Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron Palm for MMA

Jake it seems like KFM is trying to include the MMA into their magazine. Have you seen their new t-shirt line.

While the article contained the standard information on Iron Palm and its beginner training routine it would have been better to of demonstrated just how it would be useful.

Example like to show some palm techniques utilizing MMA hand gear etc.

The only broken hands I've heard and seen in MMA/NHB was when a punch was thrown. Palm techniques seem to be very rare except in the clinch or guard.

Perhaps a focus on IRON FIST training would have been a better topic

cjurakpt Guest
    what would be interesting to do is to set up a study of 2 groups of MMA guys - one group does IP according to a standardized method (as much as is possible), the other doesn't; then compare them after a few years to see if the incidence of hand injuries was similar (they would all have to engage in bare knuckle fights at a similar frequency), and also if any of the IP groups opponents spontaneously coughed up their spleen a day or two after the fight...

of course, I am being a bit facetious, but my point is this: without any reliable way of gathering relatively objective evidence that supports taking extra time to train IP (which is time away from training other things), not to mention the extra cost involved (instruction, materials, herbs), I am hard pressed to substantiate why it would be favorable in an MMA context over other methods of hand conditioning, such as hitting a heavy bag or whatnot

I am not suggesting IP training doesn't actually have actual physiological effects (e.g. - increased blood flow, decreased pain threshold, increased bone / soft tissue density - nothing that doesn't jive with Wolff's Law regarding the behavior of tissue put under increased loading requirements, BTW), just whether or not it makes sense to apply to MMA

Why wrap your hands when you can hit people and break em?

Thats what a student told me.

Made sense to him to train this as its not only hand training but learning to connect better and passively train relaxation.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

cjurakpt Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Why wrap your hands when you can hit people and break em?

Thats what a student told me.
    well, it is intriguing in one respect: it is arguable that most people who train IP don't have much opportunity to "use it" on a regular basis in the sense that an MMA guy would regularly have opportunities to hit people as hard as possible; in that respect, one could, instead of the old double-blind randomized schtick described above, anecdotally get fighter's feedback re: if they felt any difference in what it was like to hit people before and after doing IP training (anecdotal studies have significant validity as long as they are not taken for more than what they are) and if they found that they were doing more damage on their strikes vis a vis opponent response (or lack thereof, LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Made sense to him to train this as its not only hand training but learning to connect better and passively train relaxation.
    ok, but admittedly the connection / relaxation bit could be practiced in other contexts as well - what it demonstrates is that IP is, obviously, not going to "work" if you have a hand that's rock hard but a body that can't deliver it to its target and generate enough force at the same time - pretty much the same as any other effective method of striking, really; the only thing is, one would arguably want to consider how to segue the "traditional" exercises against inanimate objects to becoming functional in a sparring situation, since the context of delivery, and hence the biomechanics, are different

anyway, it would be interesting to hear about your student's experiences - if indeed it did confer an advantage, it would be wild to see MMA guys doing IP training as part of their overall routine...

Good points all!

Ngok-
    Well I intended this thread to be aimed at Dale, the author, but now that you mention it, yes Gene seems to be trying to tie together MMA and CMA as much as possible this last year of issues or so. Nothing wrong with that IMO (though we need more MMA coverage like we need a hole in our heads! Have you seen how many rags cover MMA!?!?). But I was disappointed at the end result of the article where little, to nothing in it had anything to do with MMA. Not sure if the title was Dale's decision, or Gene's though.

Again, not **** talking Dale, I have mad respect, as I thought it was an excellent Iron Palm article. As a fellow writer, artist, and junior to Dale I posed a question. He answered, and I appreciate it.
    Good conversation guys,
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Jake,

Its all good brother. Like I said, pro and con, its good to hear both side of everything.

It was more focused on the training routine and not on MMA itself.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    Thats an awsome article on GM Tao.
    Ditto, very cool article.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

well, it is intriguing in one respect: it is arguable that most people who train IP don't have much opportunity to "use it" on a regular basis in the sense that an MMA guy would regularly have opportunities to hit people as hard as possible; in that respect, one could, instead of the old double-blind randomized schtick described above, anecdotally get fighter's feedback re: if they felt any difference in what it was like to hit people before and after doing IP training (anecdotal studies have significant validity as long as they are not taken for more than what they are) and if they found that they were doing more damage on their strikes vis a vis opponent response (or lack thereof, LOL)
    In terms of competition, I have not had a chance to use IP.
    The sparring I do uses gloves, and I have always been "heavy handed" according to my sparring partners.
    I did use it VS a motorcycle helmet last year, and I put a crack in it, I didn't think much to hold back on the strike.
    Would I have been able to do that without IP?
    I don't know, but I know that I probably would not have tried it.
    I have demoed the back hand strike and, through 2 yellow pages books, I put a nice red welt on a students chest.
    Again a strike I would not have tried before IP.
    Woudl the results have been the same?
    I don't think so.

I did come into IP with a very solid delivery platform though.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    When was the last time someone broke a hand in an MMA fight from punching when they were wearing 4-oz gloves?
    Hand breaks happen all the time in MMA

Thanks for the props, Lucas and sanjuro_ronin...

The article on Alex Tao is pretty old now, but a fav of mine. I risked my life for that one. Seriously.

As for the title, it was Dale's idea, and we went with it.

As for covering more MMA, we'd be remiss in our duty to not cover it. It's such a huge phenomena and has tremendous impact and implications upon our community. As for the new MMA shirts, well, we got to pay the bills here too, of course. Take a look and let us know what you think. Better still, just buy some.

And as for the server, it's been a huge hassle and we apologize for its recent inconsistency. Our IT person has been working on it for weeks. We plan to move the forum soon. Truth be told, its the forum that's holding us up. It's a mammoth and mammoths are hard to move. I'll keep you updated, of course.

You'll find the table of contents for the new issue is online now here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I risked my life for that one. Seriously.
    Okay, now I have to ask. Can we have a story time?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Iron Palm for MMA

Do you ever wonder why they wrap their hands before putting on the gloves? Same with boxers. Most of their hands are fragile, otherwise they wouldn't be wrapped. Iron palm training would toughen them up tremendously and hit harder. Probably most MMA fighters are not into traditional CMA and wouldn't be aware of such training.

Not to mention there is a large mentality amongst many MMA fighters to out right denounce traditional methods. Generally stating that there is no back up scientifical evidence to prove methodology.

Whilst generally speaking, this element is just due to the fact that "modern scientists" dont spend a lot of time trying to defunk or prove traditional martial arts.

Generally the only studies done on things like this are by people seeking these methods. And as they say, "The proof is in the putting"

The traditionalists recieve the research data personally, by personally researching, through experimentation.

Similar to how many more traditional techniques are now finding room in the MMA arena. Many of these techniques and training methods that are just now being 'discovered' by MMA fighters, are just following suit.

In other words, the traditionalists originally found these techniques to be usable by the same methods the MMA guys are just now 'discovering' what works. By fighting.

Traditional arts are founded in actual combat. Combat that often times were grounded in life and death situations. NOT sport.

Its the same process, and the longer MMA is around, the more traditional methods you will see 'seep' their way into the sport.

Like I always say, " Its about MAKING the technique work" if you can MAKE it work, the success ratio goes up, then more people will try it out.

For instance. Notice all the high kicks are now becoming much more effective in MMA? A few years ago people would rip into you for even suggesting to throw them in a 'real fight'. Now people get KO all the time by them.

even those that are 'evolved' will continue to evolve.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

The glove element takes away many of the IP benefits.
    IP is a long and sometimes painful road, I don;t see many sport combat people with short "life spans" in the sport, devoting their very limited time to IP.
    Not when they could be doing some "immediate gratification" work.

I know a pro boxer who has done IP and his sparring partners have asked him if he had anything in his gloves. All he had was his hands of course.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr