Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Defence Against Front Tackles

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I have the book in question and it shows some standing and grappling moves that are found in wrestling and judo/jujutsu, which makes sense on many levels, from tha fact that the human body works in finite angles and the fact that grappling moves are consistent through the various cultures.
    Tim is a BJJ Black Belt by the way.
    Cool.

So, maybe you can answer...

1) How many front tackles does he/you have? (Since that's the subject of the thread...)

2) How do they compare technically to BJJ/wrestling ones?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Cool.

1) How many front tackles does he/you have? (Since that's the subject of the thread...)

Everyone knows the best answer to a tackle or a shoot(they are not the same WTF?) is to run away. If you can't run then drop to a low horse stance. Try to channel your chi into your legs. This is what the BJJ schools do, they just don't want anyone to really know. The sprawl is a term Eddie Bravo coined after watching allot of CMA fighters. Redirecting , head control, distance, and timing are all myths. Just Run away... or pull out a gun and shoot him. thats what I do all the time in the gym.
    Last edited by monji112000; 03-26-2008 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Everyone knows the best answer to a tackle or a shoot(they are not the same WTF?) is to run away. If you can't run then drop to a low horse stance. Try to channel your chi into your legs. This is what the BJJ schools do, they just don't want anyone to really know. The sprawl is a term Eddie Bravo coined after watching allot of CMA fighters. Redirecting , head control, distance, and timing are all myths. Just Run away... or pull out a gun and shoot him. thats what I do all the time in the gym.
    Ninjas have been sent to dispatch you for revealing the ancient Gracie secrets.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Cool.

If you are refering to the book, it has no take downs per say, its oriented on submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by James O View Post
    When discussing other styles of martial arts with my Sifu, we spoke of Brazillian JuJitsu and how they charge straight at their targets tackling them and taking them to the ground.

Obviously for a Wing Chun pracitioner, this is not where we want to be.
    Any thoughts as to a good tactic to counter a front tackle? My Sifu showed me one but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I saw this one on youtube.com and it seems to be rather good:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FtXNPI7YFf0

Thoughts?
    Does anyone have any better tactics for a front tackle?
    what did he show you?
    really BJJ guys don't have the best takedowns. Honestly are you preparing for a MMA fight? or just SD? I have never seen a "good" takedown in a real fight. The ground normally comes into play after you start clinching. Something really sloppy... thats my experience. Has anyone really seen a nice wrestlers single/double in a none-sports fight?
    Ok I'll take that back. In high school that was common becouse of all the wrestlers... but outside of grade school.

I'm more worried about getting punched in the face. maybe I'm crazy...

I'm no expert but sprawling may not be the best option. It depends on allot of variables.
    Last edited by monji112000; 03-26-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by No_Know; 03-30-2008 at 06:59 AM. Reason: jJ
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I'll stick with the sprawl....you can also do a variety of chokes from a sprawl as well. I've always found it as the best defense against most kinds of front tackles

Quote Originally Posted by James O View Post
    When discussing other styles of martial arts with my Sifu, we spoke of Brazillian JuJitsu and how they charge straight at their targets tackling them and taking them to the ground.

Obviously for a Wing Chun pracitioner, this is not where we want to be.
    Any thoughts as to a good tactic to counter a front tackle? My Sifu showed me one but it doesn't seem to work for me.

I saw this one on youtube.com and it seems to be rather good:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FtXNPI7YFf0

Thoughts?
    Does anyone have any better tactics for a front tackle?
    Before I give my advice I would suggest that you ignore the forum retard and anyone else that is being rude to you.

Now, believe it or not there are Wing Chun lineages that practice ground fighting. It is not common to the Hong Kong lineages, but is present in the mainland chinese lineage that I practice.

I will not be able to give you advice on the ground fighting, because I am not at that level of training yet, but I can give you some anti takedown advice.

First of all if you want to prevent yourself from going down, you need to improve your striking yes YOUR STRIKING. Some of the strikers who lose to grapplers, do so because they are lousy strikers and not because they are lousy at grappling.

How many times have seen a grappler brush off the striker's strikes as if they were mere mosquito bites just before or even during the shoot?

Why? Primarily because the striker had not even managed to master his striking techniques before entering the combat.

Let me give you another example, there are many so called Tiger Claw practitioners, who couldn't claw their way out of paper bags. Why? Because, they practice their art superficialy, that is they learn the forms and perhaps do some "hop around" sparring, a la kick boxing and that is it.Real Tiger Claw practice involves turning your "claws" into lethal weapons.

Just as real Wing Chun practice involves turning your fists and palms into effective weapons, by gaining the ability to not just hit hard but with PENETRATIVE force. And that is just what real iron palm training all about.

How do you increase you striking effectiveness? Well, I don't know your level of training but I would say that you need to start praciticing your principle strikes (including the palm strikes), through thousands of times of repetition. At first practice by "hitting" the thin air only.

This will help to loosen your tendons and articulations. In time work the repetions up to 10,000 or more. You will be imprinting these techniques in your subconscious as well as developing "heavy hands".

While you have move up the number of repetitions, then start your iron palm training. In the old days kung fu fighters put great emphasis on iron palm training and the reason is that "stopping" power doesn't just come from wishing for it.

If you are serious about iron palm then ask your sifu and if he is the real deal then he will be able to recommend you a working training program.

Suffice to say, that if you not only hit like a sledge hammer but also with great speed AND from a relatively short distance, then you will be harder to take down.

Assuming that one has the stopping power then he can try something like the following example of being "charged":

Be in a position when you seem to be "offering" a leg to the grappler. As he goes for it, then pull back the leg, turning almost half circle, bridging the head with one hand while striking the side of the head with a palm strike or the back of the head with a hammer fist or chopping strike. A more skilled technique would be to sink the elbow in the back of the neck.

Again, for this to work you need to have the POWER and to PRACTICE it regularly.

I hope that my advice was at least partially relevant to what you were looking for.

You really should train with decent grapplers.

Now for the rest of you guys.

James O started this thread with a genuine enquiry. This resulted in a couple of retarded idiots, who wouldn't know real kung fu if it fell on them, coming out with rude remarks and the rest of you just buried your heads in the sand as if nothing had happened.

Shame on you!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You really should train with decent grapplers.
    You really should train with decent kung fu men.

Actually, start with some decent kung fu women, and them work your way up. We wouldn't want you to get hurt now, would we?

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    You really should train with decent kung fu men.
    There you go again, seriously, you give crap advice based on what?
    7 tears of training with who exactly ?

I don't know how MMA guys do their tackles, but what's keeping you from pek choi'ing the back of their neck when they come at you? Or lau kiu'ing an arm and then pek choi'ing their neck? Or just using an aikido tech and letting them throw themselves? Never tried the last one, but I've seen it work.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"