Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Training in The 'Peg

1 May 2008
    Weight :177.2

BJJ
    Worked a flying armbar and some escapes from this. Then an armbar from guard when a dude is trying to stand up. Fun stuff.
    Then rolled for a bit with the instructor and he showed me a ton of stuff to start incorporating.

Conditioning...biked home and then did 5 rounds of
    20 Clean and Jerk 56pd kettlebell
    20 Hindu Pushups
    20 1-Leg Deck Squats
    Took about 28 minutes and was tiring as all hell but good for overall systemic fatigue.
    A unique snowflake

2 May 2008
    Weight: 177

No training.
    Showed up but coach was organizing some stuff for a fight night on Saturday. I may look into one of these for August. That said, I'm going to increase my pad rounds to 4 min starting next week and then 5 min for the following month or so. MMA rounds are waaaaay longer! Going to really start working the wrestling on Saturday's as well.
    A unique snowflake

3 May 2008
    Weight: 176

SanDa
    Began with some clinching and tossed in a new throw for the guys. Then we did about 4 rounds of 2min just clinch sparring. Nothing too big, just really working the defense. Also did a series of several minutes working the double leg and the sprawl.

Sparring
    I did about 4 rounds with the guys. One round played ***** and circled endlessly while throwing the odd shot. The other guy didn't like that.
    Had some good techniques, my legs are going strong but I need to pick up the hands. Double leg is going well as well. Seems to be the only throw I actively use and succeed at in sparring.

Then did 3X3min of pads and a finisher involving bear crawls and lots of jumps and pushups. It was awesome.
    A unique snowflake

Cinco de mayo
    Weight: 178.2 Chunked out on a pile of cheesecake and pork something or another last night.

BJJ
    Apparently Monday is no-gi...which I prefer. Worked on passing the guard and some leg circling stuff...more and more this stuff reminds me of good kung fu!
    Then rolled with the instructor for about 20min straight. Thank god for my cardio...the other guy was interchanging with me but was tired and sore so I got all the fun. The instructor could easily tune me but was giving me enough resistance and also guiding me along and then every now and then he would choke me or arm bar me or whatever me to submission.
    Good fun.

Kettlebell right afterward when I got home
    TGU: 3X3 with 56pder.

Then a circuit of
    5 Clean and Jerk each arm
    5 Snatch each arm
    5 High Pull each arm
    5 Swings each arm
    5 times through for time with the 56pder. Took about 12-13 min. My heart was going hard!
    A unique snowflake

Cinco de mayo cont.

In the evening I did:
    5X3min shadowboxing
    First round hands, 2nd feet, the rest were mixing it up. I like the idea of doing a lot of this to refine all your skills. Been finding myself pulling some techniques out of sets I don't normally practice. Some more stuff to drill in sparring: solutions to different problems I encounter.
    Iron Rings: been at least two months for this, I think. It felt great. This one's a gem!

Didn't break any rings.

Saw Ironman. Freaking awesome. Some friends started calling me iron man after sparring one time...
    A unique snowflake

6 May 2008
    Weight: 176.4

BJJ
    Learned some guard passing defense/offense. Learned an armbar from half-guard and then rolled with another white belt, slightly smaller but pretty squeamish and strong. Almost had him a couple times in a collar choke but he held on and gassed about halfway through.
    Thank god for kettlebells and crossfit. My cardio is not an issue.

San Da

Warmed up with some jogging, joint mobility, we did some hurdle jumping and some bear crawl obstacle course stuff.
    Shadowboxing2X3min with hands one round and legs the next.

Sparred just hands with one guy for 2X3min rounds...really worked on my defense and not backing, circling away. That felt great to put more faith in my skills and really try new things.

Bas Rutten Thai Boxing on the pads: 3X3Min rounds. Fun stuff.

Iron body conditioning and some abs.
    Then our bear crawl death workout (tm).

Then drills for countering off kicks and hooking punches.
    Finished with some 50/50 clinch stuff and worked on defenses to some throws.
    A unique snowflake

7 May 2008

Nada.

Did about 45 min of yoga, mobility, and stretching stuff. Felt pretty awesome. I'm actually seeing a bit of an increase in my hamstring flexibility this past while.
    Used to be really into yoga, probably the first physical thing I got into after my wasted teenage years, I'm probably going to be a lot more of it for corrective postural stuff and general mobility.
    A unique snowflake

8 May 2008
    Weight: 175

BJJ
    Learned anaconda choke and another variation of a choke when the dude is in the turtle position. Also did the same choke from guard and moving with some crazy flipping, rolling stuff.
    Sparred with a little guy who got the same **** choke on me again. Then went with the teacher for quite some time. Apparently I'm the only person with a gas tank so I get the joy of him messing with me at the end of class.

Kettlebell
    TGU 3X3 with 56er
    Then 3 rounds of:
    5 CnJ each arm
    5 Snatch
    5 High Pull
    5 Swing
    Time: 6:30
    Was going to do 5 but my left shoulder is kind of sore and weird feeling.
    Finished with 50 double handed above the head swings.

I'm thinking next Kettlebell workout is going to be 5 CnJ each hand followed by 10 over the head double handed swings...for 10 sets!
    A unique snowflake

9 May 2008
    Weight: Missed the scale this morning. Probably 176 though.

BJJ
    Just me today. Worked on some counters to standup with take-downs.
    Then rolled with the instructor for about 30-40 min. That was fun!

San Da
    Immediately after I held the pads for one of my guys for 5X3min rounds
    Then I did 4X4min rounds.
    Good times!
    Sweated out all those burritos from last night!
    A unique snowflake

10 May 2008
    Weight: 177.2

San Da

Started out with some pummeling for position, worked a go behind simple drop takedown that my guy with a messed up back can do. He liked it a lot.
    Then we did some leg catch techniques and takedowns.
    Sparred for three rounds. Nothing too big, just working on some variations of things and mixing up the footwork/attack angles.

2X3min skipping
    2X3min shadowboxing
    1X4min heavybag
    Abs: a bunch of leg raises and other stuff.

Gung Lik Kuen
    Seeing as it was just the two of us today, we decided to do this form. I've been trying to figure out where to fit it into my schedule as I love this form and its benefits...today was a good day!
    A unique snowflake

11 May 2008

Nothing today.
    Stood around at work bored out of my skull...so nothing new.
    A unique snowflake

17 May 2008
    Weight: 175.2

Weird week.
    Trained Monday but then pulled a muscle in my chest. Didn't train after that.
    Binged on alcohol for the rest of the week.

Trained San Da today though!

Worked on some double leg stuff and then a single leg variation as a defense against the jab.
    Then a ton of pummeling and holding the guy against the wall stuff.
    3X3min on the pads. I'm going to be doing 4min rounds but today was an off day to say the least!
    A unique snowflake

19 May 2008
    Weight: 177.2

No BJJ today as it is apparently a holiday for an old queen of England that somehow applies to us...it's a free day off though!

Went to the gym because I needed to put some work in after last week's binge and last night's donuts and ice cream.

Skipping rope
    2X3min
    Shadowboxing
    3X3min
    Heavybag
    4X4min

Maxwell Spartan 300 Workout: Time: 37:20.
    I did chinups instead of pullups and only Hindu pushups, not divebombers, other than that, it was the advanced version of the workout. I'm happy with the time. Once I cut some time off, I'll start doing the full divebomber pushups and then pullups instead of chinups...although I like chinups as they work the biceps in a good way.

So Monday and Thursday will stay as my strength and conditioning days. Monday will be this for now, and Thursday will be a mix of sandbag and kettlebell stuff.
    We shall see how things go.
    A unique snowflake

20 May 2008
    Weight: 176.2

BJJ
    Worked some takedown and headlock defense stuff.

Then rolled with a giant very strong blue belt and had fun getting tuned up. However, I almost got a gogoplata or whatever the hell it is when you have the guy in guard and pull your shin across his face and choke him.
    Then rolled with the instructor and had fun getting tuned up.
    Then rolled with a white belt who got his blue belt after tuning me up. It was a good fight, I had every single takedown, about four or five, and almost had a choke and the plata thingy...but he armbarred and choked me every single time. Good fun and hopefully I see him around more as we had some good matches.

San Da tonight.
    A unique snowflake

20 May 2008 cont.

San Da

I am sore as hell from the Spartan 300 yesterday. That's what you get for taking too much time off!

4X4min rounds on the pads. Worked a ton of kicks from the padman and the hitter would defend, catch, and counter hard with punches. Often we'll do this but with throws.
    Then a bunch of striking drills and then some iron body. A laid back day was today.
    A unique snowflake