Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Defence Against Front Tackles

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I don't know how MMA guys do their tackles, but what's keeping you from pek choi'ing the back of their neck when they come at you? Or lau kiu'ing an arm and then pek choi'ing their neck? Or just using an aikido tech and letting them throw themselves? Never tried the last one, but I've seen it work.
    A well paced tackle or shoot (mostly shoots are used) is not a single attack, but usually done off either a fake or as a counter or as part of a combination of moves.
    Its difficult at best to meet a tackle head on and while pivoting and angling are ideal, doing that when you DON'T know a tackle is coming is, to say the least, difficult.
    Countering an attempted take down is like countering any other move, no one is just gonna throw a left hook at your head, they will throw it in a combination of moves or as a counter, so to think you can do A to counter B is silly because it doesn't take into account what happens before, during and after the event.

Don't know how clear that was...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    There you go again, seriously, you give crap advice based on what?
    Based on real kung fu, which is something that you apparently haven't come across in your MA journey.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin
    7 tears of training with who exactly ?
    With REAL kung fu sifus and not with pseudo kungfu/kickboxers.

And as I said before and that any real martial artist should appreciate, it is the quality and not the quantity.

And then, how the hell am I going to explain kung fu quality to people who crosstrain kung fu with TKD and 10 other MAs at the same time?

For gods sake.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 04-10-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HardWork8 View Post
    Based on real kung fu, which is something that you apparently haven't come across in your MA journey.

With REAL kung fu sifus and not with pseudo kungfu/kickboxers.

And as I said before and that any real martial artist should appreciate, it is the quantity and not the quality.

And then, how the hell am I going to explain kung fu quality to people who crosstrain kung fu with TKD and 10 other MAs at the same time?

For gods sake.
    Names?
    Any ??

Names?
    Any ??
    You will not recognize the name of the sifu I am currently training with. So what difference will it make if I give you his name?

On the other hand my Wing Chun sifu's name will appear on the site very soon when one of his students posts the details of his Siu Lam Wing Chun London Seminar.

Be patient.
    Last edited by HardWork8; 04-10-2008 at 09:57 AM.

You will not recognize the name of the sifu I am currently training with. So what difference will it make if I give you his name?

On the other hand my Wing Chun sifu's name will appear on the site very soon when one of his students posts the details of his Siu Lam Wing Chun London Seminar.

Be patient.
    What are their names and how long have you trained with them ?

What are their names and how long have you trained with them ?
    I can say anything in the forums. You will not be able to varify them either way. They are not sifus that are known by people such as yourself, so giving their names will be irrelevant.

My main kung fu style is Wing Chun and that is what I have most understanding and experience of and as a result that is what most of my forum input is concerned with. You will know soon enough about my Wing Chun school details.

I can say anything in the forums. You will not be able to varify them either way. They are not sifus that are known by people such as yourself, so giving their names will be irrelevant.

My main kung fu style is Wing Chun and that is what I have most understanding and experience of and as a result that is what most of my forum input is concerned with. You will know soon enough about my Wing Chun school details.
    If they would be unknown to me, what's the problem?
    Names and how long you have trained with them?
    I am sure there are a few here that are curious as to your qualifications to give advice on WC matters, especially over those that have decades in the system, so , names and how long have you trained?

If they would be unknown to me, what's the problem?
    Names and how long you have trained with them?
    I am sure there are a few here that are curious as to your qualifications to give advice on WC matters,, so , names and how long have you trained?
    Since, as you correctly pointed out that I advise on WC MATTERS, then my WC training is what is the relevant experience and not my other kung fu styles.

My experience in WC is no secret. The other kung fu systems that I study are my business and are kind of like aces up my sleave, so I don't wish to reveal that to anyone.

especially over those that have decades in the system
    Those decades don't mean a thing if they have trained in McKwoons and you know that. They don't mean a thing if these "experts" come up with idiotic comments such as, "Siu Nim Tao is useless";"kung fu forms are useless"; "chi -kung training is useless"; "There are no internals in kung fu" and other immortally idiotic comments.

Since, as you correctly pointed out that I advise on WC MATTERS, then my WC training is what is the relevant experience and not my other kung fu styles.

My experience in WC is no secret. The other kung fu systems that I study are my business and are kind of like aces up my sleave, so I don't wish to reveal that to anyone.
    So who is your WC Shifu and how long have you trained with him?
    "Aces up my sleeve"..Dude...seriously.

Those decades don't mean a thing if they have trained in McKwoons and you know that. They don't mean a thing if these "experts" come up with idiotic comments such as, "Siu Nim Tao is useless";"kung fu forms are useless"; "chi -kung training is useless"; "There are no internals in kung fu" and other immortally idiotic comments.
    Context is everything.

So who is your WC Shifu
    As I said before, info regarding his soon to be held Seminar here in london will appear on this site soon and then you will have your info.

However, if this info for whatever reason doesn't appear here, then I will refer you to a link where you can see the relevant info.

and how long have you trained with him?
    You already know how long I have trained Wing Chun and you have even referred to it condecendingly in some of your previous posts in other threads.

"Aces up my sleeve"..Dude...seriously.
    You wouldn't have made that remark if you had any notion of what real kung fu can entail. I am not saying that you are a bad martial artist, all I am saying is that you don't know your kung fu, beyond a superficial level, that is.

Context is everything.
    Yes, lets help this people hide their idiotic approach to kung fu behind "context is everything".
    Last edited by HardWork8; 04-10-2008 at 11:08 AM.

As I said before, info regarding his soon to be held Seminar here in london will appear on this site soon and then you will have your info.

However, if this info for whatever reason doesn't appear here, then I will refer you to a link where you can see the relevant info.
    Fair enough, I guess...

You already know how long I have trained Wing Chun and you have even referred to it condecendingly in some of your previous posts in other threads.
    7 years? I wasn't sure that was Total time or with just this system/teacher.

You wouldn't have made that remark if you had any notion of what real kung fu can entail. I am not saying that you are a bad martial artist, all I am saying is that you don't know your kung fu, beyond a superficial level, that is.
    You really need to stop making silly assumptions, though they are good for a laugh, they don't really add anything to the discussion.

Yes, lets help this people hide their idiotic approach to kung fu behind "context is everything".
    There you go again.

Almost forgot, his website should come on the air soon and when it does, then I will post a link, so that you can satisfy your curiousity.

Did you bring this up on Bullshido a few years ago?
    About challenge matches in Brasil and your teacher ( or teachers teacher) was Andri something or other ( sorry, I am bad with names) ?
    What that you?
    Chinese fist or something like that?

Be in a position when you seem to be "offering" a leg to the grappler. As he goes for it, then pull back the leg, turning almost half circle, bridging the head with one hand while striking the side of the head with a palm strike or the back of the head with a hammer fist or chopping strike. A more skilled technique would be to sink the elbow in the back of the neck.)

Here we go again...

Offering your leg to an experience grappler, unless you happen to be an experienced grappler, is most likely to result in the expected outcome of him taking that leg, despite whatever theories you might be pinning your hopes on.

Folks whose experience with grappling is limited to "You go here, then I go here...wait! I wasn't ready!" 'training' with others in the kwoon just as inexperienced in grappling reinforcing very false expectations about what real grappling is like.

A recipe for disappointment and disaster on wake up day...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    I don't know how MMA guys do their tackles, but what's keeping you from pek choi'ing the back of their neck when they come at you? Or lau kiu'ing an arm and then pek choi'ing their neck? Or just using an aikido tech and letting them throw themselves? Never tried the last one, but I've seen it work.

Train with some actual grapplers who have quality takedown skills and you will be able to answer for yourself.