Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

Workout Plan
    Three-Week Primer
    So the different categories for this workout is:
    1. light cardio warm up (5 to 10 min)
    2. dynamic flexibility (15 to 20 min)
    3. strength exercises (25 to 30 min)
    4. static stretches (10 min)

1. light cardio warm up
    -5 to 10 min jump rope or arctrainer

2. Dynamic flexibility
    (Circuit, 10 to 12 reps, 2 to 3 rounds, 15min)
    -Reverse lunge with rotation
    -Reverse gate swing
    -Side lunge & touch
    -Spider man
    -Med ball wraparound
    -Med ball woodchopper

3. Strength Exercises
    (Circuit, 8 to 12 reps, 2 times through, 25 to 30 min)
    -Plank (20-30) seconds
    -Pelvic tilt
    -Supine bridge hip extension
    -Side-lying hip abduction
    -Side-lying external rotation
    -Unilateral dumbbell touch
    -Unilateral romanian deadlift
    -Reverse fly
    -Prone dumbbell row with elbow out
    -Negative chinup (5 second descend)

4. Static stretches
    (3 sets of 30 seconds or 8 to 10 reps, less than 10 min)
    -Wall chin tuck
    -Hip flexor stretch
    -Erector stretch
    -Buetterfly adductor stretch
    -Pike calf stretch
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 03-15-2010 at 03:10 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Did a lot of diet research online tonight.
    There's only one place with registered dietitians that my insurance recognizes in the whole city, my insurance is only going to cover 30% of it, and even 70% of their fee is still too much for my budget at the moment.
    Another registered dietitian online was recommending the "Eating Well" series of recipe books based on the "Eating Well" magazine.

About the Author Jean Harvey-Berino, Ph.D., R.D., developed the VTrim Weight-Management Program upon which The EatingWell Diet is based. Professor and Chair of the department of nutrition and food science at the University of Vermont, she is an internationally recognized expert of weight loss, obesity and nutrition. A distance runner who has completed seven marathons, Dr. Harvey-Berino lives in Hinesburg, VT.

About the Magazine: EatingWell Magazine is the national award-winning magazine recognized by health-care professionals, nutritionists and consumers as the most reliable and sensible source for current healthy-eating facts, advice and highly acclaimed recipes. The EatingWell mission is to make healthy eating a way of life. EatingWell's headquarters are in Charlotte, VT.
    I imagine the series is going to be a little like the Zone diet, with less time spent talking about abstract things like "blocks" and more recipes with pictures.

I've been looking more fore an eating plan/menu rather than abstract ideas about optimal nutrition ratios. I think this'll be right up my alley. Especially considering it's from more of a gourmet point of view than a bland, "cut weight in 2 weeks" diet plan that you usually see.

Going to follow the 4 week menu in the main diet book and then mix & match recipes from a few of the other books.

Every recipe has serving size & nutrition info so logging should be a breeze.

Going to be a little bit of a pain cooking for myself all the time but if it works it's worth it.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

It's like 1 step forward, 3 steps back lately.
    I'm still sick and it seems like my lungs are getting worse.
    Had a coughing fit in the middle of the night last night.
    Felt like burning deep in my lungs, like an open wound, or what I'd imagine lung cancer to be like, and not just normal congestion/fluid in the lungs.
    A little scary, to say the least.
    It's been 2 friggin weeks, I'm sick of being sick.
    I think this may be the fattest I've ever been.

In the meantime, I've been doing more planning work.

Talking to a few coworkers brought up a good point.
    The Eating Well cookbooks I purchased have a diet plan.
    I'm going to have to see if whether or not that diet plan gives good guidance on how to eat when I'm not able to cook for myself.
    I know the main book has a 4 week meal plan that you're supposed to stick to in order to start off the diet, but on the off case I'm unable to cook those meals every single day, I may need to have some other sort of guidance.
    As much as it pains me, I may end up doing weight watchers.
    My coworkers recommend going to meetings for 2 months, getting a feel for how it works, and then going off on my own to do my own thing.
    Personally, I'd rather just do the online subscription.
    The only meetings I can see myself making are the 9am Friday ones.
    They convinced me to go this Friday and check it out.

So Friday I started the weight watchers thing
    i've been a bit hungry & lethargic, but not too bad.
    i've felt okay for normal sedentary life, but haven't felt energized enough to really hit the gym.

prioritizing the diet right now and adding in workouts as i feel motivated to.
    I've done it the other way, prioritizing the workout, and it hasn't gotten me where i want.
    i'm just going to have to be comfortable with the possibility that i'll lose some muscle mass doing it this way, but at this point i'm just tired of being big.

monday morning i was going to get up early and start jogging but my alarm didn't go off.
    Luckily this morning the alarm did go off, so my wife and I went jogging.

Tues Mar 23, 2010
    Did a warm up walking lap of 1/4 to 1/2 mile (think it took about 8 min)
    then we stretched for a couple minutes
    and then we did another lap, jogging at a good clip (took about 5 min).
    total time was about 15min.

not too worried about time, distance, or intensity.
    it's all about laying down a decent foundation to build on.

when i got home i did a quick, little dynamic flexibility routine (no weights):
    backwards turning lunge x 12 (6 each)
    inside-outside gates x 10 each
    unilateral toe-touch squat x 10 each
    unilateral romanian deadlift x 10 each
    side to side lunge x 12 (6each)
    pelvic tilt x 10
    pelvic bridge x 10
    lying leg abduction x 10ea
    lying external arm rotation x 12ea
    spidermans x 10each

after that i ate breakfast and felt nice & a little tired

so far so good
    friday when i started ww i weighed in at 255
    monday night after 3 days on i weighed in at an unofficial 248.8
    anxious to see where I'm at by friday

wow! chop! that is quite a routine! man, u love ur weightlifting for sure!

just curious, when you get older, have you thought about how you would need to change your routine? or how you would be able to keep up with the demands of such a routine?

i have mapped out my own routine recently as well. it has more classical "gongfu" flavor to it(i feel i get the best results from creative training), but it also has some of your fundamental exercises. like, i use very slow push ups a couple times a week. i love those. lots of silk reeling asnd foundational work. got a sweet medicine ball routine worked out too, integrated with silk reeling, so it is basically taiji sphere training, if not the same. tons of squats and lower stance work with lower body conditioning. thats the bread and butter of my routine.

so whats new with ya bro?

Quote Originally Posted by KTS View Post
    just curious, when you get older, have you thought about how you would need to change your routine? or how you would be able to keep up with the demands of such a routine?
    that's kinda why i'm doing more of the bodyweight and dynamic flexibility stuff.
    if you saw a lot of those exercises in action, you'd probably be like "hey! that's my kung fu warm up!".

one thing that kept me from doing a more tried and true formula for weight loss in the past is paranoia over losing muscle mass. didn't want to end up "skinny fat". i've just finally gotten to the point where "skinny fat" is better than "totally fat". so i've gotta embrace that possibility and accept the fact that strength workouts & muscle gains are no longer high on my priority list.

i dream of the day when my bodyweight's down to where i can do some cool exercises. In the mean time i just want to work on my flexibility & my ability to handle the weight i've got. slowly getting into jogging, trying to incorporate those flexibility drills, and i picked up this pullup bar that i can hang from my door frame that i play with a bit as well.

so whats new with ya bro?
    just trying to get my sh!t together.
    you?

exact same thing. making things come together.

btw, gotta love how dealing with an insurance program takes at least 45 minutes.... just to start!
    somedays i am completely busy, some days bored as he11. but, that is a plus about having years of martial arts background, there is always something to work on. and a nearly whole day of freedom, i savor for the most part.
    getting more learn too, so i can play with some tricked out exercises too! haha. jogging, yup, me too. my cardio takes a dive in the winter a bit.
    i use my pull up bars just once or twice a week. they are great for stretching the shoulders. but for pull-ups, i almost prefer the ghetto way of taking two towels and throwing them over a beam in the garage. great for grip strength. i dont know any who can hold themselves up just by a squeeze grip. except for serious fitness buffs.

lost almost 10 pounds first week of weight watchers (9.4 or something).
    so far so good, don't really have much hunger pains.
    My diet battle doesn't really start until I get to the 230s, which means I got another 5 pounds before it should even start getting difficult.

went to the zoo today and nearly fell out.
    felt dizzy just carrying my kid around.
    body just wasn't ready for that level of activity, even though I had a nice sized breakfast.

got my favorite mexican food for dinner because my friend was in town (he's the reason we went to the zoo) and an amazing thing happened: I got an almost bloated level of full from an amount of food that was consistent with the calories/points of the dinners I've been having lately.
    According to the online nutrition values for what I ate, I fell well within my goal for the day.

I might actually, finally be adjusting to proper portion sizes.

Can't get c0cky about it or rely on that always to be the case, coz I've been down that road before and I know it'll slowly creep back up to unreasonable amounts.
    But it was a nice little surprise today.

PS- walmart has this awesome little bicycle thing for office chairs. be nice to burn some calories while i'm at lunch.

just felt like working out tonight

Tues 3/30/2010
    5 min warm up - various types of jumping jacks & running in place

dynamic warmup (12 reps, 12 ea side for unilaterals, 3 times through)
    *backwards twisting lunge
    *lateral dbell touch lunge
    *inside gate swing
    *outside gate swing
    *spidermans
    *med ball twists
    *med ball wood choppers

strength
    *pushups x 10
    *Y-pushups x 5 each side
    *squats x 10 (2 dbells 15lbs ea)
    *lunges x 10 (2 dbells 15lbs ea)
    *bent row w/elbows out x 10 (2 dbells 15lbs ea)
    *negative chinups (5 x 5seconds)
    *med ball situps x 10
    *leg lifts x 10

quick workout, but it kicked my behind pretty good

down 15lbs so far on weight watchers
    going pretty well
    but i had a bad night sunday
    hadn't been eating enough all weekend and just needed to feel "full" for once.
    just going to make up for it with exercise and do better the rest of the week.

some changes coming with my workouts.
    got some things in the works that should help jumpstart my interest again.

assuming i pass my cert test on wednesday, i'll be working swings on base (2pm to at least 10pm). probably have to quit Japanese, but i may have a good opportunity to start working out again (from like 10:30am to noon).

saw this and thought of the resident pork chop

The Pork Chop Express!!
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

I have to get caught up on things...are you still boxing?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter