Thread: Hop Gar Story of the day

Hop Gar Story of the day

its like in those kung fu movies you know...the herb doctor and sh1t

I was on the phone with my sifu david chin today, and he said he met a herb doctor in san francisco, about 55 years old, lots of power, and does hop gar

his teacher is an 80 year old man that lives in Dallas/Ft Worth Texas.

looks like Deng Gum To's stuff according to my sifu, but generates power and has power training closer to ours.

his lineage comes from the last disciple of Wong Yan Lum, NOT choi yit gung, apparently Wong had a last group of students in canton after choi...

Thanks for the report. It's good to hear that there is more Hop Ga in the Bay area. Did your sifu mention any names?

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post

his lineage comes from the last disciple of Wong Yan Lum, NOT choi yit gung, apparently Wong had a last group of students in canton after choi...
    Doesn't suprise me at all. My teacher also learned some Lama from a guy (My Yee Po) that doesn't seem to be in anyone's record books, but according to CTS, he was the shit. I think he was a student of Wong Yan Lam as well, don't quite remember, but D. Ross probably does. I've got it written around here somewhere......

We have no idea who taught Ma Yi Po

He learned lama pai up near Manchuria, there was some talk about Wong Yan Lam teaching the style up there when he was a body guard. No evidence however

The Ma Yi Po material is very unlike most Tibetan martial art

Anohter mystery to add to the lot I'm afraid
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

he didn't have any names on him, he had written it down on a sheet of paper but it wasn't with him. i could hear rustling in the background as he was frantically looking for it while telling me the story

is there any way you guys could do a clip on JUST ma yee po's stuff? i'm really curious as to what it looks like

Any info you could provide on the Herbalist/Hop Gar practitioner in SF would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking for authentic Hop Gar or Pak Hok Pai in the Cali Bay Area for awhile now, and I would like to look him up. Even just a street address would be helpful.

Or if anyone can recommend someone in the area, that would great.

Nick,
    Daniel Leong head of Leongs white Crane may be able to help you school is in center of sf chinatown 415 720-8830.
    m

Thanks. I checked out their website and they seem to be pretty focused on lion dance. I am looking for something more combat oriented. Thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Egan View Post
    Thanks. I checked out their website and they seem to be pretty focused on lion dance. I am looking for something more combat oriented. Thanks though.
    GO THERE

Yes, they do a fine lion dance

not saying you will learn to fight right away, but if you stick to it, yes, they are a very good Pak Hok school, maybe the best n US
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Ikfmdc is correct they do lion dance based on their Crane kung fu which they practice very hard daily they have a couple of branches locally in the bay area,their kung fu is tradional m.

note

You might want to check out YC Wong on Sacramento Street, in San Francsico.

If your looking for a traditional Kung Fu school, he has been around for decades. Never hurts to look. Seems like everyone in Chinatown knows YC Wong.

lol i posted this months ago and now everyones reading it

Quote Originally Posted by htowndragon View Post
    ...and now everyones reading it

Only cuz someone said Pak Hok Pai.

JK
    "Don't think,
    just train"