Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Cung Li vs. Frank Shamrock

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Dats the balls of de bull.
    I hear they are quite the delicacy in some places

Anyways, as you know, there are more similarities in boxing and long hand methods, than there are differences.
    I don't recall Le mentioning anything about long hand, I do recall him giving mention to boxing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I hear they are quite the delicacy in some places

Anyways, as you know, there are more similarities in boxing and long hand methods, than there are differences.
    I don't recall Le mentioning anything about long hand, I do recall him giving mention to boxing.
    True, thats why i say its not in the punch but in the step. Have you ever seen the viet kung fu?

True, thats why i say its not in the punch but in the step. Have you ever seen the viet kung fu?
    I don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't think so...
    I have, its very like long fist. At least to what i've seen. I'm sure theres more than one style.

What style does the haymaker come from?
    When given the choice between big business and big government, choose big business. Big business never threw millions of people into gas chambers, but big government did.

"It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men" -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Hmmm...does it have to have a styled source? There are often styles with punches that are identical or virtually identical. Who's to say who did what first? Who's to say that it wasn't something just naturally developed because it is simply a human's natural tendency?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

A real "haymaker" is not just a swinging punch. Its a punch done so wildly that it leaves the striker off balance and unable to do any other technique.

As in the example below in m y sig.

Controlled, balanced, round punches are not haymakers. CLF is a perfect example of a style that has NO haymakers but many long punches.

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Drunken Ape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

A real "haymaker" is not just a swinging punch. Its a punch done so wildly that it leaves the striker off balance and unable to do any other technique.

As in the example below in m y sig.

Controlled, balanced, round punches are not haymakers. CLF is a perfect example of a style that has NO haymakers but many long punches.
    No argument there. But what was the point of your question as to what a haymaker is from?

Oh and I'm guessing the guy in the clip of your sig in 1bad65 that you're referring to that is throwing the HM?
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I would wager that the haymaker comes from all of our barbarian ancestors.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I would wager that the haymaker comes from all of our barbarian ancestors.
    All systems have it.

Cung Le isn't TCMA rants in

I thin Cung Le answered that issue adequately in the most recent issue of Kung Fu Magazine.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

On Vietnamese Kung Fu

This seems to be an issue with some Cung Le critics that don't know much about Vietnamese Kung Fu. So here's some background. You'll find Thieu Lam: Chinese Kung Fu Transplanted in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam by Antonio Graceffo. in our present 2008 July/August issue, right after the Cung Le cover story. We also ran Hong Gia-Internal Art of Vietnam by Jeremy D. Crawford in our 2000 February. That used to link to the article, which was posted on their site, but now, eight years later, it just goes to their site and I can't find the article there. I should probably fix that and/or contact them.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Eastern State Mental Hospital Psych Ward, Room 12
    I'm not going to mention other martial art mags but there is a good article about the Cung Li vs. Shamrock fight and how Cung broke Shamrock's arm in another m.a. magazine. Has anyone els read it? I think it was in either last months mag or this months magazine.

By the way, I recently (about a month and a half ago) subscribed to Kung Fu magazine and have yet to recieve my first issue. How long does it take to get your 1st issue? I paid by credit card on line.

We all covered this fight.

I asked if anyone read the Black Belt version earlier. And I just got the IKF version this week.

As for your subscription, we're bimonthly, so a month and a half is possible. Two months is possible if you subscribe right when we put out an issue. What troubles me is that we're about a little over a month away from our next issue coming out, and two months and a half is too long. You should contact sales@martialartsmart.com 1-800-824-2433 to be sure.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart