Page 16 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: All Aboard the Pork Chop X-press!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    oh i just don't get how my weight can fluctuate *that* much.
    I was 224 Saturday morning after breakfast, with no real sweat going.
    I was 233 yesterday at the beginning of the workout, 229 by the end.

My mantra thus far has been not to obsess over the weight - to just focus on being able to do crazy things in the gym, and it's done me well; but Saturday the one guy that showed up from outside our gym was 191. Couldn't go up against him coz of the 30lb weight difference. I'd like to get under 200 without any crazy dieting. I think I just gotta stay focused on getting the work done in the gym.

My usual training partner (said yesterday he's 6'3.5") weighed in at 210 on saturday and was down to 185 earlier this week. He was back up to 212 yesterday; which is kind of a relief, the idea of him fighting at 185 is scary. lol One of the other guys I work with is exactly 6 foot and weighed in at 245 yesterday, he'd probably be pretty cut at 225; he's real strong too.

The next 4 to 6 weeks will be focusing on raw strength so I imagine my weight's not going to be too cooperative.

Got another interclub May 16th and I might possibly have a spot on a local card in June, July's still my main goal.
    We all have a natural BW, a weight that we maintain WITHOUT dieting, exercise or eating like a pig.
    That should be our goal.
    It will fluctuate as we age and such, but that is to be expected.
    But, if your weight is all over in a space of hours, it may will be just your scale.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    We all have a natural BW, a weight that we maintain WITHOUT dieting, exercise or eating like a pig.
    That should be our goal.
    It will fluctuate as we age and such, but that is to be expected.
    But, if your weight is all over in a space of hours, it may will be just your scale.
    Good point about the scale.
    I thought 224 was low on Saturday just like I think 233 was high yesterday.
    My home scale's a lot more reliable.

When I'm eating normal (ie moderation - not too much bad, not too much good) & not killing myself in the gym, for the last 2 or 3 years my weight is pretty stable in the low 230s.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Thursday 3/19
    mma gym yesterday for a lot of bag work - even got in some slip bag and double end bag rounds.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Good point about the scale.
    I thought 224 was low on Saturday just like I think 233 was high yesterday.
    My home scale's a lot more reliable.

When I'm eating normal (ie moderation - not too much bad, not too much good) & not killing myself in the gym, for the last 2 or 3 years my weight is pretty stable in the low 230s.
    If your weight is stable in the 230's you will have to accept that, regardless of what you do in terms of diet and exercise, it will creep up there when you stop for whatever reason.
    So don't beat yourself too much when it happens.
    Besides, on some people their weight can fluctuate quite a bit from the tiem they wake up to the time they go to sleep.
    anywhere from 5 to 8 lbs in some cases.

Friday 3/20
    Had a good workout Friday night.
    Got to class early and worked hard.
    Finally got to kick the new pads - unfortunately they're tearing up my kru's arms real bad so someone's gonna have to get him some others.
    ended the night sparring with no shin guards - kinda got sloppy but not too terrible.

Weight was down at 223 by the time I got home - it was hardly what i'd call a killer workout and I wasn't completely sweat-out either...

So Saturday my dog had a vet appointment.
    Sunday there was no workout
    and Monday I got my eyes dilated, so I couldn't see.
    The good news, my eyes are officially 100%, she checked for the damage I incurred in 2005 and it has completely healed!!!!

Tuesday 3/24
    My first big workout day in a while, probably since the week before the fight.

At Gold's
    10 minutes of tough cardio - like 90% max
    Assisted pullups - 10 plates (38lb assist) x 8, 8 plates (30lb assist) x 8, 8 plate x 8
    Deadlifts (tried to do traditional) - 135lbs x 8, 225 x 8, 225 x 8

At the mma gym
    lots of calisthenics for the first half
    lots of partner/technique work for the second half

At muay thai
    didn't get there too early so not a lot of extra time, but did manage to sneak in some hard core calisthenics with the weight vest before everyone else finished jumping rope.
    shadow & technique work with a newbie
    3 absolutely killer rounds on pad work - my rear/left kick didn't feel powerful at all, my switch actually seemed a lot harder
    finished up with 2 rounds of pretty hard sparring with my 6'3 friend, got a bloody nose, was the first time i'd been popped good in the face in a while.

Overall, a hot day, so I was even cramping up by the muay thai gym.
    I was in survival mode most of the sparring, made a few tactical errors, but overall I think it was a decent accounting of myself. It wasn't easy, I feel like I've got some stuff to work on so i feel like it's part of the improvement process.

Wow this thing's out of date.

Wednesday 3/25
    had an old man day just took it easy

thursday 3/26
    4 workout day

30 min of cardio in the morning

at lunch went to golds:
    10 min on the elliptical, warmed up for 2 minutes, then did 6 rounds of tabatas (20s on 10s off), 1 min active rest, then 6 more rounds and cooled down for a minute.
    squats - 135 x 8, 185 x 8, 185 x 8 - 185 was pretty difficult and i was exhausted, 3rd set easier tho
    overhead press - 95 x 8, 105 x 8, 105 x 8 again, 2nd set probably worst

went to mma gym to workout, good amount of calisthenics, stretching, & bag work for about an hour

went over to the muay thai gym, traffic was bad so i got there a little later than usual, still did extra stuff at the beginning with the weight vest. by the end of class, i was starting to fade REALLY bad (I blame part of it on the 13 y/o kid i was stuck working with, became frustrated & unmotivated). Stopped working out at 8:30.

Friday 3/27
    Legs RIDICULOUSLY sore from the squats.
    Mixing weights back in is really messing me up.
    Heavybag came in but UPS made me pick it up, wasted from 7:30 to 9:30 going to get it.
    No chance to work out.

Saturday 3/28
    Still real sore.
    Could barely even kick.
    Went to muay thai gym for a workout - did weight vest & medicine ball stuff, but took it easy on my legs. Finished up with a bunch of rounds of boxing padwork.
    Had trouble with following combo, (l = lead, r = rear):
    jab - l hook - l upper - cross - l upper - r hook - l hook

Sunday 3/29
    Rested - did housework, shopping, and went to the movies.
    Walked my dog 3 times.

Monday 3/30
    went to the mma gym after work - did lots of calisthenics.

muay thai gym after that - more calisthenics.
    spent the second half of class working with this new guy.
    kind of a cr@ppy workout.
    after class was over, this pro mma guy kept boxing sparring with folks.
    he's kind of a bully, he hurt one of the guys i train with and when the guy was shelled up, he threw like a 20 hit combo, like he was trying to finish him.
    something about it really bothered me.
    i told him "i don't react well to people trying to run me over, so better josh than me. i end up getting angry, not in the sense of making mistakes, but in the sense of not being friendly no more".
    I didn't mean it to be threatening, but in retrospect it probably was.
    He responded with "I was going light on him", to which everyone there replied "no, you didn't".
    Part of me does want to hurt the guy on general principle.
    He's a nice guy usually but he's taking out his divorce issues on people in the ring.
    Not a huge fan of hard sparring all the time - once in a while's okay; but i'm definitely not a fan of people that try to hurt their partners.
    It's a real boxing attitude maintained by folks that hang their reps on their gym battles and doesn't really lend itself to having a long career.

Monday 3/30
    went to the mma gym after work - did lots of calisthenics.

muay thai gym after that - more calisthenics.
    spent the second half of class working with this new guy.
    kind of a cr@ppy workout.
    after class was over, this pro mma guy kept boxing sparring with folks.
    he's kind of a bully, he hurt one of the guys i train with and when the guy was shelled up, he threw like a 20 hit combo, like he was trying to finish him.
    something about it really bothered me.
    i told him "i don't react well to people trying to run me over, so better josh than me. i end up getting angry, not in the sense of making mistakes, but in the sense of not being friendly no more".
    I didn't mean it to be threatening, but in retrospect it probably was.
    He responded with "I was going light on him", to which everyone there replied "no, you didn't".
    Part of me does want to hurt the guy on general principle.
    He's a nice guy usually but he's taking out his divorce issues on people in the ring.
    Not a huge fan of hard sparring all the time - once in a while's okay; but i'm definitely not a fan of people that try to hurt their partners.
    It's a real boxing attitude maintained by folks that hang their reps on their gym battles and doesn't really lend itself to having a long career.
    Sometimes people "confuse" sparring with "fighting".
    Sometimes people confuse "hard" contact with "full" contact.
    Sometimes some people are just asses.
    When I was younger I used to like those people, they made a nice sound when you left hooked their liver...
    As I got older I realized that I don't care much for people that take aways the fun of training from other people.
    I tend to make things for easy on anyone I Spar, I do it for fun, if someone wants to go hard I just tell them to think wither they wanna go hard or not, if they answer with the "its how I roll", I Knock them out or I get knocked out, either way, it will cost them cause, even when I lose, I take a piece of you with me, that I promise.

I tend to make things for easy on anyone I Spar, I do it for fun, if someone wants to go hard I just tell them to think wither they wanna go hard or not, if they answer with the "its how I roll", I Knock them out or I get knocked out, either way, it will cost them cause, even when I lose, I take a piece of you with me, that I promise.
    That's kinda my mentality as well.
    I wanted my buddy to just dig in and fire back - coz at least if he went down, he'd go down swinging, instead of just being beat on, nonstop when he was shelled up.

One of the unfortunate side effects of the conversation we were having afterward is that i think at least one of my normal partners has it in his head that he needs to turn up the heat on me now; which means I'll probably have to "earn my stripes" again....
    Argh...
    by the 5th time you go through this type of stuff it just gets old.
    I don't want to be like one of those fighters from Kronk gym that goes to war every week and sounds like mushmouth before he's 45.

Yo...Adrian...

holy cr@p
    i just found out the dude was wearing fight gloves:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L81GK4/...0&linkCode=asn

What did the coach/head instructor have to say about this?

Playing devils advocate though, you go into a gym that trains fighters and you step into the "ring" with one, well...they always tend to have "heavy hands"...

What did the coach/head instructor have to say about this?

Playing devils advocate though, you go into a gym that trains fighters and you step into the "ring" with one, well...they always tend to have "heavy hands"...
    They waited till after the coach was gone to start sparring (never a good idea in my experience).

Yes, sh!t happens when you spar. But the key is what do people do when it happens. If one guy shells up and is obviously not a threat, is the other guy justified in wailing away at him - in my opinion no, unless he'd done something egregious to begin with.

Tues 3/31
    went to gold's at lunch for 30 min of cardio

night time went to the muay thai gym an hour early and worked hard straight through.
    afterwards i was down at 221, a new record.
    had japanese steak and salad afterwards.

talked that issue with that sparring session over with my coach - said i wasn't trying to rat anyone out, but that the whole thing just didn't make any sense to me, and was my understanding of training for a fight wrong. I didn't understand one guy putting his body through that with very little to gain, i didn't understand the other guy teeing off on someone that wasn't even a challenge. The Thai mentality is not big on hard sparring sessions - if they're gonna get hurt doing something they're going to get paid for it (or at the very least add to their amateur record). That fits a lot more with my personality. Hard sparring once in a while is okay as long as it's competitive (and supervised). so it kinda eased my mind a bit.