Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Defence Against Front Tackles

Gracie family started with trad jj as far as the story goes and turned it into what it is today.

just a decent bjj club with an instructor who is articulate and able to show and convey the lessons is enough. It is definitely a useful skillset for any kungfu guy, or karate guy or whatever to learn tat will improve him/her as an ma-ist and bring their game to the table fresh and spicy!

just get past the gay stuff. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

BJJ evolved from Japanes Judo...which previously evolved from Japanese Jujutsu...or so I thought.
    Last edited by SAAMAG; 04-21-2008 at 11:19 PM.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I believe essentially it was/is Kosen judo.
    Kosen Judo tended to focus mainly on newaza. It ws a pre WW2 form of judo.

this seems to work pretty well

A variation of this technique seems to work fairly reliably against the two-legged front tackle.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...sumigaeshi.htm

Saw a video of a Russian fighter (can't remember his name unfortunately) use it in the octagon once.

Quote Originally Posted by hafoc View Post
    A variation of this technique seems to work fairly reliably against the two-legged front tackle.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...sumigaeshi.htm

Saw a video of a Russian fighter (can't remember his name unfortunately) use it in the octagon once.
    If the tackle is high.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    If the tackle is high.

Generally speaking, I'd say that's true. I've used it against one and two leg tackles against MMA guys, but I'd say that as far as I can remember, they kept their butts up when they came in, which I think is what you mean when you say "high". Haven't tried it in sparring against the tackle when the guy keeps his butt low as he shoots. But I think there's a way to modify the technique to deal with that situation too.

The very nature of sumi geshi, much like tomoe nage, is you must get UNDER your opponents center of gravity, well under it, and that is very hard to do on a low shoot/takedown where his center is basically "on the ground".

anti-shooting

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    The very nature of sumi geshi, much like tomoe nage, is you must get UNDER your opponents center of gravity, well under it, and that is very hard to do on a low shoot/takedown where his center is basically "on the ground".
    Granted. But there is also this, which is similar but involves a roll over the shoulder or to the side and does not require you to be so much under the opponent, which is what I tend to do anyway. http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...komigaeshi.htm

We'll just have to try it out and see what happens, won't we?

Quote Originally Posted by hafoc View Post
    Granted. But there is also this, which is similar but involves a roll over the shoulder or to the side and does not require you to be so much under the opponent, which is what I tend to do anyway. http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...komigaeshi.htm

We'll just have to try it out and see what happens, won't we?
    Hikikomi Gaeshi is one of the better ones, if they opponent goes in real deep and you can angle out, you can even grab the leg instead of the belt, seen it once in a wrestling match.

I've seen it work by grabbing at the waistline of whatever the person is wearing, shorts, pants, whatever.

I've been noticing also that many of the judo components are very similiar to my high school wrestling moves...
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    I've seen it work by grabbing at the waistline of whatever the person is wearing, shorts, pants, whatever.

I've been noticing also that many of the judo components are very similiar to my high school wrestling moves...
    Yes! Judo and wrestling have a lot in common.

Fun Question

Try a piledriver. There is usually a bunch of open fingers at the beginning of a tackle too. Here is the thing- Most grapplers don't expect a striker to go to town on their open gates: they must connect their torso to yours to begin. The grappler has decided to use his art on you- decide to use yours on him first. Grab an old book on Judo and give it a quick study, there is one in most public libraries.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHead View Post
    Try a piledriver. There is usually a bunch of open fingers at the beginning of a tackle too. Here is the thing- Most grapplers don't expect a striker to go to town on their open gates: they must connect their torso to yours to begin. The grappler has decided to use his art on you- decide to use yours on him first. Grab an old book on Judo and give it a quick study, there is one in most public libraries.
    This is true and if you can find a good hard cover and heavy book of judo, even better because at least with that you can smack him in the face with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHead View Post
    Interesting. I find that a lot of strikers who lose to grapplers do so not because they are bad at grappling,but because they are bad at Striking and in their own arts, holistically speaking, that is.

HW8

PS. Don't worry about Sanjuro's comments regarding the Judo book. Some people here do not respect newcomers and besides, he wouldn't be able to read a book if his life depended on it, so if he is not hitting someone with a book then he probably is chewing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Interesting. I find that a lot of strikers who lose to grapplers do so not because they are bad at grappling,but because they are bad at Striking and in their own arts, holistically speaking, that is.

That is not the case. In cases of grapplers vs strikers the strikers almost always land at least several strikes and the grapplers almost always execute several of their go-to techniques. The strikers tend to lose when they find themselves in grappling range without grappling skills. Certainly, the same can happen to grapplers in striking range but, contrary to what some would have you believe, landing a punch does not gaurantee a knock out. Niether does finishing a takedown gaurantee an immediate end to a conflict. The difference is that grapplers understand the latter and too many strikers don't want to acknowledge the former. Grapplers can move from striking to grappling range more easily than strikers can move from grappling to striking range.