Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cung Li vs. Frank Shamrock

Greetings..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

In an effort to promote Gene's ninja skills

The examining physician, Dr. George Gay, has been detained by police.
    This line is what gave it away for me. I don't know anything about a hippy doc but police wouldn't just go detain somebody on an allegation of a fixed MMA fight. The fight commission might have some things to investigate though

One thing about this fight that is bothering me though, well not so much the fight but all the peanut gallery comments about it....

Yeah Cung Le's ground game is untested...big F'n deal...
    I'm sick of hearing how that somehow lessens him as a fighter. Cung's plan was to do standup..he stuck to his game plan as that has been working for him for 6 MMA fights now. If it was Chuck Liddel everyone would be like..."dang that guy is a beast!" Its not Cung's responsibility to have to prove his ground (which him being not just a professional fighter, but a straight professional; I'm willing to bet is not half bad). Its his opponent's responsibility to push Cung into that situation. Something Frank simply didn't do. The failure is on Frank, not Cung.

SoCo, this problem people have with Cung Li on this forum stems from the fact that some TCMA fanatics use Cung's accoplishments to bolster thier own oppinions about TCMA. Which is just goofy... And this makes the TCMA bashers bash anything they can about Cung. Which is even goofier, because Cung isn't TCMA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Most of us cross-trainers already know that Cung isn't a TMA or CMA for that matter. We just laugh at those that think otherwise.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

But the point is relevant. If is known what Cung is, why bash him for what he is not? The only reason I've been able to come up with is that the TCMA delusional fanatics claim to be able to do it all and they also claim Cung. The problem with that rasional is that Cung doesn't claim to be able to do it all, though he has been successful at everything he's tried so far.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    But the point is relevant. If is known what Cung is, why bash him for what he is not? The only reason I've been able to come up with is that the TCMA delusional fanatics claim to be able to do it all and they also claim Cung. The problem with that rasional is that Cung doesn't claim to be able to do it all, though he has been successful at everything he's tried so far.
    What has Cung done so far?
    San shou and MMA, anything else?
    Going from San Shou to MMA is a bit of a change, but not as much as going from Wushu forms to MMA
    Cung is a very smart fighter, he brings things to the table that many don't try to bring, got admire that and he has excellent trainers.
    As for his ground skills, if anyone wants to try them out I am sure he is open for some fun
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

sanjuro_ronin, Were you one of they gys bashing Cung?

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    sanjuro_ronin, Were you one of they gys bashing Cung?
    I don't think so, I like Cung Le, heck he has TKD in his background

Talking bashing?

My problem with Cung is (be advised that I am basing it on his most recent fight with Frank) the fact that he is said to be this amazing stand up fighter but in reality he is not. Don't get me wrong, he has great kicks(as i have said b4) but not much else. I suppose that since he is standing and not sitting while he does so means that he has great stand up but I for one dont agree(nor do I believe in commas :P).

He really wasn't any better than Frank (in regards to stand up). Foot placement was too wide to really have any power behind his punches(this one isn't my observation but one from an MMA friend) and considering the fact that he is pure stand up wouldn't he realize this flaw? Maybe he was just getting ready to sprawl if Frank went for a takedown but he was not at his best (if he is indeed as good as I am supposed to believe.) .

Anyway, this is my reason for not really liking him . I think that he has good potential but right now, he is not this amazing fighter that he is made out to be.

--peace

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't think so, I like Cung Le, heck he has TKD in his background
    So, keeping in mind that my above opinions are just that, thye would not make sence to you, as you are not one who bashes for no good reason. Not sayin' you aren't above trolling, but usually it's not totally unprevoked.

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post
    My problem with Cung is (be advised that I am basing it on his most recent fight with Frank) the fact that he is said to be this amazing stand up fighter but in reality he is not. Don't get me wrong, he has great kicks(as i have said b4) but not much else. I suppose that since he is standing and not sitting while he does so means that he has great stand up but I for one dont agree(nor do I believe in commas :P).

He really wasn't any better than Frank (in regards to stand up). Foot placement was too wide to really have any power behind his punches(this one isn't my observation but one from an MMA friend) and considering the fact that he is pure stand up wouldn't he realize this flaw? Maybe he was just getting ready to sprawl if Frank went for a takedown but he was not at his best (if he is indeed as good as I am supposed to believe.) .

Anyway, this is my reason for not really liking him . I think that he has good potential but right now, he is not this amazing fighter that he is made out to be.

--peace
    He's a great kicker; that's what made him. And since it's standing, it is indead stand-up. Is he as well rounded as some? No. But he is much more successfull than most. Who cares how many fance combos you have if you can't win a fight? If all you got is a few solid kicks and some footwork, and you win with it, you still won.

I've seen some very talented fighters who can't pull a win. I've seen some with absolutely horrible technique be quite successful. That's the nature of fighting. I absolutely hate to watch Tim Silva fight because he looks to me like a stoned out drunk who didn't get the message that the cops are comming. But he was also a title-holding fighter. Go figure.

Some fighters are successful in SPITE of what they do.

Yes, yes, it was an April Fool's prank...

...I just couldn't resist with all this smack talk about the fight's validity and 'is Cung really any good?' My Lord. If you ever get a chance to watch Cung fight live, it's an opportunity not to be missed. Same goes for Frank Shamrock. They are both amazing in action and their match-up was a testament to their skills and sportsmanship.

Kudos to MysticNinjaJay for outing the prank in 1 hour and 18 seconds. Extra credit to TaiChiBob for cross checking the facts on Dr. George Skip Gay. Skip was one of my teachers and my dear friend. He was a founder of the Haight Ashbury Free Clinic, America's first free clinic, where I have been doing volunteering for over two decades (don't even get me started on the state of the American medical system). Over 200 free clinics across our nation are part of Dr. Skip's legacy. The day after Cung's victory, we held a memorial for Skip at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View. I was the first speaker. His widow, Penny Miller, is a dear friend too and she asked me to offer an opening invocation. Going from the fight to the memorial made it was an emotionally draining weekend for me.

But back OT, Cung has always been a mixed martial artist at heart. He's studied many different styles and continues to explore with his training and sharpen his skills. Beyond sanshou and MMA, he has also fought Draka and in the Shidokan. Bottom line, he loves to fight. What' makes him very interesting to us is that he's done a lot of fighting in sanshou and has remained at the forefront of that sport in America. It was thrilling to see him apply sanshou tactics in MMA, a real testament to the efficaciousness of the style. All CMA aficionados should be pleased and proud.

Of course, we here at Kung Fu Tai Chi are extremely excited because we've watched Cung come up for years. The Ohs, my bosses, supported Cung early on in his career. He's never forgotten that and still calls Gigi his second mom, even always calling her on mother's day. Gigi was in China for the fight, but I IMed her and told her to call him ASAP, which she did.

Here's Cung's past covers stories for your reference:

1994 Fall: Full-Contact Kung Fu: Sport of the Future? by Marian K. Castinado

1998 November: Cung Le: Sanshou's Golden Boy by Martha Burr

He was also on the cover of the 1998 JULY/AUG Issue of World of Martial Arts, but we haven't put those stories online....yet.

You'll also find these exclusive e-zine articles on Cung:
    Cung Le's Lethal Scissor Kick Cuts 'Em Down! by Martha Burr
    Cung Le's Fighting Tactics Revealed on Video by August West
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

And in case you're wondering about Mrs. Shamrock

False alarm.

Tough break, but no baby for MMA star Shamrock
    By John Ryan
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 04/02/2008 01:42:05 AM PDT

According to Frank Shamrock, the false alarm was a false alarm.

The mixed-martial arts star from San Jose downplayed a Yahoo! Sports report that, while he was at the hospital being treated for a broken arm Saturday night, his wife, Amy, was also in the hospital feeling labor pains from a daughter whose due date is May 3.

"She was there to support me, and she didn't have any labor or anything," said Shamrock, who lost his Strikeforce middleweight to friend and rival Cung Le at HP Pavilion. "She just rushed down there to be with me. She's fine."

As for Frank, he had surgery to insert a plate and six screws in his forearm. (It's the biggest bone he has broken, he said, but injuries to tendons and other body parts have been worse.) Physical therapy - four months of it - starts in three to four weeks, then another operation to take the plate out, and if all goes well he'll have another fight before the end of the year.

He watched the video of his loss to Le and realized that he was lulled by the fact that Le's kicks to his head weren't that hard. So he didn't block with both arms, which led to disaster when Le landed a kick in just the right spot in the second round.

By the third round, Shamrock was feeling the effects every time he punched. (Yes. He continued to punch with a broken arm.)

"Usually you get a good shot and it just feels heavy down your arm," he said. "This one felt heavy and there was a jolt of pain."
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by ittokaos View Post

--peace
    I can respect that opinion. I'm not going to start to speculate as to why Cung does some things the way he does them. All I can say is that he has his coaches, trainers and human punching bags and he is the one getting paid to fight so mechanics are up to them. Whatever they may be training him.
    I will say that he looked like he was playing the clock more than he was playing Frank. Its like how I used to hear people compare Tyson to Hollyfield. Tyson would go for the kill. But Hollyfield knew he had 12 rounds to make things go his way, so he worked his endurance and textbook boxing skills. That was one of the differences between a boxer and a brawler (at least as I've heard it, I was never much a boxing enthusiast when I was a kid though). It seemed like that was the way this fight went (even though it did end before the judges). Sometimes it is the game plan to try to win on points. Granted you don't see that too much in MMA, most want to finish. But given Cung's background it wouldn't surprise me.