Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hybrids

(Ecclesiastes 1:9-14 NIV) What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

"The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Is it yoga or...?

The unconventional yoga postures here look awfully familiar.

Shadow Yoga
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Chi running

Does this mean you run really really slowly?
    Chi running a new way to pound the pavement
    By Krista Charke, Daily NewsAugust 6, 2009

Efficiency and relaxation are the focus of new running clinic workshops popping up in Nanaimo, across Canada and around the world.

Chi running is the brain child of American ultramarathoner Danny Dreyer, who after several years of practicing TaiChi, began to combine the techniques used in TaiChi with his running. The new running style is said to be easier on the body and benefits are noticed immediately. There are only five certified instructors in Canada and Nanaimo's Donna Spencer of Women's Pace is one of them.

The 53-year-old running coach has put hundreds of thousands of miles on her legs and body over the years, pounding the pavement because of her passion to run. But it has not been so easy and pain free since she discovered the practice of Chi running.

The main idea is to work with gravity and let it pull you forward, while the position of your feet will stop you from falling. It sounds a little scary, being a bit of a klutz myself, but I always say I'd try anything at least once, especially if it might make me feel lighter on my feet. Instead of pushing off the ground with your toes, the mid-foot is supposed to peel off the ground. That is just one of many techniques to learn.

When it comes down to it, it's about paying more attention to ones physical alignment and mental relaxation during a run, than speed. Although, Spencer proclaims her pace has actually increased since she began studying Chi running in September.

"Now I feel like the earth is spinning underneath me. It makes you a faster and more efficient runner. " she said.

Spencer's Chi running workshops are open to all levels of runners from beginners to advanced. The next class will be at the Nanaimo Aquatic Centre from 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Aug. 23.

For more information or to register call 250-713-9453.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Core-a-te

I almost posted this in the What's Up with USSD? thread but I figured it would get buried there.
    Core-a-te: conditioning meets martial arts
    Meredith May, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Monday, November 8, 2010

Whitney Arnautou (front) developed Core-a-te after she couldn't find a class in isometric core conditioning for martial artists.

Before entering the dojo, Whitney Arnautou had her students contemplate a daily saying:

"Accept change. It is inevitable. ... In ourselves. Our bodies. Our relationships. Our Jobs. Understand that it's happening every day, and try to move with the changes - gracefully."

Minds centered, it was time for Core-a-te, a new exercise class at the United Studios of Self Defense in San Francisco that combines karate, self-defense and a kick-in-the-pants core workout.

Arnautou, a Shaolin Kenpo black belt and fitness instructor, designed the one-hour workout to bring her students physical and spiritual balance.

Abdominal crunches include kicks to an imaginary attacker's groin. Students strengthen their arms by learning how to break out of a neck hold. Push-ups are done in the yoga tiger position.

"If you practice it enough, you will build muscle memory so if you ever have to defend yourself, it will come automatically," Arnautou said.

Core-a-te is "subtle karate" - designed for newcomer white belts without martial arts backgrounds.

Arnautou first offered the class in March, after noticing many of her beginner martial arts students were getting winded. They could get into their forms and spar, but had no endurance.

She searched for a class that combined isometric core conditioning for martial artists but found nothing. So she secured the Core-a-te domain name and started teaching it herself. She added a second class to meet demand in September.

"I feel like if I don't do this class, I am setting myself up for back problems," said tennis player Julie Feldstein, 51.

"Your core is vital for any sport, but, as athletes, you can neglect it when you train in the same movements over and over."

Students who work their core for an hour twice a week can begin to see results in about a month, Arnautou said.

Julie Whitcomb, 51, feels stronger after six months of Core-a-te, but the biggest change is in her attitude toward exercising.

"I love starting the week this way, incorporating the balance drills, meditation and movements," she said. "This is a welcome place; there's no intimidating gym feeling."

In a recent class, Arnautou turned the stereo to Taio Cruz's "Break Your Heart," and led students through a series of kicks while holding her wrists in a protective boxer's stance.

Next students balanced on one foot.

"Now shut your eyes," Arnautou said. "See how much harder it is when you remove one of your senses."

After an hour of crunches, planks, leg lifts and power punches, it was time to retire to the backyard koi pond for some green tea.

The eight women gathered in the garden for another half hour, telling stories.

It was the right balance of socializing and exercising that Arnautou found lacking in the gyms where she used to work.

"Core-a-te is all about learning and growing at one's own pace," she said. "I feel that balance is imperative to this whole process of aging gracefully."

Core-a-te class: 8:45-9:45 a.m. Mon. and Thurs. United Studios of Self Defense, 2424 Lombard St., S.F. $20 per class or $150 for a 10-class pass. (415) 771-5186
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My apologies in advance

I could not resist posting this here. It's the stocking stuffer you all need for sure.

Disco Dojo DVD
    Item# disco-dojo-dvd
    $14.95

Product Description
    Enter the Disco Dojo, where dance meets martial arts in the ultimate low-impact cardio fat-burning workout!!! Punch, kick, laugh, move, and GROOVE your way into a sleeker slimmer more muscular YOU, while exercising to a funk-inspired retro-groovy soundtrack. Disco Dojo concludes with a "Chi" inspired cool down stretch, and BONUS sections include a 70's After-Party, and the hilariously inspiring positive "AFRO-mations."

Great for all shapes, sizes, and levels of exercisers.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jendo

Filipino martial art Jendo debuts in Europe in February
    By Lily O Ramos
    January 26, 2011, 3:54am

MANILA, Philippines, Jan. 25 (PNA) - Jendo, a Filipino martial art founded by Jonathan "June" Abaya in 1973 is making a big splash in Europe as preparations are underway for its maiden appearance in the 3rd International Martial Arts Games (IMAG) from February 23 to 27 in Tallinn, Estonia, the European capital of Culture.

Grandmaster Abaya, who conceived the martial art using empty-hand techniques and traditional Filipino weapons, added that it was an honor for the Manila-based International Jendo Federation (IJF) to oversee the competition which is expected to draw athletes from at least 12 nations.

Abaya who heads the IJF said he and his colleagues are hoping that the sport will gain a much bigger following after the event like South Korea's taekwondo, Japan's karate-do and wrestling or China's shaolin.

“Jendo will be a medal sport in the Games for the first time and we hope it will catch on in the Estonia sportfest,” said Abaya in Tuesday's PSA Forum at the Shakey UN Avenue branch in Ermita, Manila.

The countries that have confirmed to see action in the tournament are Italy, United States, Australia, Nepal, India, Iran, Bangladesh, Hong Kong, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Syria.

According to Abaya, the IJF won the nod to have jendo compete as a regular event in the 3rd IMAG after it was made a demonstration sport at the second edition of the meet in Bangkok, Thailand two years ago.

At the forum sponsored by PAGCOR and Outlast Battery, Abaya gave a brief demo of the sport by executing some of the jendo’s techniques by sparring with national team member Anthony Morales.

IJF vice president president Gilbert Artificio disclosed that the sparring competition, which will be done atop a regular boxing ring, will consist of three rounds, with a round lasting three minutes each and a minute break in-between rounds.

The divisions will be from the kiddies 8 to 13 years old, young adult 14-17 and adult 18-above.

While Filipinos are expected to dominate the event, Iran, which invited Abaya to a five-day workshop, Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan are expected to put up a strong fight for major honors, Artificio said.
    Perhaps this isn't a hybrid. Here's an official-ish site: Jendo Federation Philippines
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

intenSati

Clever name. Very catchy.
    Mix of workout and shout-out, intenSati in Bay Area
    Meredith May, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Monday, January 31, 2011

Lea Suzuki / The Chronicle
    Tamra Sattler (foreground) shouts affirmations during an intenSati class, which got its start in 2002 in New York.

Fourteen women face the mirror in warrior pose.

"Hey! Are you committed?" their fitness instructor calls out.

"Yes!" they roar in response.

"Will you play full out?"

"Without any doubt!" the students yell back, now throwing boxing punches.

Cher booms through the stereo, "Do You Believe in Life After Love?" The women crouch down, slap the floor and jump.

It's not aerobics. It's not therapy. It's not yoga or martial arts or cheerleading practice.

It's all of it.

IntenSati, a new cardio class making its way to the West Coast from New York, has students tone their bodies and minds by shouting affirmations as they exercise.

Started in 2002 at Equinox Fitness Clubs in New York, intenSati now has 150 trainers, hundreds of classes throughout the United States, Canada and Japan. The model Iman is a fan.

Creator Patricia Moreno has more than 60 men and women show up for each of her five weekly intenSati classes in Manhattan. Her new movements morphed into an actual movement, and in 2010 Moreno published "The intenSati Method - Seven Secret Principles to Thinner Peace."

Secret No. 1? Add a little self-love to your squats.

"What's been missing from the whole fitness industry, basically, is love," said Moreno, who describes herself as a "mind-body life coach."

"If you love your body only when it's thin, that's conditional love," Moreno said. "If you say things to yourself that are powerful and lovely, encouraging and optimistic, while putting effort into it, you are being the healing that you need."

Growing up in an obese family of 10 brothers and sisters, Moreno hit 200 pounds by age 12, and although she matured to a healthy weight, she always struggled with her self-image.

She got the idea for intenSati while running on a beach and shouting affirmations as part of a workshop led by the empowerment guru Anthony Robbins.

"Even though I wasn't fat anymore, I was always running from the fat girl instead of leaving the idea of me being fat behind," she said.

Her shift in perception hit her like a current. She realized that much of the fitness industry motivates from the premise that you don't like yourself, and working out is only a means to lose weight or to sculpt buns of steel. What if exercise could be a portal to honoring yourself, to quieting the critical mind and focusing on what you want to achieve for your life?

She combined the word intention and sati, which means mindfulness in the ancient Sri Lankan Buddhist Pali language, to make a play on the word intensity. She combined spiritual teachings from Deepak Chopra, Pema Chodron and Anthony Robbins into a high-intensity routine designed to burn 650 to 800 calories in an hour.

Eileen McCarthy, a therapist and fitness instructor who began teaching intenSati in Mill Valley in August 2009, starts each class by asking students to pick a goal for the workout while they warm up with stretches, asking them to take full responsibility for their lives, bodies and health.

"Do you look to others to determine if you are a success? How about looking inward? Only YOU know!" she said, starting off a recent morning class at Roco Dance and Fitness in Mill Valley.

The class is split into three choreographed sections. Students learn a series of yoga, martial arts and cardio moves, each one accompanying a call and response chant. After learning the steps, McCarthy combines them into a longer dance sequence.

The repetition of the steps and affirmations meld into a full-body mantra. The workout starts with calming stretches, and quickly transforms into a heart-pumping series of punches, kicks, jumps and imaginary basketball dribbles.

Marcy Schaaf of Mill Valley became a devotee after wandering into an intenSati class when her weight-lifting class was overcrowded. She's been coming for three months straight.

"I find myself repeating the affirmations throughout the day," said Schaaf. "Somehow, saying it while you are working out anchors it in your body."

Students regularly ask to record McCarthy so they can take her words with them on vacation. One mother uses the affirmations to calm her son before he takes the plate at baseball games.

After her first intenSati class, Jan Hiti of Mill Valley felt serenity.

"I have been having some issues at home, and this class made feel like I'm OK; I am in control," she said.

McCarthy was living in New York when a friend suggested intenSati as a way to get her energy back after her brother died. Halfway through, she wanted to sit down. The trainer asked her whether she was going to give up or keep on going.

"It hit me on so many levels," McCarthy said. "IntenSati affects you if you are ready to see things and make changes. Saying what you want out loud means it's no longer a secret. Therefore you might have to do something to get it."

IntenSati Classes: 9-10 a.m. Mon., Thurs., Fri. Roco Dance & Fitness, 237 Shoreline Highway, Mill Valley. $16. 9 a.m. Tues. Osher Marin Jewish Community Center, 200 N. San Pedro Road, San Rafael. $15 members, $20 public. emcc9@hotmail.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

positive affirmations in exercise class? well I never!

great ideas.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Piloxing

The success of a lot of these new hybrids hinges upon the charisma of the leaders. Viveca here looks pretty charismatic. Click the link for a pic.
    Piloxing punches up Pilates with boxing
    Nellie Bowles, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Monday, May 16, 2011
    Liz Hafalia / The Chronicle

In the basement of the SFO Hyatt Regency, I'm barefoot and in spandex, which isn't too ridiculous. Until I put on pink boxing gloves.

I am here to check out Piloxing, the newest fitness craze - a combination of Pilates and boxing - that is about to hit San Francisco from Los Angeles (where else?) this summer. More than 200 buoyant trainers and studio owners - here to decide whether Piloxing is right for their gyms - cram into the room. The sight of all the preternaturally toned bodies makes me a little nervous.

But if anyone's up to the challenge, it's me. I have sweated through local exercise class cultures from X-Factor in the Sunset to Bar Method in the Marina, Zumba on Geary and candlelit naked yoga on Folsom.

I position myself between two taut trainers, and as I worry whether they're judging my thighs, Piloxing creator Viveca Jensen, an Amazonian blond in an overflowing pink sports bra, leaps onstage, jabs left and roars, "Do you feel sexy?" Two backup dancers appear behind her, and a rock 'n' roll mashup blasts a little too loud.

Without a word, Viveca (like Madonna, she goes by only one name) and her dancers jump, holding their arms out to the side, pumping their hips to Lady Gaga's "Born This Way." The three start throwing jabs to the left, double beat, shuffle, suddenly to the right. Arms out again for hip pumping.

The class of well-engineered trainers mirrors Jensen perfectly. I struggle to follow, tripping over my neighbor's water bottle, sending out spastic punches, leg lifting off beat.

This is not boxing. I'm not sure this is even exercise.

Before I signed up for this adventure, Viveca (mellow over tea) had told me about her childhood in Eskilstuna, Sweden, where she boxed in a rusty old gym. She had the inspiration to combine boxing and Pilates one day while she was running through Los Angeles' Runyon Canyon. Today, she runs a 2,500-square-foot studio and has trained more than 500 instructors worldwide.
    Interactive class

Suddenly, the tone in the Hyatt basement changes. I'm balancing on one leg, my torso parallel to the ground, arms straight. On the downbeat, Viveca shouts, "Pump!"

The class is interactive, the energy almost evangelical. Viveca shouts an inflected "whoo-whoo," and the crowd shouts back. She calls us sisters. The unspoken gym class code is to have as little contact with the crowd as possible. In Piloxing, we were compatriots. One woman tried to fist bump while we were holding a Pilates balancing pose.

I loved this message of sexualized female empowerment through physical prowess. Like the Amazonian women or Artemis, my childhood idols.

Piloxing may well thrive in San Francisco. On one hand, it will appeal to those who must constantly tend their springy, muscular Marina bodies. On the other, it takes the traditionally feminine mat Pilates and injects it with hyper-masculine boxing moves, making it potentially appealing to the Bernal Heights set as well.

Standing on the basement floor, we hold a squat, and Viveca booms, "Who feels powerful?"

At this point, I give in, shouting back, "I do!"

Surprisingly, I start to get into a rhythm. Heavy dance choreography links the sucker punches, hip thrusts and brutal bouts of sit-ups. There is a nightclub feel to the lines of women grinding and chanting - interval training well disguised.

At the climax, the room clenches a particularly grueling squat while Viveca whips an imaginary lasso, bumping hips first across the stage shouting, "Strong, sexy, powerful." And I can't help but laugh and whip, hardly noticing that I've started sweating profusely, various arm muscles burning. This was good exercise. The cardio dancing had my heart rate up. The glove weights got my biceps and triceps. And the bursts of Pilates sit-ups left my abdomen aching.
    Hoarse from whooping

As class ends, my voice is hoarse from whooping, my hair drenched in sweat. The trainer to my left, Reynaldo Izarry, gives me a high-five. "You don't have to get dressed all fancy and stay out late in the club to go out and get down," he says, effortlessly touching his toes.

Energized and disoriented, I rest my hands on my knees and catch my breath.

I look up to see Viveca smiling down at me. In a comforting voice, she says: "That feeling you have, empowered and sexy - that's the point."

And she's right. I kept my gloves.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Chi Running

Chi Running is impossible to search on this forum. Danny Dreyer is easy.

Chi running marries method and mindfulness
    By Dorene Internicola
    NEW YORK | Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:41am EDT

(Reuters) - Chi Running evolved when a tai chi-practicing ultra-marathoner decided to apply principles from the Chinese system of slow, smooth movement to his running.

The resulting method, which enthusiasts hail as effortless and injury-free, is as specific in form as it is insistent on going with the flow.

"My goal is to turn running into a mindful practice, like tai chi or yoga" said Danny Dreyer, the runner and coach who developed Chi Running and wrote the "Chi Running" book.

"We teach focus: how the arms are held, why the hips and shoulders are relaxed," he said. "It's about learning to pay attention."

Dreyer, who is based in Ashville, North Carolina, said more than 200 instructors worldwide teach his technique, which enlists the Chinese principle of "chi," or energy flow, to reduce injury and enhance ease of movement.

"In tai chi, everything moves from center," Dreyer said. "Runners are used to running from their legs. When I switched to (running from) the core, it changed how I ran. I felt better."

Correct alignment is a tenet of chi running. Posture is the first thing Dreyer works on with clients.

"If posture isn't good, the support system isn't good," he said. "Any weakness or misalignment will really affect you because you're always on one leg," he said, noting that running injuries happen from the knees down.

In his method a forward tilt from the ankles moves the runner's center of mass ahead and allows gravity to take on more of the body's weight.

"The body gets to fall," Dreyer said. "All you have to do is lift your legs."

He also teaches landing with a mid-foot strike to engage and balance the entire foot.

If you're new to running, Dreyer suggests starting with a walk/run sequence to allow the muscles to adjust.

"Run 'til you feel tired, walk 'til you feel recovered," he said. "Our system is based on sensing your own body. If your body says it's too fast or time to go home, you listen."

A runner for 20 years, Chris Griffin said before he discovered Chi Running he was getting injured "on a regular basis." Now he's running injury-free, and faster.

"I knew how to use my body but not how to listen to it," said Griffin, who teaches the method in Marin County, California. "Being focused changed my running from a sport to a practice."

He no longer waits for his body to "crash" to pay attention. Griffin said he doesn't do tai chi but is always "playing around with the energy," and cultivating mindfulness in non-running situations.

"How do I stand in line at store? How do I interact with people? If I'm picking up a bag of groceries I'm trying to be emotionally and mentally aligned," he said.

Connecticut-based exercise physiologist and running coach Tom Holland is a fan of the mind-body connection Chi Running cultivates, but falls out of step with what he sees as the one-stride-fits-all method.

"I think there's no one way to run," said Holland, author of "Beat the Gym" and "The Marathon Method."

He cited a recent study that placed a camera at the 20-mile (32-kilometer) mark of the Boston Marathon.

"It showed all the top runners and not one of them ran the same way," he said. "The truth is there is no one way to do it." Holland believes modern runners' injuries stem mostly from imbalances brought on by inactivity.

"Running is the purest example of what our weaknesses are," he said, most commonly in strength or balance or flexibility. "If we go out for a run and I'm not correcting form people will feel it. Then we fix it."

Sports-specific, strength training exercises work for many people, he said, adding that there's a wealth of such programs available in books and online.

"So many peoples say ‘just run,'" he said. "No one taught the cavemen how to run...But if you're not built for it you're going to have problems."

Dreyer wants his method to connect us with how we ran as children.

"Kids have gorgeous running form and they don't get hurt," he said. "As kids we all ran really well."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Man I'm so starting a Chin Na-ptime school

Does anyone remember the art that Taiwan developed to train law enforcement and military? It wasn't that different but it was made functional through adaption and experimentation.

Bodokon

Timely, given our recent yoga thread...
    Budokon, made in America, mixes yoga with martial arts
    December 24, 2012|Dorene Internicola | Reuters

NEW YORK -- Budokon, a workout program developed in 21st century America, blends the ancient mind-body practices of yoga and martial arts into a program that aims to reward followers with conditioning, mindful meditation and progressively colored karate-type belts.

"Budokon is a yoga, martial arts and meditation trifecta," said Mimi Rieger, who teaches the not-so-ancient practice in gyms, studios and workshops in the Washington, DC area.

An instructor in the 3,000-year-old practice of yoga since 2003, Rieger, founder of Pure Fitness DC, is one of approximately 400 teachers worldwide who are trained in Budokon, which did not exist before 2002.

Although mainly done in the United States, Rieger said she will teach Budokon in Turkey, Denmark and Sweden next year and workshops are also scheduled in London, Germany, Korea and Japan.

She says the hybrid offers the student an intense, full-body workout as it blends the integrity of the martial arts movement with the fluidity of yoga.

"It's like a beautiful symphony of the two," said Rieger, who is among the first women to get a brown belt in the Budokon sequence of six belts: white, red, blue, purple, brown and black.

Budokon, which is Japanese for "the way of the warrior spirit," began in 2000 as the brainchild of Cameron Shayne, a martial arts expert and yoga enthusiast originally from Charlotte, North Carolina, looking to solve a dilemma faced in his own practice.

"Through martial arts I experienced meditation; both yoga and martial arts share self-reflection, but both suffered from the same disease of being stripped down to a westernized workout," said Shayne, founder of Budokon University in Miami, Florida.

A typical Budokon session begins with 20 minutes of yoga sun salutations to, as Shayne says, "lighten and open the body," followed by a martial arts segment of explosive, dance-like movement. The end is a guided meditation.

"There is no breath count; we don't stop," said Shayne, who describes the movements as snakelike. Observers will note echoes of Tai Chi.

"Modern yoga can be very angular. Our primary series is a circular, continuous transition practice," he explained.

Adam Sedlack, senior vice president of UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) Gym, a national chain of family fitness centers specializing in mixed martial arts training, believes the novice should begin with a specific practice before tackling hybrids like Budokon.

"It's more efficient to take a karate class, then a yoga class, and then a tai chi class than it is to combine them," Sedlack said, "so the individual can focus on individual skill sets. The beautiful thing about mixed martial arts is that you're learning a skill while you're working out and burning calories."

He notes that martial arts is as much about the confidence of walking down the street with your head up high as it is about learning to kick and hit.

Richard Cotton, of the American College of Sports Medicine, said Budokon can offer a challenging change for people with more advanced levels of fitness.

"If you're a yoga or tai chi purist, it (Budokon) is not that, but it is variety, and variety is rarely a problem," he said.

He points out that one needn't do Budokon, or yoga or Pilates to have a so-called mind-body experience.

"Running strength training, and certainly golf, can be a mind-body experience if you're staying in touch with your body," he said. "You can have a mind-body walk."

A few years ago Shayne began offering a separate Budokon yoga practice because some people found the martial arts aspect of his practice intimidating or confrontational.

"It became a necessity to give that audience what it was asking for," he explained.

People either love Budokon, he added, or they hate it and that's fine with him.

"I don't need a million people doing Budokon. I don't need someone who walks into class looking for a quick fix," he said. "I need people who feel it as an art."

(Editing by Patricia Reaney and Andrew Hay)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Pilloxing

Been hearing more and more buzz on this one. It's catching on. I think it's the EDM...

Official website

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

See how dance and martial arts combine for a work-out

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips