Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

Intro
    Alright,
    I'm taking another stab at this here blog thing.
    My last one went okay; but I didn't like the fact that I had like 3 separate blogs between the beginning of '06 and the end of '07.
    2006 was a tough year for me in my personal life.
    2007 was a rebuilding phase, but some things had to be torn down before new things could be built - lost my job, but moved to a new city and found a new one; also got a great girl.
    Now, in 2008 I'm hoping I can finally get it right.

In December I joined Gold's Gym here in San Antonio.
    I got a personal trainer, but it wasn't working great and it was just too expensive.
    Started to do my own thing, but it felt a bit too unfocused and repetitive.
    In February I picked up a weight lifting book written by a contributor to Men's Health and t-mag.
    It's aimed at shlubs like me, who run back to the gym too quick, get injured, and get caught in a nasty cycle of starting over.
    I've been working through the book since February, but wanted to make sure I was sticking to it before I started blogging on it.
    FYI, the book is "Better Body Blueprint: The Start-Right, Stick-to-It Strength Training Plan" by Michael Mejia, CSCS.

In addition to Gold's Gym about a month ago I started visiting the local Muay Thai gym. There are 2 coaches there from Thailand and it's definitely a good fit for me - especially the schedule, which was always a problem in Fort Worth. After a couple trial classes I decided to join, eventhough it'll make my budget a little tight.

Methodology
    My goals are:
    1. Lose bodyfat
    2. Gain strength
    3. Recover endurance
    4. Get in Fighting Shape
    5. Fight again (if the circumstances allow me to)
    6. Stick to the plan
    7. Make sure I don't overdo it (doing too much too soon)
    8. Make sure I don't go back to being the guy who does nothing but train (letting other stuff fall to the wayside)

My plan:
    1. Set a baseline in Muay Thai of 2 or 3 times a week that I do consistently, week in and week out, without losing too much energy for normal activities (like cleaning my house, professional development for work, and maintaining my relationship with my gf).
    2. Set a baseline for fitness workouts at Gold's gym of 1 to 2 times a week, under the same guidelines.
    3. Use the above mentioned book for my fitness workouts, adding additional Combat Conditioning type training if necessary.
    4. Clean up the diet via the Zone (once I'm done reading the book). Diets and me don't get along, I hate obsessing over what I'm going to eat, so my goal is more "sensible" than anything else.
    5. Leave the option open in the case of a possible competition- whereby I step up my training & clean up my diet for a minimum of 6 weeks, with the intention of returning back to the baseline once the competition is over.

The Workouts
    My Thai class is pretty much in the hands of my coach; however I will be adding extra heavybag work and Combat Conditioning drills (calisthenics, plyometrics, and interval work). I've been consistent about 2 muay thai classes a week; but I think in the next week or 2 I will move to 3 times.

I've completed the first phase of my workout book, which is aimed at correcting structural imbalances and improving posture. Up till now I've only been consistent with 1 fitness workout a week - I'll need to increase this frequency. I'll detail each phase as I go through it and make extra notes as the book calls for them.

In addition to my scheduled workouts, my girlfriend loves the outdoors. We do a lot of hiking, fishing, rock-wall climbing, and other outdoor activities. These activities have already cut into scheduled workouts somewhat, they can be very tiring, I'll blog about them here as well.

Last, but not least, I've still got a couple of sessions left over with my personal trainer and when they happen I'll blog about them here too.

Thoughts
    I just want to be a lot more patient this time around. I don't want to set unreasonably high expectations and feel like a failure when I can't meet them. Some of my workouts may appear to be too easy, infrequent, or conservative; my diet way too unstructured, but I'm reserving the right to play within the bounds of what I can handle, regardless of how it looks on paper. It's been a long road to where I am right now and I don't want to get obsessed to the point that I don't appreciate and enjoy the great things that have come my way.

Starting the next phase of my workout and will blog again later tonight.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 04-07-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Phase 1

In phase 1 of my program I had to set some goals, take some measurements, and find my weak spots.

Overall Goals
    Be under 200lbs
    Bodyfat %age between 10 and 15%
    Bench 220+lbs
    Squat 365+lbs
    Deadlift 405+lbs
    Be able to perform 10 chin ups or pull ups
    Fit into size 34 pants

2-week Goals
    Lock in a good routine according to the book
    Finish the Zone book
    Establish a baseline workout frequency, preferably 2 times a week

1-Month Goals
    Be under 240lbs
    Increase Bench to 155, Squat to 225, DL to 225, perform 3 chin ups
    Implement the Zone diet

3-Month Goals
    Be under 230lbs
    Increase Bench to 185, Squat 275, DL to 315, perform 5 chin ups
    Increase training frequency to 3 times a week

6-Month Goals
    Be under 220lbs
    Bench 205, Squat 315, DL 365, 8 Chin ups

1-Year Goals
    Be under 200lbs
    Bench 220, Squat 365, DL 405, 10 Chin ups

Starting Stats
    Starting Weight - 245
    Starting Bodyfat %age - 31.3%
    BMR = 2273.5
    Recommended calories for medium workout intensity & frequency: 3500

Self Assessment
    Standing Profile:
    1. Lordosis: Moderate
    2. Kyphosis: Moderate
    3. Forward

Standing Face Forward:
    1. Foot Overpronation - both severe
    2. Knee pinching - both severe

Standing Face Backward:
    1. Shoulder Blade Winging - both moderate

Overhead Squat - Slight over arching

Lower Body Rotational Test - Superior

Modified Sit & Reach - 11 inches - fair/good

Chin Ups - 2

One-Leg Squat:
    1. R Leg - knee out
    2. L Leg - pass

Neutral Spine Pushup - 11

Leg Lowering - between 45 degrees and the floor - Excellent

Slow Situp - Torso up, slight heel lift

Cardiovascular - 52.53 mL/kg/minVO2max - Excellent
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Phase 2

One Month Synopsis:
    Still haven't finished reading the Zone so those related goals haven't been met.
    I'll keep reading the book though and hopefully be able to implement it shortly.

Also, hadn't planned on extra assessment workouts to see if I'm meeting my bench, squat, deadlift, and chin up goals. As a result, I am tempted to just evaluate them at the end of one year - once I've had a phase that covers those exercises. I will say that by the end of one month i was able to do 3, 20-second, neutral-grip, negative chin ups with ease.

My frequency needs to come up. Due to some external factors I wasn't able to make it to Gold's more than once a week for the last 2 or 3 weeks. So I really need to step that up.

I did, however, basically complete my 1 month goal for weight.

Current Stats
    240lbs
    27% Body fat

Phase 2
    The last phase focused on a lot of dynamic stretching, a tiny bit of medium intensity cardio, and just a few weightlifting exercises meant to correct imbalances. This phase is more about laying a foundation to build off of, strength wise. The reps are relatively high rep to build up tendons & ligaments a little before starting to lift heavy. Somewhat of a preparation phase but at the same time demanding of my endurance.

The workouts are broken up into the following categories, in the following order:
    Flexibility
    Strength
    Cardio
    Endurance (aka Using Weights to Burn Fat)
    Core

Phase 2 - Workout 1

Warm up
    5 minutes on the elliptical at an easy pace

Flexibility
    These are done as super sets, with a minute rest between rotations
    8 to 10 reps per exercise (4 to 5 reps per side in the case of unilaterals)
    Went through 2 rotations using 2 10lb dumbbells
    • Rotational Squat
    • Reaching Lunge
    • Side Lunge & Touch
    • Spiderman
    • T-pushup

Strength
    This section consists of Alternating Lunges bookended by supersets.
    Set, Rep Scheme is 10 reps by 3 sets; doing a full 10 reps for each side on unilaterals.
    Rest between sets/supersets is 1 minute or less

Superset 1:
    • Dumbell Squat, Hammer Curl, Press w/20lb dumbbells
    • Lat Pulldown w/ 110lbs

Alternating lunge w/20lb dumbbells

Superset 2:
    • Dumbbell Bench Press with 40, 45, and 50lb dumbbells
    • One-Arm Row, w/ elbow out, w/40, 45, 50lb dumbbell

Cardio
    HIIT on the Elliptical Cross trainer
    3 minute warmup
    15 sets of 15 seconds sprint, 45 seconds rest
    (Total time 18 min)

Endurance
    This part is a simple superset
    done 1 to 2 times (today I only managed once)
    for 15 reps per exercise
    30 to 50 seconds rest between supersets (should I have done more than one)
    • Barbell Squat (just the barbell)
    • Prone Row (T-bar w/1 45-lb plate)
    • Incline Reverse Crunch
    • Incline Press (did a machine with 95lbs loaded)
    • Side Lunge (w/15lb dumbells)

Core
    Did 2 rotations of these exercises in superset fashion with about a minute between supersets
    • Unanchored Sit Up (10 reps)
    • Russian Twist (10 reps each side)
    • Lateral Crunch (10 reps each side)
    • Swissball back extension (10 nut-crushing reps)

Thoughts
    This workout takes about an hour and 20 minutes.
    It feels like you're there for 2 or 3 hours.
    The Endurance superset is almost impossible to do as a superset; as it had me running all over the gym in between exercises.
    For each section there are 2 separate workouts to choose from, I chose workout A. I may choose workout B next time.
    Takes a bit out of you by the end of the workout, but afterwards I feel pretty energized.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

here's a book i'm reading

http://www.amazon.com/Optimizing-Str...694269&sr=11-1

it talks of macro-, meso- and micro- cycles with a macro(edit: oops) cycle being a 'season' as the book was written mostly with the seasonally competitive athelete in mind. However, I think the macro- can be whatever large time frame you decide but the emphasis being that over each mesocycle there be a specific goal (strength, power, endurance) and that as you create the microcycles to reach that goal you can then interchange the workouts to suit what you can do on any given day and as long as you complete all workouts in the mesocycle within the timeframe then you are fine.

I think it's going to help two of my biggest problems:
    1 - boredom
    2 - feeling done in from a days work and trying to get the workout in between work and teaching classes for two hours.

I feel your last goal and thus I'm only going to hit the gym between work and classes on monday/wednesday and saturday mornings and do what I can do there plus the occasional ride on the bike.
    Last edited by Oso; 04-09-2008 at 04:33 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Are you still doing the drumming?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Are you still doing the drumming?
    Not really.
    The group was in Fort Worth, the only close group here is Austin and I don't really have time to be driving an hour and a half up there every weekend.

Went to muay thai last night.
    Came home and had some nikujaga (ground beef n potatoes) and some miso soup.
    Went to bed late, woke up ridiculously late.
    Probably should've had another protein shake yesterday.

i have some stuff for u re: the zone diet... i'll dig it up when i get from work... must be nice to have a\coach ..... i JUST missed your call the other day.... i like the goal setting set up....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    1-Month Goals
    Be under 240lbs
    Increase Bench to 155, Squat to 225, DL to 225, perform 3 chin ups
    Implement the Zone diet
    You weight that much and you can't bench press 155? I don't even weight train and I can bench 185.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderDawg View Post
    You weight that much and you can't bench press 155? I don't even weight train and I can bench 185.
    I can bench 90lb dumbells for reps and crank out 50 pushups whenever I need to. I just get performance anxiety when I'm under the bar without a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    i have some stuff for u re: the zone diet... i'll dig it up when i get from work... must be nice to have a\coach ..... i JUST missed your call the other day.... i like the goal setting set up....
    Appreciate that man. I'll call you asap and we can catch up. When I come up there next month we gotta hang out in the gym a lot- picked up a lot of stuff over the past couple years (albeit some of it contradictory). If I can make copies, got a lot of stuff I wanna give yah.

Sore as heck today.
    Just found out my new dog has distemper and may die- even if he doesn't, the chance for neurological damage is high.
    Kind of bummed today; lots of stuff piling up.
    Have to work real late but if I can, I'm going to hit up Gold's afterwards.

crossfit is BIG on zone eating..... check there nutrition forum http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    i haven't gone that deep into it.... but my eating is getting better.... well except for the cookies.... reeses pie and beer

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    crossfit is BIG on zone eating..... check there nutrition forum http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8
    i haven't gone that deep into it.... but my eating is getting better.... well except for the cookies.... reeses pie and beer
    Thanks for the hookup.

Overdid it a little on tuesday.
    My legs are still hurting.
    Last night with everything going on, I got out of work at 8, picked up some beer & sushi at the grocery store, went home and just chilled with my girl n my dog.
    This morning the legs are still hurting but I'm going to try to make it to muay thai anyway.
    My vacation to houston this weekend might be out the window because of the dog.
    so i may be able to throw in an additional workout or two then.

Dog's in the hospital again, this time getting IVs.
    Have to go pick him up after work, so it remains to be seen if I'll be able to get back into the gym.
    My weekend trip to Houston's definitely a no-go, so at least I'll be able to sneak in a couple workouts.

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET