Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I Fired a CEO Today.

Lightbulb So, I Fired a CEO Today.

Or something to that effect. I quit RadioShack, my employer over the past 4.5 years.

Here's the things:

A few weeks ago, I put in an application at the local Alltel store. They have 100% higher per-hour rates, plus a much better commission compensation plan. Better hours, less prepaid (to be read as rude, arrogant, ignorant, and hateful) customers, and a better corporate atmosphere. Before the day I went in for an interview was over, my district office knew about it. Weird, but I figured it was Alltel hiring calling to verify my information. Anyway.

Ends up, I don't get the job - hiring freeze. Or something. I'm asked to not hold it against the recruiting store, and they requested the option to keep my resume on file and to request a hiring counsel in six months. Late, but okay. Never burn bridges, right?

Another week goes by, everything's koscher at work. Show up one day, see my next week's scheduled hours are 15. That's a 10 plus another five. My minimum is 32. So, I ask my assistant manager (who was given the position after I turned it down. Three times. Yet he's constantly reminding me how he got it so soon after working there) gets smiley, fidgety, and (literally) whiny. I ask him repeatedly if he knows what's going on, but the only responses I get are from an eight year old boy. "Please, dude, just call your boss!" Etc. So, I do. I ask if I've been demoted to part-time. She tells me I have. I simmer.

I explode.

Spend the rest of the day beat red, arguing with her, my co-workers, and many rude customers. I'm requested by district office to maintain my key-holder status, and my security code clearance, and do all the associated duties without the pay.

Whatever. No.

Today, I spend four hours turning the decision over in my mind: keep taking this garbage, day in, day out, for 65% less than I've been making, or fire the whole lot of them. I chose option B.

So, I call my district manager, who is touring the disctrict with his boss' boss, on his cell. I ask him (he immediately puts me on speaker) why I'm being treated the way I have, after my job history and performance with the company. Both iterate and reiterate my applying elsewhere was an act of extreme disrespect and disloyalty to the company, and couldn't go unnoticed (I wish I were making this up). I state my fiscal performance - disloyalty, disrespect. Adherence to procedure, sales guides - disloyalty, disrespect. The boss' boss finally tells me I can keep my 15 hours, or they can drop me to three, then I can work my way up to 15 again, then MAYBE I can get full-time status again, if I prove my loyalty to the -

I say "You know what, Steve? You're fired. You no longer have the privilege of employing me."

I hung up on him.

I think I orgasmed.

I've got a preliminary interview for a management spot at the local Office Depot. If that falls through, a local rent-to-own outlet is blowing up my phone to come in for an interview to take over the store so the region manager there can get back to his other stores.

I'm unemployed.

My options are nice and varied, now. Because of my education (BS in business, eight credits short of degree in exercise science), my experience, and my ability, I'll have another JOB rather quickly.

Next year, I'll be beginning my CAREER. I'll be moving to California, taking a minority piece of a gym there, and starting up.

I'm relaxed.

I'm excited.

Hope you're not bored.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Congrats man. I know it felt good.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post
    Or something to that effect. I quit RadioShack, my employer over the past 4.5 years.

Here's the things:

A few weeks ago, I put in an application at the local Alltel store. They have 100% higher per-hour rates, plus a much better commission compensation plan. Better hours, less prepaid (to be read as rude, arrogant, ignorant, and hateful) customers, and a better corporate atmosphere. Before the day I went in for an interview was over, my district office knew about it. Weird, but I figured it was Alltel hiring calling to verify my information. Anyway.

Ends up, I don't get the job - hiring freeze. Or something. I'm asked to not hold it against the recruiting store, and they requested the option to keep my resume on file and to request a hiring counsel in six months. Late, but okay. Never burn bridges, right?

Another week goes by, everything's koscher at work. Show up one day, see my next week's scheduled hours are 15. That's a 10 plus another five. My minimum is 32. So, I ask my assistant manager (who was given the position after I turned it down. Three times. Yet he's constantly reminding me how he got it so soon after working there) gets smiley, fidgety, and (literally) whiny. I ask him repeatedly if he knows what's going on, but the only responses I get are from an eight year old boy. "Please, dude, just call your boss!" Etc. So, I do. I ask if I've been demoted to part-time. She tells me I have. I simmer.

I explode.

Spend the rest of the day beat red, arguing with her, my co-workers, and many rude customers. I'm requested by district office to maintain my key-holder status, and my security code clearance, and do all the associated duties without the pay.

Whatever. No.

Today, I spend four hours turning the decision over in my mind: keep taking this garbage, day in, day out, for 65% less than I've been making, or fire the whole lot of them. I chose option B.

So, I call my district manager, who is touring the disctrict with his boss' boss, on his cell. I ask him (he immediately puts me on speaker) why I'm being treated the way I have, after my job history and performance with the company. Both iterate and reiterate my applying elsewhere was an act of extreme disrespect and disloyalty to the company, and couldn't go unnoticed (I wish I were making this up). I state my fiscal performance - disloyalty, disrespect. Adherence to procedure, sales guides - disloyalty, disrespect. The boss' boss finally tells me I can keep my 15 hours, or they can drop me to three, then I can work my way up to 15 again, then MAYBE I can get full-time status again, if I prove my loyalty to the -

I say "You know what, Steve? You're fired. You no longer have the privilege of employing me."

I hung up on him.

I think I orgasmed.

I've got a preliminary interview for a management spot at the local Office Depot. If that falls through, a local rent-to-own outlet is blowing up my phone to come in for an interview to take over the store so the region manager there can get back to his other stores.

I'm unemployed.

My options are nice and varied, now. Because of my education (BS in business, eight credits short of degree in exercise science), my experience, and my ability, I'll have another JOB rather quickly.

Next year, I'll be beginning my CAREER. I'll be moving to California, taking a minority piece of a gym there, and starting up.

I'm relaxed.

I'm excited.

Hope you're not bored.
    cool...at least now you got more time to watch gung fu on the internet!.

Thumbs up

strike!

cjurakpt Guest
    stupid people (read: corpy drones), get stupid when presented with incompatible things like logic and appropriate human relations; you were right to keep your soul intact; fu(k 'em - one door closes, another opens...

I for one am glad you got that off your chest instead of killing people.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    enh, go kill someone.

'just kidding'

that reminds me so much of my experience with Waldenbooks back in the mid-90's

and just recently working for a large apartment management company that was so over top corporate that I ended up walking...and was technically unemployed for about 5 weeks.

hope things get better for you.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Vash View Post

I hung up on him.
    Your customer service skills are horrible that's why I had them cut you to 15 hours a week. You'd better not use our store as a reference.

Steve

For such a liberal country, I do think that the labour laws of the USA kind of suck a bit.
    If you were in SA, it would have been impossible for your employer to have done what he did. This is obviously good for employees, but in the same time it sucks for employers who honestly have problems with problematic staff members. You cant just fire someone or demote them out of will down here.

Hope you find a job quickly. Good luck!
    得 心 應 手

蔡 李 佛 中 國 武 術 學 院 - ( 南 非 )

man, that sucks. i am glad you stood up to them.

We essentially have no labor laws anymore. Started with reagon and continued unabated through bush. Welcome to the new feudal system.

you got worked up over a position at radio shack?!
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

Welcome to the real world.

If you turn down 3 promotions, you are of no use to a company. They aren't going to keep giving you raises to stick around and do the same thing that someone less experienced will do a lot cheaper.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MaFuYee View Post
    you got worked up over a position at radio shack?!

it doesn't matter where someone works. only that they do a good job at whatever it is that they are doing.

what this world is lacking is people who take pride in doing good work.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Egg fu young View Post
    Your customer service skills are horrible that's why I had them cut you to 15 hours a week. You'd better not use our store as a reference.

Steve
    steve .... if you fu ck with vash ill have sex with your grandmother. and her lapdog. at the same time. while we chant your name. and say hurtful things about your face. cause its funny lookin. like someone threw up jello on a paper bag.
    where's my beer?