Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

worked out once in the last week plus (my last post) and I just don't feel like working out yet.
    My shoulder's still bugging me - cramps up & spasms; think it's a muscle thing not a joint thing.
    maybe i'll try to work out one day this week.
    have plans to go to the gym tomorrow with a coworker and am already a couple hours ahead on my time for the week.
    probably take off early and at least do that - go to the thai gym too if i feel up to it.

Lately, i've been thinking about giving it all up, joining a swim team, and going full time till I lost the weight. It's about the only working out I really feel like doing.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Lately, i've been thinking about giving it all up, joining a swim team, and going full time till I lost the weight. It's about the only working out I really feel like doing.
    i know the feeling...this is all i've been into lately..... with some sparring here and there..... i'm good.... i know i'm gonna miss getting in the ring while at the fights this weekend tho.... brandon should do well... he's been kickin' my butt lately....

don't give up..... i think u are just a bit overtrained..... niggas ain't 24 no more..... you gotta rest up and get more massages from wifey

my advice........ stop stressin' the weight..... keep training.... get good rest..... just have fun with it..... the body is gonna adapt how it wants to.....

and chill out with those men's health workouts
    Last edited by Suntzu; 06-17-2008 at 07:33 PM.
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yea, what he said.

martial arts has been such a stresser for me the last 7 years that I feel on the verge of throwing the towel in too.

but, I'm gonna keep doing the fu 3 days a week, get more regularish exercise in, get the fug back on my bike and try to keep the rest of my life straight.

R - didn't know you rode...where are the mtn pics from? you're welcome down here anytime, we've got some more than decent rides...many of them 5 minutes from the house.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

o - i just started like a month ago.... several face plants later, i'm hooked.... the pics are from new zealand.... i wasn't into riding then, sadly..... but i did try out their muay thai and judo....

many of them 5 minutes from the house.
    i wish..... i'll have to take u up on that once i get my $ right....

join the group, we need members... even tho its not ready to launch....

[/hijack]

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Thing is, I was trying to take it slow with the 3 days a week.
    I didn't want to be totally about training all the time anymore; but I ended up becoming that guy anyway.

I've been pushing it so hard in the gym coz I keep getting told "oh if you weighed 30 pounds less, you could fight next month". This is probably the 4th gym I've heard that from; coz even hard sparring doesn't exhaust me & my technique's pretty clean.

The other week, tripling up on my training really burned me out... and i probably just need more rest from it; just have this feeling like a week shoulda been enough.

I have absolutely no interest in hittin stuff at the moment and I guess that's the biggest problem.
    I figured after a week of doin very little that I'd be amped to get back into the gym.
    Instead, there's a significant part of me that doesn't really care if I don't go back

I've talked it over with a few people and taking a couple months off to join a swim team & drop some pounds doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm constantly stressed over training coz I can't get roadwork in like other fighters.
    With weight being such an issue for me, this point is driven home extra hard, coz what I'm doing isn't really working in that capacity.
    I really like swimming and it's my lds cardio of choice, plus i have a history of it shedding weight off of me (in high school, college, and after).

The problem with swimming is that I'm at the level where it'd require a serious time commitment to see good results.
    I have a pool I'm already paying for, but I think I'd get a lot more out of a formal practice with a coach; so that ends up being a monetary commitment as well.
    If I spend 2 or 3 months swimming 3 times a week for a couple hours a shot, with some weight lifting & sprinting on the sides, I should drop a good 20 pounds.

I also keep looking at other aspects of my life and feel like I'm just letting too much drop.
    I haven't been studying japanese much at all.
    Aside from some lasagna last week, i haven't been cooking at all.
    Haven't been taking my dog to obedience school or taking my girl dancing or a lot of the other stuff I'd said I wanted to stay on top of.

Swimming addresses this, coz a couple hours in the pool doesn't have the after-effect that a couple hours hitting the bag and sparring do; with the bumps, bruises, and sheer trauma.
    I'm not going to have to walk around smelling like old people, busting out a half a tube of Icy Hot to be able to sleep at night. The nagging injuries have basically taken my normal insomnia to a whole new level. That's why I'm so un-focused in the other areas of my life.

I may just drop the muay thai down to once a week & spend more time doing the other stuff.

These are the 3 swim teams I'm considering:
    http://www.geocities.com/bjbigsplash/
    http://www.mastersofsouthtexas.org
    http://www.nisd.net/aquaww

I'm leaning towards the first one with both am and pm practices.
    Probably call tomorrow.

PS
    Rock-

nice website.
    I do get at least 2 massages a week from my girl.
    Wow, brandon's really improved, hope he does well.
    You really don't like my workouts huh?
    Oso-
    Ultimately, yeah, I'd just like a little more balance.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 06-17-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: PS
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

You really don't like my workouts huh?
    i'm more of a Westside/"Hybrid" guy atm.... the stuff u are doing isn't bad tho.. just giving u sh!t.....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    i'm more of a Westside/"Hybrid" guy atm.... the stuff u are doing isn't bad tho.. just giving u sh!t.....
    Well I'm doing it more for hypertrophy, coz I'm tired of looking like Louie Simmons

Went to muay thai today.
    Kru wasn't there so I explained my situation to the assistant instructors and wrote the gist of it down on the sign in sheet next to my name.

They didn't argue with me, kinda seemed to understand where I was coming from.
    Especially after i explained that weight's my biggest issue, that I'm not losing much weight from the workout, and the weight is putting a lot of added stress on my body doing the workout - putting a lot of wear & tear on this old body.

Went through class.
    Was not a normal class.
    Kung fu guy down there took over.
    So we did a TON of calisthenics.
    BTW- at the start of the workout the official reading for san antonio was 98 degrees; cooled down to 91 by the end.

I did what I could but we weren't resting, just wave after wave of bodyweight exercises.
    My shoulder was shot so by the time we got to 8 count (2 pushup) burpees, I only did a few of the 10, but made up for it with the 10 reps of 1-2 sprawl.
    At least I made it through the 75 pushups in the first part of the workout.
    We even did horse stance drills & wing chun chain punching.
    Some of the more pointless stuff I had a hard time really pushing it.
    The front half of the class also missed the first half of the workout, so those of us in the back felt like we were slacking - when i looked over, the other 2 guys with me were dying also.

We did some bags and pads.
    That was kinda the easy part.
    I knocked out the roundkick holder. LOL
    He was using an old-fashioned big kicking shield for catching roundkicks to the body and it was just way too much stress on his ribs & abs; poor choice by the instructor.

Finished up with some boxing pad work.
    Sharp pains in my shoulder but i think i did alright.

When I do start swimming, I may have to ease into it a little slow.

Hey man,

Some of the guys I am training with right now are taking this stuff,
    http://www.supplements.net/SuperCiss...FQ4hnAod3Hf9WQ

it is supposed to do wonders at rebuilding joints and healing injuries, just an idea from one who has been held back more that enough in the last two years by being hurt. A few f my boys swear by it

I feel ware your coming from, last summer I had a "crisis" about why I was training, it was the first time in 5 years that I lost my motivation, ended up doing some serious couch surfing and watching a lot of south park for a few months, but worked thru it and am better for it.

Just sayin I feel you,

One.
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

brandon won.... 3rd round... rear naked.... put the dude to sleep....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Thumbs up

Wow man, it sounds you're getting really down here.

I haven't been around much, what up with your shoulder? Tendonitis?

It sounds like you need a bit of a break, think about something else for a while and then re-evaluate.

I had shoulder issues for a while and it was weird but BJJ pretty much took care of it for me.

Although I haven't trained in BJJ in about a year.

Not sure where I'm going here brother but hang in there. Mix it up a bit. Take a break. Do something different.

Good luck.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu View Post
    brandon won.... 3rd round... rear naked.... put the dude to sleep....
    Wow! Congrats to him! Brandon's becoming a beast... must be something about guys named brandon from baltimore, huh?

Fights this weekend really picked me up.
    A lot of guys came down from my old gym from fort worth.
    I didn't know it but the guy I been working with for the past couple months was scheduled to fight a friend of mine from my old gym.
    I found out about them fighting like 5 minutes before the fight; what sux is that i even called weeks before the event to find out and make sure there wasn't a conflict of interest there..
    They had a close fight, but the guy (Sergio) from new gym had better hands and a better clinch.

The rest of the fighters from Fort Worth all won their fights.
    One of them kind of got a gift decision against one of Kru Pong's guys out of Houston - apparently the judges didn't feel like scoring kicks because dude was dominating with kicks.

Went out to dinner with the Fort Worth guys afterward.

Started swimming this morning.
    It was SO much fun, got a bit tired by the end and was a lil pukey at one point.
    Looks like it's gonna cost a pretty penny - going to run about what muay thai costs monthly.
    I feel real good today from waking up early & working out, i think it's worth the cost.
    Going to take a long lunch this afternoon and go get swimming gear.
    My shoulder's bothering me a little bit - mostly a dull ache and a bit of a sore-muscle feeling, if i stretch it at awkward angles i can get some sharp pain, but not like last week.
    It was almost healed over the weekend.
    I think it's a strained muscle and not a joint thing.
    Swimming's about the least-impact thing I can do with it; aside from not using it at all.

So the plan right now is to swim every morning this week that I can wake up.
    Next week I'll try doing some two-a-days: morning practice 6-7; evening practice 5:30-7.
    If my shoulder lets me I want to lift some weights a couple times a week, on the same program I just started the other week.
    I want to work up to two-a-days 5 times a week for swimming, 2 weight sessions, and a muay thai + combat conditioning session (if I figure what to do about tuition).

Started out the diet this morning; it's still early to tell how that's gonna go.

I like waking up early.
    Might be the solution to my insomnia.
    For now I'm hyped to do the swimming; once I get 3 or 4 weeks of the routine under my belt, it will become habit.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 06-23-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    Wow man, it sounds you're getting really down here.
    I haven't been around much, what up with your shoulder? Tendonitis?
    It sounds like you need a bit of a break, think about something else for a while and then re-evaluate.
    I had shoulder issues for a while and it was weird but BJJ pretty much took care of it for me.
    Although I haven't trained in BJJ in about a year.
    Not sure where I'm going here brother but hang in there. Mix it up a bit. Take a break. Do something different.
    Good luck.
    Thanks Chief.
    I wasn't thinking about giving up, just a change in the focus of my training.
    The weight gets me frustrated; coz it really holds me back - so I'd like to knock it out of the way.
    Growing up, I was a swimmer, never a runner.
    So there's something very satisfying about getting back into it.

The shoulder might be tendonitis, but I think I just strained the muscle when I was doing decline dumbbell presses almost a month ago.
    I only worked out 2 times in the last 2 weeks; so while that might not be enough rest for my shoulder, I really don't want to sit sidelined much more than that.

Satori
    I ordered some of that stuff, coz I had to reorder some supplements.
    let you know once I've tried it.

Monday
    I ended up doing an evening workout coz my coworker wanted me to teach him.

3 rounds jump rope
    3 rounds shadow (1 empty hand, 1 with 5lb weights, 1 with gloves & kicks)
    3 rounds heavybag (1 boxing, 2 hands & feet)
    3 rounds thai pads (1 boxing, 1 boxing & knees, 1 hands & feet) - I just held during these rounds

then lifted weights for a lil, trying to be wary of my shoulder:
    3 sets of 10 lat pull down: 130, 140, 150
    3 sets of 10 seated row: 100, 130, 160 (last 2 reps sukt)

finished up with ab circuit:
    2 times through
    10 reps apiece (10 each side)
    incline reverse crunch, hyper extensions (back), incline crunch, lateral crunch, weighted twists w/90lbs

Tuesday
    My dog ate something that made him sick so he woke us up at 4 in the morning.
    Went swimming again this morning for about an hour and a half (got there early).
    It was intense and I'm a little tired.
    My shoulder's doing alright though.
    Sticking to my diet pretty well; not strict as just oatmeal - eating some veggie soups, but I think it's good for what I need & much better for portion sizes.

Wednesday

Hard time waking up this morning.
    Went swimming and fell a little behind on one of the sets because I chose to do backstroke, while everyone else did the faster freestyle; ended up trying to play catch up until I had to take a break.
    Put me about 350m behind on the total workout, but my warm up was 400+m and I did a 100m cooldown so I think it shoulda balanced out.
    When I was resting, coach told me to take Thursday off & come back strong on friday.

Supposed to lift & do muay thai with my coworker tonight.

Eating clean as heck, was rough the first day or two, but I think I'm starting to get used to it.

Wednesday part 2

So I took a 2 hour nap after work and then went to go work out with my coworker.
    Ate a couple carrot sticks before I went so it wasn't completely on an empty stomach.

started off with sprints on elliptical cross trainer
    The machine's real weird, it only has set sprint intervals of increased resistance, not like the aerobic cross training routine of LifeFitness elliptical cross trainers.
    I set the resistance like 15 on regulars (which is pretty high) and 17 or 19 on sprint sessions (which is really high). I tried to recreate the aerobic cross training routine on my own, but it just wasn't the same. Got a good workout,b ut I miss my old machines.

after that we did leg workout

squats:
    135 x 10
    185 x 10 - my buddy didn't like my form on this one, was going down low but not looking up enough or squeezing my shoulder blades tight
    225 x 5 - this one my form was good but I was going "thighs parallel" instead of "low as I can"
    275 x 5 - this one was horrible, felt like quarter reps, was scared to go too low
    275 x 5 - took a wider sumo stance, my buddy said i was doing really well & it looked easy.

lunges:
    mini olympic bar (i think it was 25 or 30lbs) + 25lbs on each side for a total weight of 75~80lbs
    Did 3 laps across the length of the upstairs section of the gym, 10+ steps each leg
    real good workout, each time i lifted the weight off my shoulders & set it down after the set was over, my heart started racing for at least a good 30 seconds.

then we went into the muay thai kinda workout
    3 min rounds 1 min rest
    3 rounds of jump rope
    3 rounds of shadow (first round boxing, punch + kicks after that)
    3 rounds of heavybag (first round boxing, punch + kicks after that)
    3+ rounds of thai pads (with defense work)

Feeling pretty good, just a lil tired.
    The boxing round on the heavy bag put some strain on my shoulder but otherwise it's been feeling good today.

Diet more on point than ever.