Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tai Chi as medicine

Nice article about Muskegon/Grand Rapids tai chi. Our class (Sifu Li) always does a tai chi/kung fu demo at the Asian Center's health fair in September. I have diabetes and arthritis in the lower lumbar area. My training has helped with both conditions.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

not sure if this has been written about, but in a recent Prevention Magazine article mentioned how taiji protects the nervous system and increases feeling in the limbs as people age.

there are way too many reasons why taiji is practiced for preventitive and medicinal effects.

increases balance, coordinatiohn, lowers blood pressure, improves brain function, protects and rehabs nervous system, etc, etc, etc

of course it's going to decrease BP, arthritis, generalized inflammation, etc....

because it's movement guys, get over it: intentioned, conscious, parasympathetic activating movement, often with 80 to 100% weightbearing on a single lower extremity, which, among other things, is going to have a big impact on lymphatic drainage of the lower quarter and balance capacity will improve dramatically as well, especially in the group most studied for that effect, namely geriatric population, which is going to stand to have the most dramatic statistical gains in balance because they are in general doing poorly in that area to begin with;

and it's social - show me it gets the same effects if people were made to practice alone instead of in a group, that would be surprising...

nothing wrong w/taiji as such, but there's nothing that special about the form or moves per se from a therapeutic perspective; I would bet good $ that if you took a group and taught then "placebo" taiji (e.g. - a made-up form, for example), you'd have the same results;

research is good, but there's a common denominator here that has not yet been explored, and I would suggest it's a research bias that ignores it...

let the hating commence

For the record Chris, I'll back you up. Us medical people know it, but those who have little to no medical knowledge read into it what they want to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    For the record Chris, I'll back you up. Us medical people know it, but those who have little to no medical knowledge read into it what they want to see!
    I'm trying to feel the hate here, but it just doesn't seem to be getting through; search your feelings, let the anger within you give you power; strike me down and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    I'm trying to feel the hate here, but it just doesn't seem to be getting through; search your feelings, let the anger within you give you power; strike me down and your journey to the Dark Side will be complete!
    Heavy breathing.....sweat beading up....

.........eyes bulging....rage building........reason........dis.....a.......ppea r........ing......

......AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!........

"You poo poo head!"

.....heaving chest.......pounding headache.......

the echo in my mind of....

There is no try....there is only doo doo,

or doo doo not!!!

There is no try....there is only doo doo,

or doo doo not!!!
    pure spectographication!

pure spectographication!
    Uhhhh......that's what you think.......ummmm....

...you got any extra toilet paper over there?

Uhhhh......that's what you think.......ummmm....

...you got any extra toilet paper over there?
    sorry, I don't have a square to spare...

sorry, I don't have a square to spare...
    THAT was YOU????????

THAT was YOU????????
    I can't believe you don't remember our first time!

I can't believe you don't remember our first time!
    Uhhh!......we ARE talking about the first time I tried to KILL you, RIGHT???

Uhhh!......we ARE talking about the first time I tried to KILL you, RIGHT???
    Of course! It was a magical night!

But anyway, taiji - that's some good medicine, huh?
    [mightily pulls on switch, gets thread back on track just in time to avoid massive derailment]

Of course! It was a magical night!

But anyway, taiji - that's some good medicine, huh?
    [mightily pulls on switch, gets thread back on track just in time to avoid massive derailment]
    Oh Yeah...Right!!

I take two every morning to avoid getting a stroke...

because it's movement guys, get over it: intentioned, conscious, parasympathetic activating movement, often with 80 to 100% weightbearing on a single lower extremity, which, among other things, is going to have a big impact on lymphatic drainage of the lower quarter and balance capacity will improve dramatically as well, especially in the group most studied for that effect, namely geriatric population, which is going to stand to have the most dramatic statistical gains in balance because they are in general doing poorly in that area to begin with;

and it's social - show me it gets the same effects if people were made to practice alone instead of in a group, that would be surprising...

nothing wrong w/taiji as such, but there's nothing that special about the form or moves per se from a therapeutic perspective; I would bet good $ that if you took a group and taught then "placebo" taiji (e.g. - a made-up form, for example), you'd have the same results;

research is good, but there's a common denominator here that has not yet been explored, and I would suggest it's a research bias that ignores it...

let the hating commence

so, in your perspective, do you disclude the traditional chinese medicinal practices that go along with good quality taiji?

anyways, i do agree that there can be types of exercise with many of the same benefits. i am just curious as to where you stand - as i am new here. but not new to internal boxing and qigong.

btw, personally, i do feel that the specific requirements to be able to even do the form somewhat correctly and that type of motion makes a big difference from a standard rehabilitation type exercise. of course if u mimic the same type of work, u will get some/most similiar results. almosts sounds like you are trying to descredit - and i am not saying you are for the record.

and, i am going into the health field btw, as my mom had been in the health field before as a nurse - but i am more into physical therapy and kinesiology. so i do a bit of homework on movement in relation to effects on the human body.

not meaning to be judgemental at all, just wanna see what your veiws are.