Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Training in The 'Peg

21 May 2008
    Weight: 176.2

Nothing today.

Stretching, yoga, joint mobility. Relaxing and resting.
    A unique snowflake

22 May 2008
    Weight: Missed it again.

BJJ
    Good one today. Did a ton of drilling the armbar from guard, and defense against the flying armbar. Then rolled with a bluebelt who is a huge monster. He showed me some stuff and I gave him all I've got which, admittedly, is not much! But I think I'm going to get crazy strong from rolling with all these strong sobs.
    Then rolled with the instructor and tapped to those gogoplata things a bunch of times.
    A unique snowflake

23 May 2008
    Weight: Forgot again!

BJJ

Good times today. Rolled with a guy who just fought MMA last weekend. Managed to score a beautiful seoi nagi into side control and then almost had a kimura but lost it in half-guard. I was happy with that!
    Then rolled with the instructor and tapped a lot.

Afterwards did 4X4 min on the pads working a lot of kick catching and countering.
    A unique snowflake

27 May 2008
    Weight: I don't know.

Things are sketchy lately with working tons and tons.

Trained today San Da. I will be doing this three times a week and that's it.
    New job is wheelbarrow and shovel...good times!
    A unique snowflake

8 June 2008
    Weight: Usually around 175

Working so much lately...it sucks.

Some updates:
    Have a guy in the club now that I've trained with for years and has finally somewhat settled into regular training...this is awesome as he is a monster and loves, absolutely loves to fight and his personal style fits san shou perfectly.

The owner of the MMA gym we train out of is now hosting an open sparring night once a week so we'll be able to mix it up MMA, boxing, san shou, kickboxing or whatever.

My throwing and clinch fighting, takedowns, have gotten way better than ever! I'm really happy about my progress in this area but now I'm thinking I need to work on hand combos ending with kicks and more flurries.

I'll try to update this as things come along and anything significant.

Oh yeah, my strength is getting better from wheelbarrowing, shoveling, and swinging a sledge hammer all day long! Good times!
    A unique snowflake

10 June 2008
    Weight: 179.4 after a 2.5hr class wearing underwear (blue) shorts, and a t-shirt that is red. You can guess the shorts colour.

San Da

Warmed up with usual jogging and footwork stuff then lots of mobility and squat stuff just generally loosening and warming up the whole body..about 10min.
    Shadowboxing 3X3min with various exercises called out as we went along. First round hands, 2nd kicks, third was both.

Bas Rutten Thai Boxing 7X3min...first 4 on the pads, then last 3 done shadowboxing but not kicking just punching while another guy hit the pads.
    Worked a slew of one to one basic techniques and clinch/throw tactics...ended with a couple rounds of pummeling.

Finished the workout with lots of abs and iron body.

A good one tonight!

Just found out the gym we train out of is going to start having an open sparring night Thursdays so I should get to mix it up MMA and Thai to round out my San Da sparring sessions.
    A unique snowflake

13 June 2008
    Weight: I do not know.

Sparring

MMA
    Went 4X3min rounds with another instructor at the gym. It was pretty fun. He is friggin strong and that made for me defending primarily on the ground although I did reverse him and get side control numerous times. The stand up was pretty light with the little gloves but we threw some decent kicks.
    The moral of the story: cardio and explosiveness play dividends when you're not as strong as the other guy and the other guy has better ground skill. He's taken silver in gi and no gi for beginners I think...he's primarily a boxer.

Did 2X3min with a beginner but it was not really worth anyone's time. He needs to work a lot and I was told to hit him as I was punching his head from all angles but pulling my shots. I gave him one ok leg kick for which 20min later he had a huge red welt...oh well, you gotta learn somewhere.

SanDa (no takedowns)
    3X3min this was with one of my regular training partners and he doesn't hit the ground due to a back so we clinch for position and striking. I've been working a lot on his structure and defense, stringing punches together, and working body shots hard. He's doing very well. He also pulled out some new tricks and scored several good leg kicks on me. I landed a beautiful liver shot.

I look forward to this next week.

It also turns out that their kickboxing instructor is probably leaving so I might try to get a full position on their staff instructing San Da. Winnipeg may have its first San Da MMA gym before long.
    A unique snowflake

14 June 2008

Solo Practice.

2X3min skipping
    3X3min shadowboxing (hands, feet, both)
    1X3min joint mobility
    4X3min heavybag
    1X3min double-end bag
    100 Leg kicks on the stationary leg kick station
    A unique snowflake

19 June 2008
    Weight: 182 right before sparring night started...I was clothed and probably had some food in me etc. Still, it's good to have a bit more weight on me after all the cutting and dieting.

I trained last Saturday but I forget really what happened.
    Skipped training on Tuesday, was too tired from dealing with wankers at work.

Sparring:
    Got some good rounds in. Managed to do well against another MMA fighter, got dominant position many times and defended everything but it was still a draw. Had fun with a BJJ brown with little to no stand-up...the ground was pretty close as well. I also scored a nice takedown into side-control on him.
    Had some fun rounds with the boxing coach...worked my knee strikes in the clinch and landed some good punches and sidekicks.
    However, I take inside lead leg roundhouses way too often! Have to work on this.
    A unique snowflake

21 June 2008
    Weight: 176.6

San Da

Started with 6 rounds of 3min with 30 sec rest of:
    Skipping
    Body pummeling
    Skipping
    Neck Pummeling
    Skipping
    Mixed Pummeling

Then did seoi nage, hip toss, and a shuai jiao toss 10 each side just working on the entry and basic lift for explosiveness.
    2X3min of basic round and straight kick catches with corresponding takedown.
    1X3min of attack and defend against any punches and then a shoot...then switch after each takedown/attempt.
    1X3min wrestling for throws from clinch

All the drills were and are always done with boxing gloves

Then 6 Rounds of
    Shadowboxing and heavbag
    Hands
    Legs
    Both
    Basically do one round of shadow with hands, then a round of the heavy bag with hands... then move on to kicks, etc.
    3X3min on the Thai pads. I usually do 4min rounds but felt like cutting the rest to 30 seconds and doing only 3min rounds...plus I was starting to get tired...especially after working 13 hours of concrete yesterday!

Finished with a hard chi gung set.

Go
    A unique snowflake

26 June 2008
    Weight: Dunno

I'm finally back to my regular training. Going to hopefully start integrating the form work back in as well as I miss that stuff too much to give it up!
    San Da is going great, have had some excellent workouts recently. Went back to BJJ today and learned some stuff but promptly got submitted a million times...oh well, it felt great to be back at it!
    I'm thinking I need to retool my whole ground game and start really forgetting all the wrestling and Judo based stuff and focus on rolling and maneuvering rather than holding specific positions too much. We shall see how things go.
    A unique snowflake

26 June 2008 cont.
    Weight: 178 (After 1.5 hrs of skipping, heavybag, shadowboxing, and sparring)

Sparring

Did 2 rounds of MMA style. Went fine. Worked on some new leg blocks with counters. Often referred to as Lion's techniques. These seemed to do be good...especially off the inside leg kick which I get hit with a lot! Got taken down by the brown belt again, this time after a struggle and I managed to keep top position with him in guard...defended a slew of subs he threw my way and then disengaged.
    Another guy, had some fun, he's longer and so worked the kicks more with him and tried for some San Da style leg sweeps off kick catches...good fun!

Then 2 rounds of just boxing with the tall guy. This was OK. I rely on my kicks and takedowns, clinch, so just hands was weird. I landed my left hook and left chop choy (hailing Satori Science!) at will and also a lot of body shots. He kept stopping after each body shot and said I'm the only one who goes for the body that much. What can I say, I love body shots!

Things to work on: striking in the clinch, maybe trying for subs or positions on the ground (although against another guy with maybe half a year or more BJJ experience than me, I kept side control and went for an Americana and then a gullitoine to no avail.) I also really need to work my combos with throws and takedowns at the tail end.
    Kicking was good though!

For boxing I felt ok but just wasn't used to the format...but it was fun.
    A unique snowflake

27 June 2008

BJJ
    Just worked some takedowns into armbars and lots of explosive back and forth takedowns into submissions. Had to leave early so no rolling.
    A unique snowflake

28 June 2008
    Weight: dunno. Probably about 180 though...

San Da
    Warmup 2X
    Skipping
    Pummeling body/head

Worked rounds of punches with random pushkicks thrown in and kickcatching with takedowns. Then did any kick with a takedown.
    Drilled hip tosses and drag-down (for lack of a better term) off of punches. Added a couple of sweeps from clinching off the hook.

Shadowboxing 3X3min...lots of bodyweight stuff thrown in.

Thai Pads
    Bas Rutten Thai Rounds: 4X3min
    Abs: leg raises and leg thrusts: 20 each, 2X
    Conditioning: 10 reps, 3 sets
    Squats, JJs, Sprawls, Burpees.

Good freaking times...very soaked.

Had a walk-in that is going to start training next week. Club is slowly blossoming as we have three new members coming in for their first classes next week. Good stuff.
    A unique snowflake

31 June 2008
    Weight: XXX

BJJ

Had fun today and did a ton more of takedowns and armbars from the takedown. Then rolled for about 25min straight with three people including the instructor. I managed to get some good position and attempt some stuff I've never tried before...aside from the instructor, I did not tap to the other two guys.
    A unique snowflake