Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cung Li vs. Frank Shamrock

more on the announcement

Anyone guesses on the outcome yet?
    MMA: Frank Shamrock Vs Cung Le March 29!
    Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Shamrock (23-8-2) — a UFC middleweight champion once considered the cream of the crop until he retired his title in the Octagon at UFC 25 in 1999 — has taken criticism for his choice in opponents since his return to the cage. Le (5-0) will be no different. Although an accomplished San Shou fighter, Le, 35, has had limited mixed martial arts experience. Still, the bout will likely draw record crowds.

After two three-year layoffs, Frank Shamrock stepped back into the ring against debuter Cesar Gracie, who he stopped in 21 seconds at a Strikeforce event in March 2006.

MMA legend Frank Shamrock granted The Park his first interview since the announcement that he will be facing Cung Le on March 29th in a Strikeforce/Elite XC copromotion. Among the topics touched on were:

* Why he chose to fight Le after once saying he had no interest in fighting him
    * When the YouTube videos are coming
    * Whether he plans to be a face or heel against Le
    * Why fight Le before his brother Ken Shamrock
    * The status of his fight with Ken
    * His thoughts on Ken
    * Why he believes Renzo Gracie won’t grant him a rematch
    * His thoughts on the Randy Couture situation
    * Which network passed on his reality show at the 11th hour

Shamrock is the definition of a walking sound byte and this interview was no different. Check’er out.
    Here's the link http://www.jarrypark.com/2008/01/17/...rank-shamrock/
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Anyone guesses on the outcome yet?
    The promoter makes an enormous amount of money, and Frank takes off to run his own show now that his Strikeforce contract is up.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Cung Le for the win, either by TKO or a desperate Shamrock getting himself disqualified.
    Jack Dempsey: "What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?

It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.

Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile when its bodyweight is set into fast motion."

I'm rooting for Cung. Unfortunately the cards point at Frank, but its still a fight so anyone can come out on top.

On a side note, Cung Le couldnt have picked many better guys to lose to, if lose he does.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

ttt

anyone planning on going to this fight?

Shamrock vs. Cung Le” Start Time Bumped Up

SAN JOSE, Calif. —HP Pavilion doors will open at 4:30 p.m, an hour and a half earlier than originally scheduled, for the “Shamrock vs. Cung Le” mixed martial arts mega-card on Saturday March 29th, and the first bout will begin at 5 p.m.

The main card, consisting of six fights, will commence at 6 p.m. All tickets issued as of March 2nd reflect the new start time.

Tickets for “Shamrock vs. Cung Le,” priced from $30, are on sale at the HP Pavilion box office (408-287-7070) as well as at all Ticketmaster locations (408-998-TIXS), Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com) and Strikeforce’s official website (www.Strikeforceusa.net).

In the main event, mixed martial arts legend Frank Shamrock (23-8-1), will put his Strikeforce world middleweight (185 lb. limit) title on the line against Bay Area arch-rival and undefeated world kickboxing champion turned mixed martial arts contender, Cung Le (21-0).

In another middleweight showdown, former Pride Fighting Championship star, Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos (16-11), will battle EliteXC standout, Joey “Dream Smasher” Villasenor (24-6), in a middleweight (185 lb. limit). Last week, Cyborg quickly submitted Makoto Takimoto with a heel hook in the first round of action

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, Jake Shields (20-4-1), will take on Drew “The Master” Fickett (31-5) in a welterweight (170 lb. limit) matchup. Shields is seeking his 10th consecutive victory and Fickett is looking for his 4th.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I don't support cyborg fights. They take jobs from real true-blooded Americans.
    1bad65--They Call Him Ore Ida, the Tater-Terminator
    http://www.freewebs.com/shaolinninjitsu/
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    We had to shut down our first Shaolin Ninjitsu in Shangdong when a key mistranslation of ancient scrolls led to the entire clan bowing down to incense and burning buddhas everywhere in the province.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Takeshi View Post
    Trolling? What does fishing have to do with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega-Foot View Post
    Ashida Kim taught me everything I ever needed to know about the missile dropkick.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Scott Steiner was ridiculously pumped, and had to be on mega-roids.
    I know this may sound like B.S., but I heard once that Scott Steiner actually does not do steroids. Supposedly he has an obsessive-compulsive type personality, and works out constantly...he's the kind of guy who sets his alarm for 2 am so he can wake up and eat boiled chicken to keep his protein levels up. Crazy.

The guy is a roider. Take a look at natural bodybuilders and then take a look at our modern day wrestlers and bodybuilders.

Anyone that denies the existence of roids in either industry is a moron.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

a few minutes ago

"Definitely this is my biggest fight - EVER - in my whole career, whether it's an amateur fight to a professional fight. This is the biggest. And this is a great opportunity for me to fight someone like Frank Shamrock, the legend, for the world title, the Strikeforce middleweight title." ~ Cung Le

DS & I just came back from Cung's press conference.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I am going to the fight, the promoter gave Great Grand Master Al Novak 2 tickets and he is takeing me. I PREDICT that Cung Le will when.

ok than elvis we are all relying on you to sneak a video camera in by any means possible, illegally record the fight and then post it on here immediately afterwards. this is your mission if you choose to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    ok than elvis we are all relying on you to sneak a video camera in by any means possible, illegally record the fight and then post it on here immediately afterwards. this is your mission if you choose to accept it.
    this forum will self descruct in 1 mintue.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceSteveRoy View Post
    BruceSteveRoy- I could do it, but if I got caught it could ruin the friendship between the the promoter and Great GrandMaster Novak. So I must decline.
    I will give an update on the fights.

Frank 'the Legend' Shamrock

versus sanshou...

Shamrock a survivor from MMA’s early days
    By Dave Meltzer, Yahoo! Sports Mar 17, 5:01 pm EDT

Frank Shamrock has a unique role in the nearly 15-year history of the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

He was the first truly well-rounded UFC champion, combining submission fighting on the ground and kickboxing, with quick transitions between the two. He was also one of the forerunners in recognizing the value of intense cardio training.

As an undersized light heavyweight, Shamrock was the first champion in what has been, from the day he won the title in 1997, the organization’s marquee weight class. He was the company’s top fighter for two years before walking away after his biggest career victory, over Tito Ortiz in 1999.

And Shamrock’s existence is all but completely ignored in UFC company literature.

Shamrock’s period on top, in 1998 and 1999, coincided with UFC’s low point, when most cable companies wouldn’t even air it on pay-per-view and there was no cable television outlet.

But over the long run, Shamrock (23-8-1) has emerged as a survivor. He’ll attempt to remain the only champion from the primitive days of the sport who is still one when he defends his Strikeforce middleweight title on March 29 against one-time training partner Cung Le (5-0) at the HP Pavilion in San Jose. The fight airs live on Showtime.

Shamrock didn’t fight top-level competition from late 2000 through early 2007. Therefore, he didn’t destroy his body for tiny paydays and wind up physically ruined when the real money started to come in, the fate suffered by many of his contemporaries.

When EliteXC started up in early 2007, Shamrock was the group’s first major signing coming out of the blocks, getting a $1.8 million deal for six fights and returning to the national spotlight.

Roundabout road

Shamrock, born Frank Juarez, is the adopted brother of UFC legend Ken Shamrock. Shamrock won his UFC title less than two years into his career by beating Kevin Jackson with an armbar in just 16 seconds in December 1997. After beating Ortiz in 1999, which is considered the high point of his competitive career, he left the company in a contract dispute and semi-retired, figuring the sport in the U.S. was going nowhere.

When current owners Zuffa LLC bought UFC in 2001, Shamrock was originally part of the announcing team, but left when the company wanted him to sign an exclusive contract. Since that time, Shamrock and UFC president Dana White have engaged in a noted public feud. Besides each calling the other names, the problems included a lawsuit filed by UFC toward Shamrock over a DVD of a Shamrock match in World Extreme Cagefighting, which took place years before Zuffa, the UFC parent company, purchased the WEC. But with the WEC name on the box, since Zuffa now owns the WEC, Zuffa alleged trademark infringement. The case was recently settled out of court.

White did make a lucrative attempt to sign Shamrock in 2006, but Shamrock figured, correctly, that he could better call the shots in his own career by being a name fighter who isn’t in UFC.

Next in line

Shamrock’s next foe, Le, is a 35-year old former Vietnamese refugee who has been the martial arts hero in his home town of San Jose for more than a decade. Le has the flashiest stand-up style in the sport, but he’s still unproven against top-level opposition.

There is little question the fight will be the toughest test for the undefeated Le, whose wins have all ended via stoppages from kicks or punches. Le is known for using an array of crazy kicks out of martial arts movies that history had demonstrated don’t work in MMA competition. Thus far he’s made them work, but this will be the first time he uses them against legitimate major opposition.

There has been impatience from some fight fans to see Le, who has been in MMA for only two years, against top competition. Because he’s been a well-known name in the martial arts world since the mid-90s, and a king of San Shou-style fighting, there were always questions as to how his style – which includes strong takedowns and strong takedown defense – would fare against the top-level MMA fighters.

Shamrock, who trained with Le years ago, and admitted Le was ahead of him as a striker in those days, believes that impatience has made him ask for the match a little early in his all-around MMA development.

“I’m going to punch him in the chin,” said Shamrock. “I’m going to stand right in front of him and force him to fight. By round two, he’s going to be going for the takedown because he’s not going to like when he gets hit. I don’t think he’s got a chin.”

The 35-year old Shamrock also believes the entertaining kicks Le throws, which he said are not bio-mechanically correct, will cause him to tire faster. Stamina is more of a factor in a five-round title fight, although both Shamrock and trainer Maurice Smith insist it’s not going five rounds. Shamrock believes Le has gotten away with his kicking style in previous fights because of superior athletic ability.

“I said back in 1999 that striking was the direction the sport was going to go,” he said. “It’s also what the fans want to see.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's going down in San Jose

Here's my 'official' take on it, exclusive on our e-zine.

Cung Le Knows the Way to San Jose. It's through Frank Shamrock.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips