Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hybrids

New Hybrids

Is Buda Khi another April Fool's prank? Who cares? I thought it'd be useful to have a place to put stuff like this. It's akin to our Nia thread.

Horse stance to upper block
    Posted: April 1, 2008

This exercise is among 650 moves created as a part of cardio fitness program called Buda Khi, originated by L.J. Easley of Indianapolis about 13 years ago. Buda Khi is a martial arts-based exercise programs consisting of kicks and punches, followed by core exercises, stretching and calming Tai Chi moves.

Easley has studied martial arts for 25 years and was a three-time silver medalist in martial arts at the 2000 World Cup Games. He offers Buda Khi classes at his World Training Center, 140 S. Girls School Road (www.ljeasleyswtc.com), Core Fitness Club in Mooresville, Brick House Fitness in Indianapolis and Microtel Inn & Suites. He describes the class as a total body workout, concentrating on the upper body and core. He also offers private and group karate and self-defense classes.

This exercise, demonstrated by instructor Tara Shepard-Long, strengthens your quads, inner thighs, abs, forearms and shoulder muscles.

Step 1: Stand with your feet about two feet apart in the "horse stance," as if straddling a horse. Bend your knees at a 45-degree angle and hold your arms at waist level, slightly bent, with your fists facing upward and elbows back.

Step 2: Bring left arm up above the head at a 45-degree angle, with the palm facing down and the other hand at your waist. Keep your knees bent.

Step 3: Reverse arms, bringing your right arm up and the left arm back to the waist level, with your fist facing upward.

Repetitions: Repeat exercise rapidly for at least 30 seconds.

Tips: Keep abdominal muscles tightened and your back straight. To make the exercise harder, spread your feet ****her apart.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I would Buda Khi a few of his students.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I would Buda Khi a few of his students.
    I hear those hand/wrist wraps are good for Carpal Tunnel syndrome
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

or maybe the Buda Khi bowling team...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

once more, into the fray

I was going to post this on the Bollywood thread, but I think it sits better here.

THE FIGHT CLUB
    Updated: Tuesday , April 29, 2008 at 10:52:42

Long before power yoga served up instant health, a sensei from Delhi was working on another ancient fitness form. In 1992, Sanjay Shakya, a black belt in kung fu with added knowledge of taekwondo, judo and karate, mixed elements of these martial arts to create a self-defence form called fraykido (fray means fight).

One of the highlights of fraykido is that students don’t have to labour for years — one can become a black belt in 26 months. Little wonder that like all capsule courses, this one has grown in popularity in the last 15 years. Today, Shakya’s Fraykido Martial Art Training Centre in Karawal Nagar has 35 students from 5 to 30-year-olds. And with the summer holidays approaching, Shakya receives calls for home tuitions every day.

“Modern life is about packing in as much as possible in limited time. With fraykido one can learn self defence relatively faster,” explains Shakya. Fraykido is a mixed martial art style, heavily based on kung fu, with the kicking techniques of taekwondo, karate’s hand movements and exercises to toughen the body and some elements from Jeet Kune Do. “We start with teaching self-defence moves and then combine it with flexibility exercises,” he says.

The course also includes training children with sticks, rubber nanchaks and knives for demonstration. “A child will then know how to defend himself with these weapons,” says Shakya before emphasising that all self-defence forms stress on saving oneself from assault rather than “beating up people, as parents fear”. “We are trying to build confidence in boys, girls and women so that they can hit back when they are cornered,” he adds.

Fraykido, however, is also about internal defence against disease. Hence, every session ends with a round of yoga. Amit Pathak, 21, a sub-broker in the stock market, joined the training center 10 days ago and regularly practices breathing exercises at home. “I already feel much more calm from within,” he says.

Purists may dismiss fraykido as a fad, but Shakya is confident that he has found the right formula to initiate students into the rigours of other martial art forms. His innovate technique has survived for more than a decade and looks good for several more years.

For more details contact www.fraykido.cabanova.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

man anyone can make a martial art nowdays

Martial Arts Trick Dancing

I've heard of trickers. It's common MA slang. But I haven't heard it called "Martial Arts Trick Dancing". That was worthy enough to be posted here. Besides this thread needed a little ttt.

Martial Arts Trick Dancing At Creative Discovery Museum Saturday
    posted May 29, 2008

Local athletes Corey Diamond and Travis Ford will demonstrate a new and mostly underground style of sport movement called "martial arts trick dancing" or "tricking" at Creative Discovery Museum, on Saturday at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

According to Mr. Diamond, "Martial arts tricking is an aesthetic blend of kicks, flips and twists combining martial arts, gymnastics, and break dancing all into one."

Tricking incorporates techniques from a variety of martial arts, including Wushu, Taekwondo and Capoeira, a fighting style developed in the 16th century by African slaves in Brazil who had to disguise it as dance. The main trick dancing movement is in California, with a few groups around the U.S. and in Europe. Mr. Diamond only knows of four or five other trick dancers in Chattanooga.

Trick dancing is high energy and very fast, featuring both flipping and twisting in mid air as well as break-dance style moves that are low to the ground. "It's fun to do. It's all about pushing yourself past your own limits and at the same time knowing your limits so you don't push too far," said Mr. Diamond. "It really will build your self esteem. You'll think this is crazy, I feel just like Spider-Man. It's a great way to work out. It's extreme cardio. I'm skinny as a stick because of it."

Mr. Diamond is planning to major in business management at UTC and hopes eventually to open his own Taekwando school. He began trick dancing about four years ago after studying Taekwondo when a friend showed him a tricking video from the Internet. Eventually the two both attended UTC, where a friendly competition kept them practicing trick dancing. "We do stuff all over campus. People stop and stare. There are several spots on campus where we can be found flipping around."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Choi-Bo

The Enlightened Warrior Workout.
    Choi-Bo is a completely new, professionally designed, FUN workout routine to music from Anthony Aurelius - ‘The UK’s No.1 Fitness Expert’.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Budoken

"Budokon also spells (eventual) Buffdom"
    Balance body and soul with Budokon - a fusion of yoga, martial arts and meditation
    By Emine Ali Rushton
    Last updated at 11:50 AM on 16th June 2008

Budoken is the US fitness craze du jour: Courteney Cox Arquette and husband David, Jennifer Aniston, Meg Ryan and model Amber Valletta are among its many fans in LA, addicted to its physically punishing, yet spiritually uplifting blend of yoga, martial arts and meditation.

If you want the sort of rippling, lithe bod that LA ladies who (don't) lunch sport, Budokon is the way to attain it - and it has just arrived on our shores, courtesy of the Reebok Gym in Canary Wharf.

I'd heard the number of calories burned in an hour could reach 900 - 300 more than an hour's spinning, and without the risk of mind-numbing boredom or lower backache. But I admit I was cynical as I walked into my first class: I like my workout to leave me sweaty but I don't expect mystic mumbo jumbo to go with it.
    workout

WHAT IS IT?

But that was before I met Ryan Carldon-Miah, Budokon's UK director. A disciple of Budokon's founder, Cameron Shayne, he lived and studied under his "Sensei" for three months and completed a year's training before taking a teaching role. Budokon, he says, changed his life. He's very convincing.

There's no denying he has a body so honed you'd expect it to be insured for more than J-Lo's rear end - but unlike some gym preeners, Ryan's slender frame also displays agility and speed - something Budokon gives the body in spades.

Meaning "way of the spiritual warrior" in Japanese, Budokon is essentially a fluid, and organic way of returning the body to a natural, instinctive and super-fit state. In fact, a key part of Budokon comes from adopting animal postures, walking on your hands and feet imitating lions, frogs and gorillas. Once I'd overcome the embarrassment, it was quite fun, even if I did make a lumbering lion.

THE THREE DISCIPLINES

Every class involves three disciplines: meditation, martial arts and yoga. The order varies depending on the day, as Ryan believes in working with the mood of the class. Having attended a couple of classes, I think this is a strong selling point - it means you never get complacent and your body is always acquiring new skills.

The common theme between all three disciplines is "instinct". Modern lifestyles are often blamed for everything from obesity to stress and Ryan believes Budokon addresses our dystopian existence more successfully than any other exercise.

He explained: "We spend our time standing and sitting. We're at home on the sofa or at our desks; we're waiting for the bus or queuing at the supermarket.

"Budokon is about getting people to remember how they moved as kids, to unearth those instincts. As a kid you spent all day rolling and running around and rarely got injured, because kids are tuned in to their bodies.

"They're not exercising, they're 'playing' - that's what we try to achieve with Budokon - functional strength from a fluid and fun practice." So, not so much mumbo jumbo, rather common sense.

THE WARM-UP

During the stretching, special attention was paid to the wrists, which were in for an extreme workout. We then went into a series of yoga stances. Some were familiar, downward dog for example, but others developed into spinning moves and positions that stretched the body and seemed to pinpoint previously ignored muscles.

It was tough, but everyone worked at their own pace and Ryan encouraged participants to try variations on poses if they could not manage it first time around.

There was also a lot of laughing and a positive vibe in the class, helping me to stop analysing what my bottom must look like to the people behind me, and focus instead on the innate joy of moving my body in this dynamic, if alien, way.

BRUCE LEE LEAPS

The martial arts were my favourite part. Budokon is, like all martial arts, something you can study and gain belts in - even taking up weapons and combat training in the upper echelons. As beginners, we worked on side- and forward-facing punches, blocks and kicks.

We even tried flying jumps - the sort of thing Bruce Lee was famous for - which Ryan demonstrated with awe-inspiring ease. Okay, so I only made it about four centimetres off the floor and almost fell over when I landed, but it was fun. And it gave my thighs a workout too.

THE VERDICT

The hour ended with meditation and breathing exercises. I felt my body had been seriously tested, but was also invigorated, whereas yoga often leaves me zoned out.

It's great for those of us who like to play rough, but Budokon also promotes agility, tone and grace. It gives every muscle an extraordinary workout. And one need only look at Ryan's rippling torso to know that Budokon also spells (eventual) Buffdom.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

BodyCombat

Not really new. Pretty rehashed actually...
    Kick it into gear
    BodyCombat classes fight off stress and calories with choreographed cardio.
    By CAROLINE DOHACK of the Tribune’s staff
    Published Sunday, October 12, 2008

Curtis Pipes, center, leads a BodyCombat class, a fast-paced martial arts-inspired group workout, Tuesday at Wilson’s Total Fitness.

It gets loud in Kelly Becker’s class. "Everybody yells," Becker said. "We’ll ask for a little scream or a grunt or a kee-yah. You gotta use your voice."

Latifa Kalic, left, participates in a Body Combat class Tuesday at Wilson’s.

Grunting and screaming are a no-no in the weight room at Wilson’s Total Fitness, but they’re par for the course in the BodyCombat class. BodyCombat is a Les Mills martial arts-inspired cardio workout program developed as a response to the cardio kickboxing fad of the 1990s, Holly Rennels, editor and staff contributor for SCW Fitness and Les Mills Midwest, said in an e-mail.

Today, program directors Dan Cohen and Rachael Cohen combine their diverse martial arts experience and dance training into the format, Rennels said. They update the choreography every three months and add new music.

WHERE TO FIND A CLASS

BodyCombat must be taught by Les Mills-certified trainers at licensed facilities. Find classes at:

Wilson’s Total Fitness-South: 2902 Forum Blvd., 446-3232

Wilson’s Total Fitness-Females in Training: 2900 Forum Blvd., 442-5425

Key Largo Fitness and Tanning: 16 N. Tenth St., 874-0800

Music is a key component to BodyCombat and other Les Mills programs. The music not only sets the mood for the class, but it also sets the tempo. "Usually it goes with the eight-count," Becker said. "If you listen to music, you can usually find it. You can count it in there. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, and then it starts over. What they’ll do is match up the moves with how long it takes to do it within an eight-count."

And getting caught up in these numbers has definite results.

"You can feel it immediately because you walk out of there dripping with sweat. You know you’ve done something right," Becker said.

As with any workout plan, perseverance pays off. "You will see changes in your body, and it’s fun," Becker said.

Although it’s considered a high-impact workout, it is adaptable to people of various fitness levels. "It’s a great way to get an hour of cardio in and have a little bit more fun than just running on the treadmill or elliptical" trainer, Becker said.

Although group fitness classes usually attract mostly women, Becker says the battle element of BodyCombat appeals to men as well. BodyCombat is not a self-defense class, but martial arts elements, including karate, boxing, tae kwon do, tai chi and muay thai, are inherent.

"They really" expect "their instructors to be superauthentic," Becker said.

And even if they’re not really fighting, it’s a good way to squelch those fighting urges.

"It’s about stress relief for people, especially in the evening classes. You say, ‘Who had a bad day today?’ and you can definitely get people to go a little harder," Becker said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I was asked by a local fitness instructor/martial artist to help him in his development of,
    "Yogarate."
    I showed him some movement-of course, he wanted "some animal moves." So I obliged. He said he was working out a deal with Equinox, and it was going to be taught in all the gyms.
    As far as I know, it hasn't.
    I worked with him twice,
    and then I started to catch a wierd vibe.
    guys in spandex and tanktops give me the willies.
    (GreenCloud, might know who this guy is, if he's from my neck of the woods. He used to teach some sort of hybrid Muay Thai thing.)
    anyway, I didn't want to be affiliated with him, or anything that sounded like,

...."Yogarate" (ack!)

we really need a barfing smilie
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

New fitness craze indeed.

You all really want to click the link for information on the exercise DVD and complete business system. You know you do. Click it.

Kung-Fu Fitness Combines An Ancient Martial Art With Modern Exercise Science To Create A New Fitness Craze
    October 17, 2008

Kung-fu Fitness burns 800 calories per hour and teaches self-defense.

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA (PRnine - October 17, 2008) - Kung-fu is one of the oldest martial arts. In ancient times, kung-fu (defined as ‘discipline through hard work’) was first used as a form of exercise. When traveling bands of thieves would attempt to rob the monasteries, the monks learned their exercises were effective as self-defense. Over time, the monks would watch and learn from animal and insect fights. As a result, Tiger, Eagle Claw, Snake, Praying Mantis and even Monkey kung-fu were developed. Kung-fu Fitness is a hybrid of ancient kung-fu, group exercise and fun self-defense training.

Kung-fu Fitness was developed by John Spencer Ellis, a 2nd degree black belt in kung-fu, fitness professional and boot camp instructor from Bravo’s The Real Housewives of Orange County. “Kung-fu Fitness is different than other kickboxing-type of workouts for several reasons. It has smooth circular movements, rather than hard linear moves. It is easier on your joints.” states Ellis. “In addition, you are taught self-defense applications, instead of fancy dance moves,” he adds.

Kung-fu Fitness can be purchased as a consumer workout DVD, or a complete turn-key business system for martial artists or personal trainers to use to grow their business. The business system includes a complete training course, instructional videos, manual, test, marketing materials and national certification. Information on the exercise DVD and complete business system is available at http://www.kungfufitness.com.

About John Spencer Ellis

John Spencer Ellis is the CEO of the National Exercise and Sports Trainers Association, Spencer Institute for Life Coaching and the Get America Fit Foundation. He is also the Executive Producer of the documentary The Compass.

###

Media Contact Information:
    Jess Felton
    Jjfelton923@yahoo.com
    http://www.kungfufitness.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fighting Fit

More yoga martial arts fusion...

Super fit to fight flab
    23 Oct 2008

Queenstown fitness fanatics Simon Chapman (left) and his sidekick Michael Graney think they’ve found the right exercise combination for weight loss and muscle-building.

Martial arts expert Chapman and yoga pro Graney have blended their skills thai boxing, kick boxing and power yoga to create Fighting Fit – a new type of class they claim sheds kilos for their students.

“We want fitness and strength that you can go and use in everyday life,” says former bodybuilder Chapman.

“We don’t want big, dumb muscles – we want fast, smart muscles.”

No weights or charging up hills are required – it’s all done outdoors in the surrounds of Queenstown Gardens three times a week.

The Fighting Fit duo is holding a free demonstration at the Gardens on Saturday at 1.30pm before their second six-week course starts on November 3.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Where do people get the idea that training to fight makes you "fit" and healthy?
    Its like any other sport, while you get fit for the sport, it also makes you pay for it.
    Training a fighting system for fitness and health is one thing, training to use it in a fight or to be a fighter is another.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Bajra

I was really torn on this - perhaps it should have gone on our Bollywood fu thread.

The attack of the killer bee
    Founder of Milwaukie martial arts studio helps Nepal go Hollywood
    By Matthew Graham
    The Clackamas Review, Oct 28, 2008, Updated 2.7 hours ago

Shuny Bee, founder of Bee Martial Arts Academy, shows reporter Matthew Graham some of the finer points of martial arts.

More than two decades ago, Nepal native Shuny Bee was working as a teenage actor in Bombay, India, doing commercials and TV shows, hoping for Bollywood stardom. A friend of his traveled from Nepal to enlist his help in rescuing two girls who had been brought to Bombay and sold into prostitution.

Bee and his friend risked their lives to take on a monolithic crime syndicate to free the girls and return them to Nepal.

Now 39 years old, Bee has written and stars in a film about the incident, “Gorkha Rakshyak” or “The Gorkha Protector,” which premieres in Portland on Saturday, Nov. 1, at the Hollywood Theatre. Gorkha is another name for the people of Nepal, which is where the movie was filmed and produced.

In the film, a fictional work based on the actual events, Bee’s character has spent his life in a Buddhist monastery meditating and training his body, mind and spirit. He experiences enlightenment in the form of a new concept of martial arts, which he calls Bajra. (“Bajra” is a Sanskrit word meaning “thunderbolt.”)

Upon leaving the monastery he encounters a world of gang violence and drugs, which he dedicates his life to fighting.

The film also stars Oregonian Robert Madrigal, 38, who has trained with Bee for about 10 years. In the film, Madrigal plays a student learning the philosophy and principles of the Bajra technique.

Bee operates Bee Martial Arts Academy on Southeast McLoughlin Boulevard in Milwaukie and spent 12 years developing the unique fighting style showcased in the film.

“Bajra martial art is more economic, direct, more strictly for survival,” Bee said. “You disable the opponent, and you get out. I studied a lot about the body and the pressure points. You don’t need to be a really powerful man to injure the eyes, just a little finger jab; the opponent is blinking their eyes, you escape. Same with the groin.”

The 39-year-old martial arts master holds a sixth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. He wrote a book on how to use nunchaku, a martial arts weapon, and produced a DVD tutorial based on it.

Following the recognition he received demonstrating the Bajra method in Long Beach, Calif. in 2005, Bee was encouraged to finish writing the script he’d been working on for years.

“I was doing the Black Belt magazine festival, which is like the Oscars night for us martial artists,” he explains. “I did a demonstration in front of Bruce Lee’s wife and a lot of big celebrities, and they really admired my performance. And after that, Black Belt magazine wrote about me, ‘He’s amazing.’”

Akash Adhikari directed the film, which Bee hopes will bring further recognition to his martial arts style as well as to Nepal.

“This is definitive for me and all the Nepalese people, this is pride,” Bee says “I’m getting many e-mails from all over the world. This is a big thing for the Nepalese people.”

World premiere of “Gorkha Rakshyak” or “The Gorkha Protector,” 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 1, Hollywood Theatre, 4122 N.E. Sandy Blvd., 503-281-4215, $12.

For more information or to watch the trailer, visit www.beemartialarts.com
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips