gee. I guess I'm in the minority. I think the contributions of most of the people on here are useful in some way or other, and I think it's a decent place to toss out ideas and see what happens.

I don't think most of the people here aren't serious at all. I think that a good deal of the people are at least fairly serious. In fact, I think it's a pretty good forum with some good people who have some good ideas. Sure, it's not all Kung Fu, but that doesn't seem to be the point of the general forum anyhow.

zheng gu shui

I used to rub it on my shins after conditioning and sparring a few years back. I thought that it worked rather well, it went deeper than any of the other Chinese liniments I have tried.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

Talking Another reason for anonymity

Its kinda late in the thread, but I hadn't paid it any attention...

In a masturbatory frenzy in my teenage years I punched the clown with a fist full o'Ben Gay. It was fine right up until the end (3 min or so ) and then I began to receive mixed messages.

Took forever to wear off.

Stupidity - the number one sexually transmitted disease.

Zheng Gu Shui

This question is for the Herbalists out there.

Is this stuff, Zheng Gu Shui, the same as Dit Da Jow?

Thanks,

Steve

Zheng Gu Sui is not very strong.

Its a kind of liniment but its more a wash with lots of cinnamon and heating herbs to help rid swelling and help pain.

Its very weak compared to homemade dit da jow and i would not recommend it unless that is the only thing you have access to.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Zheng Gu Shui transliterates to "correct bone water" - it is a traditional bonesetter's liniment. While not as strong as Dit Da Jow, it is effective for acute injuries to joints and bony areas. It stops pain effectively (like within moments after applying).

I wouldn't be so quick to discount the Zheng Gu Shui...

It's not as great for treating old injuries or deep bruises, etc. For that, you definitely would benefit from a proper jow.

peace

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Zheng Gu Sui is not very strong.

Its a kind of liniment but its more a wash with lots of cinnamon and heating herbs to help rid swelling and help pain.

Its very weak compared to homemade dit da jow and i would not recommend it unless that is the only thing you have access to.
    Well you know that's not all I have access to. I was interested in it because of the price. Although, I thought it was just a "watered down" jow.

Herb Ox, that's a very interesting post. It seems as though you're saying that it's basically something to use on the night some soreness occurs?? This way it doesn't turn into a bruise or injured joint.

Thanks for the replies,

Steve

It really boils down to personal preference. The ingredients include herbs to invigorate blood and promote healing of bone. It's actually a cooling formula given the amount of camphor and menthol used. The king herbs, san qi and hu zhang are warm and cold, respectively. The Gui Zhi, which is spicy and warm is meant to harmonize the formula and open the collaterals of the meridians.

I tend to use ZGS right after a gnarly kick to the shin or if I bang my elbow or sprain my wrist... that kind of stuff.... when it feels like my bone got bruised

The cooling nature of the liniment takes away the hot feeling of these acute injuries and really does stop pain fast. Best part is, it's fairly readily available and usually pretty inexpensive. Good criteria for the 'people's medicine'.

best regards

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamp View Post
    Is this stuff, Zheng Gu Shui, the same as Dit Da Jow?
    My opinion, it really boils down to semantics. If a liniment is produced with alcohol, and it used to heal injury, then there is justification to call it "dit da jow". To be honest, I dont think its too important what we call it...Some of the MMA gyms I sell to prefer to call the liniments bruise juice, and I kinda like that better! =)

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    It really boils down to personal preference. The ingredients include herbs to invigorate blood and promote healing of bone. It's actually a cooling formula given the amount of camphor and menthol used. The king herbs, san qi and hu zhang are warm and cold, respectively. The Gui Zhi, which is spicy and warm is meant to harmonize the formula and open the collaterals of the meridians.
    My experience with Camphor is that its actually very warming. And while I hear many people say Camphor is cooling, a quick look in a number of Materia Medicas claim it to be "hot", not just warm.

Gui Zhi, while important, is fairly mild in action.

Herb Ox, I tend to agree with you, there is a time and a place for everything, including ZGS. Its not a strong liniment by any stretch, but its not really meant to be--You would treat a headache with Morphine.

Isnt ZGS produced with isopropyl alcohol? That is not ok with me.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 03-20-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Zheng Gu Shui

I would tend to use it more for Damp-Cold Bi and for old bone bruises that are slow to heal.

Best,

Steve

Greetings,

When Zheng Gu Shui first came out, it was a very traditional concoction that had well over 20 different ingredients in it. It was so strong (and I mean STRONG) that people also used it for iron palm practice.

I used it to treat a wrist injury and it worked well.

I have noticed that when I comes to patent medicines, it is best to buy the first couple of batches. The product cheapens in quality soon therafter. Zheng Gu Shui is no where near to what it used to be.

mickey

I use ZGS usually just for sore muscles on day after type stuff, in a nice hot shower.

I stick to home made stuff for injuries.