Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Straight Form (Wah Lum)

CCK pai an

From Robert Hui (mantis108):

Pai An (slap press) is a Praying Mantis system partnered drill. In CCK TCPM, this is known as Xiao Kai Men (little open gate). This version is shown with Da Kai Men (large open gate) as a connecting piece.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by ironfenix View Post
    I heard CCK Pai An was called little open gate. To the moves resemble WL by any chance?
    Hi Isreal,
    No relationship whatsoever.

CCK has little and greater open gate which are TJPM versions of Pai An.
    Robert can give the most details on that.

WL Little Open Gate is form with not a single move from Pai An(but some good Mantis).

Kevin

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    SoCo, unless you're going to get into video transferring and editing in a seriousl manner you might save yourself some frustration and just take them someplace to be transferred to both digital files for posting and DVD for your personal collection.

that being said, I had some success with Dazzle products:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...r+Platinum.htm

they don't produce the unit I bought 5-6 years ago but that looks like it's current interation.

it's time consuming though

oh, for just general video and archiving/internet posting I am just using my Canon 7megapixal camera with a video option that can capture at 60 frames per second. the resolution isn't to great but it captures as .avi and immediately downloads to your computer as a postable file to youtube

all the clips on my page at youtube are from this camera:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/xiongfa

there is some degradation in the transfer to youtube. when I take it straight to my dvd recorder the resolution is much better.
    Last edited by Oso; 05-08-2008 at 05:51 PM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yu shan: I was wondering if Shifu would call that movement fanche. I saw some things I could relate to BBLH like 'pierce the ear/reach the sky' too.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    yu shan: I was wondering if Shifu would call that movement fanche. I saw some things I could relate to BBLH like 'pierce the ear/reach the sky' too.
    Which movement?
    Maybe this thread is too long.
    I cant remember how we went from straight form to pai an and video transfer.
    kevin

Straight Form Closing

For the closing in straight form (heel kick to lady horse stance w/grab to low chop), can anyone share the application of this series? I'm thinking a kick to the solar plexus or what ever is open, but then that's where I'm stuck. What are you grabbing. . .a foot? And are you chopping the knee? Help. . .please!

Step back in Lady Horse avoiding a kick to the knee while palm blocking down with the left and, if lucky, grabbing ankle. Uncoil (for lack of a better description) from Lady Horse with knifehand to shin (hopefully hitting some nerves) then right foot stepping across into Lady Horse with right knifehand to throat (as taught to me).

Now my alternate app - instead of knifehand to shin you cup the calf and pull the leg taking opponent off balance then step across into Lady Horse with right knifehand to throat.

That last Lady Horse is in case you don't get a grab on the leg so when the leg drops down your right foot sweeps it taking opponent off balance then finishing with right knifehand to throat.

That's one of the things I like about Wah Lum. If you pay attention you'll find moves that come into play if the first move fails. In this case you didn't get the grab and leg pull so the next move, stepping back into Lady Horse, provides a similar result bringing the lead leg forward pulling opponent off balance.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Thanks

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I have to admit, I've never thought about cupping the calf and pulling into the throat chop.

Amazing what you find when you focus on the moves instead of the forms.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Self-Defense Class

You're right. Hey you might get a kick out of this. I used one of the techniques from Straight form during our self-defense class. I hadn't planned on it, but it just came out. My partner was attempting a front choke or shirt grab, but I saw it coming and immediately did the "double fanout block followed by a knee to the solar plexus". It was such an eyeopener because even though its not the exact technique from the form, I modified it for close range and it worked out perfectly. Funny thing is that we were actually going over another technique, but that one just came out of me w/o really thinking about it. Oh in case your wondering, the technique I modified was the move that comes after the double palm push in SF. -BM